Lap Talley rings or not?

PrplGld

FNG
Well I did some very light lapping, below is my rear rings after a just a few minutes with the lap bar, the rear was the one that I could see a bit of light through and it definitely removed more from the rear than the front. After this I could no longer see any light under the bar or scope tube, and when I mounted up the scope with the turrets centered it was dang near perfect on my collimator with the POI of my previous scope on this rifle.

1dVRP3f.jpg

I have a set of Talley LWs on the way for my new Model 70. This pic should eliminate any discussion on whether to lap Talley rings.

Curious why someone wouldn't move to a set of rings that don't require lapping? I just put on my third set of DNZ mounts for my 7 mm and really like the concept and setup. My previous DNZ (T3X with a lightweight SWFA) is < 0.5 MOA all day with cheap factory ammo. I'm definitely not a connoisseur of rings so might be missing out on why the Talley's are a better option (or if folks don't like DNZ) - so asking the question. Dicking with rings is just not something I enjoy.

Is there any rings that dont need lapping? There is so many variables from gun to gun in the tolerances. I mean, i bolted rings and scopes on for years without lapping and had no issues aside of ring marks. Now that I am aware of what lapping does I couldnt sleep at night knowing my rings arent lapped!

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve found the need to lap the Talley lightweights on all my Remingtons and Winchester’s. I have not needed to lap them on my Borden’s. As alluded to above, it’s usually not the rings that are the problem. One no-lap solution is the Burris Pos-Align. Kinda clunky looking but work very well in my experience.

Is there any rings that dont need lapping? There is so many variables from gun to gun in the tolerances. I mean, i bolted rings and scopes on for years without lapping and had no issues aside of ring marks. Now that I am aware of what lapping does I couldnt sleep at night knowing my rings arent lapped!

I haven't lapped any of the DNZ rings (three of them, 6.5 CM, 30-06, and 7 mag) and feel confident with the setup. The 6.5 is < 0.5 MOA with factory loads, but I still need to get to the range with the other two now that I've got new rings on them.

PrplGld

FNG
Just finished a scope mount on my Model 70.
7C6204C5-8397-4D10-B431-53AE72257389.jpeg
7AD12AAC-0B85-40B2-8E91-48CAD6EDD8FE.jpeg
Look at the differences in the caps. I think lapping was definitely the right thing to do. Of course my warranty is now void...
9E7BD62C-08A0-4117-8313-66A947572BFC.jpeg
A4C83DB7-CF8F-47EF-8EA3-044F3A24C7BD.jpeg