Large spotter Tripod?

USMCret

FNG
Just wondering what make and model of a tripod are you using that will stabilize a large spotter (say 70 80mm) that isn’t way over weight?

marktole

WKR
I have used a Slik 634 for my 85mm spotter, and for the most part, it has been pretty darn good. It only weighs 2.1#. However, if there is much of a breeze, maybe 10mph or so, I get some shake/vibration in the image of the scope. I can usually mitigate it by trying to sit so I block the wind from the spotter. I would put some weight on the center column hook so that I could stabilize it that way, but I have the older style 634 that didn't have that center hook.

I did recently buy a new tripod to "upgrade" while using my spotter, but I don't have it yet. It is a Sirui R2204. With the mail in rebate Sirui is running right now I went ahead and bought it. The Slik 634 was a 22mm diameter leg with a 8# capacity weighing 2.1#, and the R2204 I just bought is a 28mm diameter leg with a 33# capacity weighing 2.9#.

I considered the weight gain worth it to have a little bigger tripod for stabilizing a big scope. Worth noting is that both of these tripods are tall enough for me to stand and glass with my binos at (62"+). If you don't care about standing and glassing there is a whole plethora of options out there for lightweight tripods that will stabilize a larger spotter in the 1.75-2.5# range.

Also, Semper Fi and welcome to the forum.

OP
U

USMCret

FNG
I have used a Slik 634 for my 85mm spotter, and for the most part, it has been pretty darn good. It only weighs 2.1#. However, if there is much of a breeze, maybe 10mph or so, I get some shake/vibration in the image of the scope. I can usually mitigate it by trying to sit so I block the wind from the spotter. I would put some weight on the center column hook so that I could stabilize it that way, but I have the older style 634 that didn't have that center hook.

I did recently buy a new tripod to "upgrade" while using my spotter, but I don't have it yet. It is a Sirui R2204. With the mail in rebate Sirui is running right now I went ahead and bought it. The Slik 634 was a 22mm diameter leg with a 8# capacity weighing 2.1#, and the R2204 I just bought is a 28mm diameter leg with a 33# capacity weighing 2.9#.

I considered the weight gain worth it to have a little bigger tripod for stabilizing a big scope. Worth noting is that both of these tripods are tall enough for me to stand and glass with my binos at (62"+). If you don't care about standing and glassing there is a whole plethora of options out there for lightweight tripods that will stabilize a larger spotter in the 1.75-2.5# range.

Also, Semper Fi and welcome to the forum.
Really appreciate the input and advice. Just wonder if you have any thoughts on the standing vs shorter tripods and why the standing? Do you have any suggestions for the short versions and if I may what head did you get with it? Thanks again

and Semper FI.
T

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
I personally like to have a tripod where I have the option to stand and glass with because I do a hunt or two every year where I like having that capability. If you are hunting mountains all the time and glassing drainages and big country from an elevated vantage point, you would probably be fine with a tripod that you sit and glass with. I can say that all the mountain hunting I've done I am sitting 99.9% of the time. I like to stand and glass when I'm hunting in like canyon country or maybe flatter terrain. Another reason I like a tripod that I can stand and glass with, even if I am not going to be using it to stand and glass with, is that they have a wider base stance and its easier and faster for me to set them up and have room to sit under.

I have a Sirui VA5 pan head, it is a pretty decent head for the weight and what it cost. Before that I had a Manfrotto 700 RC2 and same thing, decent head for what it weighed and cost. I do like the VA5 better though, has been plenty to handle binos and a spotter. Some folks don't like pan heads, and prefer ball heads. This is really a matter of personal preference, you will save a little weight by using a ball head. I prefer a pan head though because its so easy to control the movement with the handle. The VA5 cost like $150, that's on the relatively inexpensive side, heads can get really expensive the more you dig into them.

As far as suggestions for short versions, the one that everyone really seems to like on this forum that comes to mind first is the Slik 624, the 634's little brother. I think it weighs less than 2# and folds up very compactly. There are a lot of travel tripods that will fit the bill here.

I would kind of figure out how much you are willing to spend, whether you want carbon fiber or aluminum, twist locks vs flip locks, and how much weight you are willing to pack and that will really help narrow down and guide your choices from the many available ones.

Some brands to check out that have some good options for decent cost are Manfrotto, Sirui, Slik, Promaster, Field Optics Research, and Benro. Could also take a look at Outdoorsmans and some of the more expensive brands like Gitzo and Really Right Stuff if you don't mind dropping the coin for them.

An excellent website to utilize in your search is BandHPhoto.com, should be able to use the filters to narrow it down by price, extended height, weight, material, etc.

marktole

WKR
Also worth mentioning is that Camera Land, a sponsor to the forum, is running a sale on Sirui tripods for the month of May in conjunction with the Sirui mail in rebate. Could be a great time to snag a tripod and save a decent amount of money. There is a thread on the forum somewhere about it, but you have to call them to get the Rokslide discount. They could also probably be of assistance in your search for a tripod that's right for you.

ColeyG

WKR
I've been running a Velbon LUXi-L II for ten years or so and overall have been very, very happy with it. It is a super compact tripod that can be used standing or literally with your scope flat on the ground. I've used it with Swaro and Vortex spotters, both 85mm objectives, big scopes. For being a fairly compact, light (2.38lbs) it has been remarkable durable.

One of the down sides of any "light" tripod, as has been mentioned, is that they aren't going to be quite as stable as their heavier counterparts. Generally I am OK with this tradeoff as I can deal with a little motion blur much better than a few extra pounds on my back for 100+ miles on a sheep hunt.

I just picked up a Manfrotto Be Free Live carbon fiber tripod that I am pretty excited about. It is a lot more rigid and stable than the Velbon and basically the same weight. I like the ballhead on it quite a bit better as well and it is super solid. It isn't quite as compact or packable, but still much better than most when it comes to size and profile.

Two things I am adamant about when it comes to tripods for spotters and in hunting applications are twist lock legs, and no pan/tilt handles on the head. Lever locks are heavier, slower to deploy and retract (especially with gloves on) and prone to breaking in the field. Pan/tilt lever are also heavier, more cumbersom to pack, and also prone to getting broken.

If you have already ponied up for alpha glass, consider an “alpha tripod”. Really Right Stuff is ludicrously expensive, but seems the best. 4 lbs. 10 oz. to go to 68” height. Remove bottom to leg segments and you are at 41” height and 3 lbs 3 oz. Rated to hold 80# and you can shoot from it if you put an arca plate on bottom of your rifle.

124AE0C8-CEEF-4978-89A7-9D4FA531E1C4.jpeg

ColeyG

WKR
For the sake of comparison, the Manfrotto weighs in at 2.78lbs for 60" of height.

The Velbon goes 2.38lbs and will stand at 63" when fully extended.

Neither will hold 80 pounds, but both are solid enough to shoot off of. I built quick attach shooting rests using the Y top from a shooting stick and the quick release adapter/foot for the tripod making it super easy and fast to drop the scope, click in the shooting rest, and press the go button.

ColeyG

WKR
The new Peak Design tripod looks pretty slick as well, but the price tag is a little much I think. I like how slim and lo pro it is, but not a fan of the lever lock legs or head design.

60" and 2.8 lbs

tdot

WKR
Really Right Stuff 14 series tripod. Remove the lowest 2 leg sections and you're at less then 1.5 pounds. I've used this with a BTX/95 and extender with zero problems. Use their tiny BPC16 head when you want to save weight. It is more then adequate for my BTX/95, but no extender.