Last Minute Change to Idaho Unit 39 Elk

FireNelk

FNG
Due to some curve balls. Had to do a last minute change to unit 39 otc rifle elk tag. Have never hunted the unit before.
Have started to go over maps. Have a few places I’m looking at. If any one has experience there I’d like to run them by by them. Please pm to chat about it.

Looking for insight in Selway unit as compared to unit 39 terrain. Have hunted 39 the past few years and had reasonable success. Put on more miles via a motorcycle followed by hiking then I would have ever imagined to find elk. Always found plenty of elk as well as bulls but closing the deal is another story due to the steepness of terrain etc... I'm wanting to change up units and I'm very interested in the Selway area. Looks beautiful, steep & rugged. Anyone have any personal experience on both units and how they compare terrain wise to one another? 39 is not for the faith of heart when you are planning to get deep and see elk daily. I do not mind the hiking - I rather enjoy the misery at times. Just starting to do my homework. Many thanks

OP
FireNelk

FireNelk

FNG
Looking for insight in Selway unit as compared to unit 39 terrain. Have hunted 39 the past few years and had reasonable success. Put on more miles via a motorcycle followed by hiking then I would have ever imagined to find elk. Always found plenty of elk as well as bulls but closing the deal is another story due to the steepness of terrain etc... I'm wanting to change up units and I'm very interested in the Selway area. Looks beautiful, steep & rugged. Anyone have any personal experience on both units and how they compare terrain wise to one another? 39 is not for the faith of heart when you are planning to get deep and see elk daily. I do not mind the hiking - I rather enjoy the misery at times. Just starting to do my homework. Many thanks
Although I haven’t hunted the seaway. I’ve hunted all around Idaho from challis to hells canyon and many areas in between. It’s all steep and rugged. But some of the most beautiful country there is. I’ve heard the Selway has not been the same the past few years. But like most areas I think it’s determination that makes the difference. Sorry I can’t be more helpful