Labradar question

CCamp88

FNG
Im getting into reloading and have a Labradar on the way. My plan is to set up a "gun room" in a climate controlled building on my property. I was going to install a window and a shooting bench inside and set up a target at 100yds for load development. My issue is after 50 yards im shooting through trees towards my target. Will I have any issues with function because of the trees? Attached is a picture of the trees in question. Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• image0[1099].jpeg
    image0[1099].jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
C

CCamp88

FNG
Really, Im just looking for muzzle velocities. I dont have my hands on it yet, but I seen where you can pick the distance, but I didnt know if shooting from inside to outside or all the trees would have any effect on it. I have zero experience with a chrono or doppler as it stands if that's not blatantly obvious. Just didnt want to shell out that kind of money on something that may not work for me.

Reactions: AKG

Axlrod

WKR
It will give you muzzle velo, but might not give you 100 yd. velo.
It usually gives you several velos out to 100 or so yards. You can set the intervals.
I have had a LR for a few years. My suggestions would be to get the trigger with the magnet from JLK precision. And an external battery pack. LR sells one, but you can get one locally or online. I also use a small tripod, and set the unit next to my scope, so the muzzle blast from brakes doesn't hit the LR. I also have a sight from MK machining, that makes aiming very easy. There are other sights out there too.

This is my setup before I had the magnet adapter for the trigger- had to use a rubber band.
20210108_102431.jpg

Mag_7s

WKR
Really, Im just looking for muzzle velocities. I dont have my hands on it yet, but I seen where you can pick the distance, but I didnt know if shooting from inside to outside or all the trees would have any effect on it. I have zero experience with a chrono or doppler as it stands if that's not blatantly obvious. Just didnt want to shell out that kind of money on something that may not work for me.
You shouldn't have any problems, especially with getting muzzle velocities. I have never shot through any trees, but I would guess you should be able to track the bullet until it reaches the debris, or >100 yards depending on projectile size.
They are an awesome device, and I really wish I had gotten one sooner.

rayporter

WKR
i shoot through a corner fence that is 30yds from the muzzle with no trouble.
there is braces on the corner that only leaves a 2 ft window for the bullet to get through.
the LR catches muzzle v easy and most 25 yd v.

Wrench

WKR
Iirc, you can set your tracking distance to whatever you want. Stop it at the end of sight if it gives poor returns.

OP
C

CCamp88

FNG
It will give you muzzle velo, but might not give you 100 yd. velo.
It usually gives you several velos out to 100 or so yards. You can set the intervals.
I have had a LR for a few years. My suggestions would be to get the trigger with the magnet from JLK precision. And an external battery pack. LR sells one, but you can get one locally or online. I also use a small tripod, and set the unit next to my scope, so the muzzle blast from brakes doesn't hit the LR. I also have a sight from MK machining, that makes aiming very easy. There are other sights out there too.

This is my setup before I had the magnet adapter for the trigger- had to use a rubber band.

I bought my LR through MK machining also because they threw in the sight and a 10% coupon helps also. All Ive picked up with it is a small tripod now, so Im going to check out the trigger system. Do you find yourself using it at all times even when youre the only one shooting? I appreciate the info from you and the others. I feel much better about my purchase now.

Axlrod

WKR
Yes I use the trigger every time. No missed shots that way. It will record an "error" if you run your bolt too vigorously, easy to reset if it happens though.

Deucebump

WKR
Can I ask where you ordered your Labradar from? Im currently looking for one and cant find one in stock anywhere. Thanks!

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve shot on 25 yard range with dirt backstop and haven’t had an issue getting MV

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
The trees won’t matter. Buy the JKL trigger for it and you will be good to go.