Kuiu/Sitka help

whtlhnter

FNG
I understand the Kuiu system and am new to Sitka. My question is what Sitka items are similar to kuiu ones. Sitka has so many different options and I’m a little confused. If I were to buy Kuiu the items below are on my list for My September Colorado Elk hunt.

What Sitka item is equal to the following Kuiu items?

Pro pants
Merino 125
Merino 210
Kenai Vest
Axis Jacket

Thanks in advance.

I'll do my best, but others can correct me if I'm way off..

Pro Pant = Timberline
Merino 125 = Merino Core Lightweight
Merino 210 = Merino Core Heavyweight
Kenai Vest = Kelvin Lite Vest
Axis Jacket = Jetstream

OP
W

whtlhnter

FNG
I'll do my best, but others can correct me if I'm way off..

Pro Pant = Timberline
Merino 125 = Merino Core Lightweight
Merino 210 = Merino Core Heavyweight
Kenai Vest = Kelvin Lite Vest
Axis Jacket = Jetstream

Thank you. Can you speak to the 2019 Sitka merino vs synthetic on odor?

Can you speak to the 2019 Sitka merino vs synthetic on odor?

I can't, sorry. The only Sitka base layer I've owned is the core heavyweight 1/4 zip but sold it because I wore it as a mid layer but wanted something in a full-zip.

I have been wearing a First Lite Chama and Kiln for the past several years, and typically run Minus 33 bottoms (until I can get some Kuiu zip-offs).

xcutter

WKR
Thank you. Can you speak to the 2019 Sitka merino vs synthetic on odor?
The new silver they put in the garments is a big help with body odor. I wore a Core Heavyweight Hoody for 5 days this spring turkey hunting and it never did have bad odor to it. I'm impressed. Love merino but I'm leaning more to trying the new silver infused garments they offer.

The closest you’ll get is the mountains, but the attacks have the hip vents. Just go attacks in a solid color. I use the apex for September in Colorado. Sold my attacks, mountains, alpines, and tiburons. Yes I know I have a problem. The fleece grid in the apex allows for airflow for cooling and has just enough warmth IMO. If not, I’ve always got the 145 zip off base layers to go on underneath.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Was the core hoody the 2019 version. That’s what I’m considering.
I wore the 2019 lite weight hoodie for 10 days turkey hunting this spring. still had very little smell. I figured the 10 days was a good test. I never owned any of the older stuff so i cant compare

K_pem

WKR
I went to KUIU pants and base layer bottoms and im not looking back. For windstopping nothing has beaten the Jetstream jacket/vest or the mountain vest. You just cant beat the gore windstopper for its purpose, even if its just a mountain vest.

My September system is going to look like this:
KUIU Kutana or Alpine pants (possibly the talus pants if i decide to pick them up)
FL aerowool boxer
FL aerowool T
KUIU 97 fleece hoodie
KUIU 97 fleece bottom
Sitka Mountain vest until temps drop to warrant the Jetstream vest
KUIU Kenai jacket (for now, entertaining the idea of the FL Brooks or KUIU SD for warmth/weight savings)
Cabelas space rain gear or Sitka Cloudburst (if i know its going to be wet non stop)
FL Mercury or Mt athlete socks

Now this is totally different from my mid and late season set ups when i will trade out my vests for jackets and light midlayers for heavier ones ect.

OP
W

whtlhnter

FNG
Thanks for all your replies. I’ll type up something when I finish my kit and a post review after the hunt.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't, sorry. The only Sitka base layer I've owned is the core heavyweight 1/4 zip but sold it because I wore it as a mid layer but wanted something in a full-zip.

I have been wearing a First Lite Chama and Kiln for the past several years, and typically run Minus 33 bottoms (until I can get some Kuiu zip-offs).

I personally like the 2019 merino. It is a synthetic merino blend. It holds warmth, but it will also remove moister from the body on a long hike in/out. It will also depend on the hunt and what style of hunting you're going to be doing.