"pickup" Tripod

bullmtn

FNG
Hello,

I am looking for a tripod for my spotter that is only for road use, I bought a carbon fiber backpacking tripod for glassing in the back country, it's great for my binos on a hike but I don't love it for my spotter when glassing canyons or long-distance scouting with my pickup. My biggest things are I want it stable, easy to use and relatively cheap; weight is no problem as it will live in the pickup. I'm assuming a bird watching or camera tripod would be the best, I'm trying not to collect tripods. My Spotter is a vortex viper 20-60 x 85. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Bullmtn

dtrkyman

WKR
I found a fotopro dirt cheap on ebay a while back, light enough to pack and sturdy enough for the car. Seems pricing is anything from cheap to really expensive with them.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with Jeff or Joel as they're our tripod guys.

TaperPin

WKR
Hello,

I am looking for a tripod for my spotter that is only for road use, I bought a carbon fiber backpacking tripod for glassing in the back country, it's great for my binos on a hike but I don't love it for my spotter when glassing canyons or long-distance scouting with my pickup. My biggest things are I want it stable, easy to use and relatively cheap; weight is no problem as it will live in the pickup. I'm assuming a bird watching or camera tripod would be the best, I'm trying not to collect tripods. My Spotter is a vortex viper 20-60 x 85. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Bullmtn
The best professional heavy duty aluminum tripods were Gitzo - if you check eBay regularly and get an extra tall series 4 or series 5, they are as good as it gets for only a few hundred bucks. Very stable even in high winds - the only tripod I’ve ever had that is stable in the wind.

nobody

WKR
Slik Pro 700 aluminum legs:

Heavy as frick and yuge, but super stable and cost effective. I put a simple Vortex 2 way pan head on mine that I pulled off my backpacking tripod and it works amazingly well for a scouting/road glassing setup. I’m 5’ 11” and can standing glass behind it with my binos without issues. It has very wide set legs which further aids in stability.

OP
B

bullmtn

FNG
Thank you for your replies! I will report back when I make the purchase!

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
Yunteng VCT 999 on eBay cheapest most heavy duty really heavy aluminum tripod for around $40 delivered. I think Amazon sells them for around $140 with delivery fee.

These are probably just as heavy as my old aluminum Manfrottos.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
For my pickup tripod I use a slik pro shv head combo. Really stable.

OP
B

bullmtn

FNG
I use a window tripod but for some reason it doesn’t seem right unless I walk up or down the road. Maybe it’s me being neurotic but I always want a tripod out so I can move it around.

Marble

WKR
I have the Outdoorsman. It's rock solid. Kind of pricey but it makes glassing with the tripod awesome.

I've had a few lower end tripods and all had performance issues.

I have a Swaro 95 spotter I use on it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk