Kuiu Yukon vs Kutana

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
After this last hunt I realized carrying two jackets are not feasible. I have the Sitka jetstream and the Sitka dew point jacket. I love both but I don’t feel comfortable wearing the dew point as a general replacement for a soft shell and it’s not meant to do that. I love the jetstream when I’m riding my mule and day trips from a vehicle when I know rain/snow is not in the forecast. I recently ordered the kuiu Yukon for my dad and the Kutana rain shell for myself. When my dads Yukon came in I fell in love with it. I really like the stretch of it, it seems quite for a rain shell that I almost think I can bow hunt with it. A day later my Kutana came in and as the jacket is very similar I still have the gut feeling I’d be more happy with the Yukon as a replacement for my jetstream and dewpoint. I just hate going through the exchange hassle. For the people who has experience with both, what are you all’s opinion, go with the Yukon or Kutana? I like the Kutanas cuffs, jacket does feel nice. I like the Yukon’s 4 way stretch fabric though not too crazy about the cuffs on it. I did notice the Kutana is made in China vs Yukon is Vietnam (probably makes no difference, just thought it was odd).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I have both. I bought my Yukon jacket and pants (Verde) when they first were produced...maybe 8 years ago?

I am a very active remote hunter and remote pack-raft float fly-fisherman up here, My Yukon's have A TON of miles on them, and I ABSOLUTELY love them. They are my go-to year after year, and they have never let me down in Alaska weather. They are showing wear with patches on them, yet still going strong!

I bought a Kutana jacket last year (non-camo). You have one so you know it is also a well made and heavy duty rain jacket. I wear my Kutana to work and around town up here. The fit is different for me between the two, which are both L's. I'm 5'10" 180lbs and the Kutana fits me fine, but it's longer in the torso and a bit tighter fit for me.

The Yukon is a fantastic rain-layer that fits comfortably over my insulation layers for late season Alaska moose and bear hunts.

You probably can tell that I am a big Yukon fan...so maybe you should get a second opinion!

Edit: I forgot to mention the L size for both of mine. KUIU and sizing/fit seems always a gamble for me between L and XL.

Last edited:

Leadworm

FNG
How would you compare the new Kuiu raingear to the Yukon gear? Been happy with Yukon.

Benjblt

WKR
I wanted to make the Yukon work but went with the Kutana almost purely based on the fit. . and I guess a couple of design features. The Yukon is so baggy in the arms it's annoying. . and I didn't like the cuffs as you mentioned. The Kutana was just sleeker. If you like the Yukon and durability is what you want .. and its comfortable to you, you should switch IMO.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
How would you compare the new Kuiu raingear to the Yukon gear? Been happy with Yukon.

I think they are very comparable. The only differences I see is the Yukon has a 4 way stretch material and the Kutana has a two way stretch. The cuffs on the Yukon are like a rubber material whereas the Kutana does not have a different material for the cuffs. Both are about the same as far as noise, slight edge to the Yukon. The Kutana doesn’t have all the features the Yukon does to shave some weight, like the hood draws and side sleeve pocket. The Kutana has a two-way zipper that’s designed to dump heat I’m assuming. The downside to that is the zipper is harder to zip up, you really have to jam it tight to zip it. The Yukon has a slightly different camo pattern. Outside of that I don’t see any major differences.

I actually like a little extra room in the arms for layering with a puffy.

I appreciate all of the opinions. Keep them coming.

Does the 4 way material on the Yukon soak up scents easier than the material on the Kutana. Some of this stretchy materials stink worse than others after a few days of use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
...the Yukon has a 4 way stretch material and the Kutana has a two way stretch. The cuffs on the Yukon are like a rubber material whereas the Kutana does not have a different material for the cuffs....I actually like a little extra room in the arms for layering with a puffy....Does the 4 way material on the Yukon soak up scents easier than the material on the Kutana. Some of this stretchy materials stink worse than others after a few days of use?

Personal preference here...I prefer the "rubber" cuffs of the Yukon. From a functional standpoint for me, I find that the rubber cuffs are a better match for our predominately wet climate up here, e.g., I think it seals out the rain better and also seems easier to pull over and fit when putting on gloves. I also find it a little easier to clean-up if I had to do any preliminary butchering while wearing my rain jacket, i.e., taking a moose at last light in the rain and choosing to gut it (not my preference ever) that night to cool down before building a tarp over-hang for butchering the next day in the rain. Actually, scratch that advantage...I'm pretty much up to my arm-pit when gutting a moose, but at least the cuffs do clean-up easier!

Nor sure about the comparative stink factor of the Yukon to Kutana. My stuff ALL pretty much stinks after two-weeks in the field sleeping in a tent. I'm convinced that my wife holds her breath when she hugs me upon pick-up at the airport!

both good, have both. like the yukon cuffs better, they keep water out much better. the kutana is a little louder, doesn't breath quite as well, but wears like iron... the kutana looks newer longer. i have 2 full seasons on the kutana now, and just started getting a little water intrusion on the upper knees, but that could be dirt stuck in the membrane from glassing on my knees in wet dirt.

the kutana is much trimmer fit, pros and cons to that...

my yukon lasted about 2.5yrs before it was showing a good amount of wear and noticeable wetness, so the kutana is right in line with that with less visible wear. the kutana is a little lighter too.

if i had to pick today on a new set, it would be tough to choose... very equal when considering the pros and cons of each. both are a great choice, both solid rain gear that holds up better than almost anything on the market, especially in terms of bang for your buck.... the slight edge may got to kutana at this point, but it's really close... the hip and pit zips kind of nullify the difference in breathability, and breathable raingear only breaths so well regardless.

i think i will throw in a curve ball before next fall and try the kryptek takur.... been curious about it, and only one way to really find out.... i just hate to abandon a proven product to try something new when it costs what it does, but i also like putting things through the paces so i can have the best gear i can for my needs, and form a real opinion.