Kuiu Ultra Merino 120 LT Series

LightFoot

WKR
Got my in the mail yesterday. Season opens in 8 days and I will report back my thoughts on it compared to the 125 regarding hunting/hiking in the miserable heat
Following

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
hows the fit ? normal kinda fit or tighter fit?

Sorry guys- let me clarify what I have and what I have been using for years. I have always used the zip or zip hood 145 (not 125) as my go to summer early fall shirt.

I got the 120 hood shirt.

Just tried on my zip and zip hood purchased in the last 12 months. I also dry my shirts all in size XL. The new 120 does feel a touch thinner/lighter than the 145, but nothing mind blowing. I believe the 120 fit is just perfect new out of the box and is about 1/2-1” longer and looser in the chest area then my 145 i dry in dryer.

A big improvement, IMO, is the arm sleeves fits my arms much better in the 120 then the 145 despite drying them a few times. The last few shirts I got the 145 sleeves were really baggy and sucked compared to the 145 of old.

Forecast shows a chilly 98 on the opener - we will see how the new shirt does in comparison.

Also for what it’s worth I have the new Tiburon shirt- but I feel more sticky and clammy and doesn’t wick away the sweat as fast as kuiu merino.

Also for what it’s worth I have the new Tiburon shirt- but I feel more sticky and clammy and doesn’t wick away the sweat as fast as kuiu merino.
i hated the tiburon fabric as a shirt too. wouldnt breath just got clammy. have you tried the gila hoody? although it does have some odor treatment, if you are day hunting that's my favortite for 90+ temps.

JNDEER

WKR
i hated the tiburon fabric as a shirt too. wouldnt breath just got clammy. have you tried the gila hoody? although it does have some odor treatment, if you are day hunting that's my favortite for 90+ temps.
Gila for me felt sticky like other poly shirts and it seemed to radiate heat against my skin more- like the shirt itself gets hotter then wool shirts and thus makes my skin feel hot too. Could be psychological- lol.

In HI even hunting Lanai in august I stayed with the 145- sure hope this 120 performs better. If so- they just need to bring it with the collar and zip.

sr80

WKR
Sorry guys- let me clarify what I have and what I have been using for years. I have always used the zip or zip hood 145 (not 125) as my go to summer early fall shirt.

I got the 120 hood shirt.

Just tried on my zip and zip hood purchased in the last 12 months. I also dry my shirts all in size XL. The new 120 does feel a touch thinner/lighter than the 145, but nothing mind blowing. I believe the 120 fit is just perfect new out of the box and is about 1/2-1” longer and looser in the chest area then my 145 i dry in dryer.

A big improvement, IMO, is the arm sleeves fits my arms much better in the 120 then the 145 despite drying them a few times. The last few shirts I got the 145 sleeves were really baggy and sucked compared to the 145 of old.

Forecast shows a chilly 98 on the opener - we will see how the new shirt does in comparison.

Curious what your weight and height are? Trying to decide on a large or xl. I’m 6’1 200

JNDEER

WKR
Curious what your weight and height are? Trying to decide on a large or xl. I’m 6’1 200
I am 6’ and 215. I have worn XL in all kuiu shirts from the beginning and mostly wear XL for all my daily shirts. I would say if you have kuiu wool shirts buy what fit before and if new to kuiu I would buy whatever size shirt you normally wear

Gila for me felt sticky like other poly shirts and it seemed to radiate heat against my skin more- like the shirt itself gets hotter then wool shirts and thus makes my skin feel hot too. Could be psychological- lol.

In HI even hunting Lanai in august I stayed with the 145- sure hope this 120 performs better. If so- they just need to bring it with the collar and zip.
That's funny with the exception of the fl aerowool I don't even bother with merino summertime in Hawaii and go with only synthetics for the high temps. Different strokes for different folks

jd1006

WKR
I hiked in the LT 120 T-shirt today in pretty humid weather with an 80lb pack, got the sweat going big. It dries much faster than my wick t shirt and 125 kuiu t shirt. Very impressive. It’s just as soft, a nice comfortable fit for a medium (i’m 5’11, 175lbs).

updated: biked for a few hours in it and wore it all day. Didn’t wear deodorant; no stink. Previously, I had issues with shirts with a lesser % of merino; definitely can’t do that with the wick shirts from FL. Also, it was very humid again and the shirt would dry within about 30 min of no activity. It’s a softer, plusher feel with a lot of mechanical stretch. I think that the sponginess of the fabric is what helps the air move through and dry it. I really like SG’s merino and it does not dry near as fast because it is a denser wool

Last edited:
What’s the big changes? They dropped the thickness 4%, (from 125 to 120 g/m2), they return to their original shape (my 125 SS is bad for this), stronger (my 125 LS had a hole in day 3) and 15% higher price. I see they have a hoody like the wick 150. Might order a 120 SS in Stone, nice plain colour and their emblem looks harder to see which is a plus.

I called them on another matter and asked the rep about the new 120 line. They basically said they had problems with the old Merino line shrinking (Thats wool, you wash it gentle and cold...) and the punch out sides had durability problems which was a bad idea in the first place. This new line is more about fixing problems than actual innovation. Hopefully the sizing is better because the 125 LS shirt had ridiculously long sleeves.

Edit: KUIU Is also dumping their old 125 line on their outlet so if your good with the old stuff there are some deals.

Kostrize

WKR
Can anyone report as to the softness/comfort of the new 120 LT line? I found the 125 and 145 kind of scratchy and uncomfortable compared to other brands

I know the blend of the nuyarn is different in the pieces, but I really like the feel of my pro-merino by kuiu.
If the feel is anything like that in the 120 line, I may have to pick one up.

Anyone have the two to compare the feel?

j33

WKR
I called them on another matter and asked the rep about the new 120 line. They basically said they had problems with the old Merino line shrinking (Thats wool, you wash it gentle and cold...) and the punch out sides had durability problems which was a bad idea in the first place. This new line is more about fixing problems than actual innovation. Hopefully the sizing is better because the 125 LS shirt had ridiculously long sleeves.

Edit: KUIU Is also dumping their old 125 line on their outlet so if your good with the old stuff there are some deals.
Thanks for checking that, yeah they market it as some huge innovations when it seems they are just fixing the issues. My 125 long sleeve has such loose arms, I guess with no spandex you don't get more of that first lite or black ovis fitted feel. Good for them on improving it though.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone report as to the softness/comfort of the new 120 LT line? I found the 125 and 145 kind of scratchy and uncomfortable compared to other brands
I ordered my shirt in a solid color and it's really soft. Very comfortable shirt.

Haven't worn the pants yet but they feel soft as well.

Last edited:

adiecidue

FNG
Definitely following this. Possibly looking for some new merino for my September elk trip.

That's funny with the exception of the fl aerowool I don't even bother with merino summertime in Hawaii and go with only synthetics for the high temps. Different strokes for different folks
Yeah same here. I have been testing out the SG chinook 170wt merino hoody and it’s awesome but in 90 degree weather i sweat and it creates this warm almost like a humid micro climate. I don’t get that with Sitka core Lt Wt hoody.

OMB

WKR
I was planning on using Pro 200 hoodies or the 125 Merino as my primary long sleeve base merino on an NWT sheep hunt in a couple of weeks, but of course had to order a 120 LT to try out in place of the 125. Should be as good of trip as any to test out, will report back in mid-August when I get back.

j33

WKR
Anyone compare this to their Gila hoody? Sounds like the Gila gets stinky pretty quick, quicker than the Sitka LWH and Peloton 97

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
Got my 120 LT yesterday, I'm 6' and 200lbs ordered a XL. Issued a return for it today, arms, chest and length are great but the hood is way loose / big. The cross over V neck sits below my collar bone, I thought it would sit more around my neck under my chin. Going to get another 145 zip hoodie, as far as I can tell the 120 and 145 are the same thickness.

Reactions: j33
Got my 120 LT yesterday, I'm 6' and 200lbs ordered a XL. Issued a return for it today, arms, chest and length are great but the hood is way loose / big. The cross over V neck sits below my collar bone, I thought it would sit more around my neck under my chin. Going to get another 145 zip hoodie, as far as I can tell the 120 and 145 are the same thickness.
appreciated the feedback. I was about to pull trigger on this but was hesitant for the hood as it looked loose and the lack of zipper was a non-starter.