Late onset agriculture

I bought a ranch in 2017 and now raise South Poll cattle on it. Unless you inherit the dirt, there is no way that I can see to make ranching profitable. Between the purchase price of the land, equipment, fencing, etc etc there is no amount of beef, hunting, hay, etc that I can sell that would put me in the black.

Ranching is just a tax writeoff to offset income you make on your job in town.

gelton

WKR
My suggestion is to find a way to keep the 9-5 job while you get the new venture up and running.
This and here is why: 7 years ago (I was 40 at the time) I started working remotely in the software industry and went through a period of depression because I actually enjoyed going into an office and conversing with people (mostly water cooler talk and banter). I needed a physical outlet and started researching farming.

I learned about Curtis Stone and Jean-Martin Fortier and started watching and reading everything I could about farming. We purchased 7 acres in a rural area and are farming on about 1/3 of that where it was easy to irrigate off of the county water supply we have coming to the house.

I wasn't the brightest when acquiring the property as it had next to no infrastructure and a single water source. 7 years in and after investing $167K into buildings, tunnels, and machinery, I still haven't paid myself a dime. We sell everything we grow as we operate a CSA program (membership with weekly pickups) and sell wholesale to restaurants and the local school district.

I pay my wife, who is a teacher and a helper that we have had for 4 years $15/hr. My wife is an employee, and my helper is a contractor. My wife works about 10 hours a week and the helper works about 20 hours a week.

We have a perfect pasture that would enable us to triple the amount of land under production. To do that I need a deer fence ($25K), we would have to dig a well for a water source $25K, then I need to add onto a shop that I paid $40K to have built so that we can get GAAP certified (this is mandatory if you are selling over $100K of product a year) and do the processing there instead of having to hump everything from the wash area in the shop into the home to do all the processing. That's another $50-60K. We would like to have an actual heated greenhouse to pair with our two tunnels, which would be another $30K. So far I have bootstrapped everything except a $50K tractor and my truck that I financed.

So all in, for me to be able to quit my day job where I am lucky enough to make six figures a year, we are looking at an investment of about $300K in addition to the property that cost me $330K, before I can even draw a paycheck.

The only reason it pencils out is the tax break and the fact that I am building equity and I look at this as my retirement project. I had hoped to be able to quit the rat race within 5 years of starting up and with the way the economy and interest rates are now, I will be lucky to pull in off in 10 (3 more years).

You can check us out on insta or facebook - Pappy Jack Farms in Texas

1701817250372.png

1701817295514.png

1701817333750.png
1701817387652.png

Last edited:

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
My best advice is to diversify...find things that will sell/attract folks over different buying seasons. An area close to both a metro & wilderness attractions would allow you to cater to the biggest groups of consumers.

Certified weed-free hay is (was?) required for horse camping in national (& some state) parks. It is EXPENSIVE to buy, and can be a pita to maintain, but may be worth looking in to.
Heirloom grains & their products are an interesting niche. I grew Bloody Butcher & Oaxacan Green corn for my dissertation, & now run a brewing & fermentation program at my university. I would LOVE to produce bourbon from those two corn varieties, but our program isn't quite ready for that, lol.
People are becoming more & more aware of "food miles." If you can find a few products that are easy to grow, & can sell them at a lower price point that allows more people to consider them, that may be an option.
I wish you luck, keep us posted!

I left the farm at 16.

Came back right about 22.
It's a different life, I thought I wanted the rat race, turns out I didn't.

It gives you freedom, but also keeps you tied down a lot if that makes sense. I had my dad doing a lot more a few years ago, and a trip west in Sept (slow time) wasn't a big deal. Now, it gets hard to leave for 3 days.

Tho technically, I guess I'm mostly a ranch, however in the east it's all called farming.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Our family angus ranch started in 1908 we have about 2700 acres and we are down to about 100 head of registered black angus. I'm fifth gen to this. To make it work for me to return, I did twenty years active duty so my pension would basically be my pay.

For a full time cattle ranch I'll point out a few needs.

1. Own the land. If you have to lease it gets harder.
2. Own the water rights...you are DOA without rights to all the water for your place, and its only getting more cuththoat, regulated and impossible to get new rights or wells for ag.
3. A single family needs to raise 400 head of cattle to make a meger profit, if this is a full time gig. 400 head is the standard for folks to make it.
4. Vet care, a place to treat your livestock in house, transporting livestock ect...you need working corrals and a squeeze chute.
5. You have to grow...ALL YOUR OWN HAY, to make a profit....period...I don't care what anyone else says...if you have to depend on hay else where or have to have other people cut and bale your hay you will be losing money hand over fist.

It's hard to make a buck in Ag whether you inherit it or try to start out from scratch. Its got to be side hustle these days, and its only getting harder with new green regulations. Good Luck-WW

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
So I owned 200 acres in Northern California. We tried a few different ranching deals including cattle, goats, and chickens. The best way to make money on the cattle was leasing the hills for graze. We could sustain 35 cow/calf if they supplemented hay. Goats were a net loss. Chickens were net neutral pretty much.

I wanted to do trees (almond or pistachio). Water and enough money to get it established was the killer there. Otherwise in 5-8 years I would have been a millionaire. I did some dry land wheat and grass to feed my wives horses on top of the hay they ate. Without water you are screwed in California. The climate is too hit and miss. Not to mention the property tax and other costs of living I figured out what the best solution was.

I downsized and capitalized on a hot market. Bought the place in 2012 for $925,000. Sold it in 2021 for $1,850,000 to a weed farmer. Bye bye California!

If we were staying here I would have a weed based ranchconomy for sure. Grow weed, feed cows weed, hemp milk etc just really lean into that cash cow. (Kidding)

We are in the same boat bought 2 houses in 2010/2011 respectively that we kept when we married and use as rentals. Our current home we bought in 2015. All have interest rates under 3%.
So wherever we end up these will just be rentals until it’s time to sell them. I’m close to an Airforce base and rent to Airmen, I give a slight discount for long term rent and typically can rent to the family that replaces my previous renters. So likely won’t throw away this golden egg anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
We did the certified weed free thing for a year thinking we’d do well during elk season, it didn’t add up to as much as we thought it would. We found most outfitters or people packing in with animals buy just enough to hide the cheaper non certified hay with:p

If you grow and put up quality hay consistently peoples‘ animals will let them know[especially horses). That seems to be what holds prices at a level you can make a little bit and earns repeat customers.

Aside from critters and the niche veggie things you’re looking at, making hay in small square bales(fondly referred to as “idiot cubes” by some)is a great way to get started if you have a lot of small acreages around you locally that you can do in your spare time and still have a fall available for hunting. Assuming you’re into that haha

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I raise cattle, have fruit trees/grapes, grow a big enough garden to sell produce. Never made a red cent, I don't think ;)

Food security must be nice though
Bet your grocery bill is small

I'm working toward the goal of making a living farming. I bought the land (160 acres in the Ozarks) 2 years ago, finished building a house on it this year, and plan to start running cattle next year. I plan to keep my job as an engineer while getting my farming enterprises going and have a goal to be fully supported by farm income by age 40 (I'm currently 34). I've been reading Joel Salatin's "You Can Farm" and "Your Successful Farm Business" for advice and inspiration.

I'm pursuing the regenerative/holistic/permaculture (some would call it hippie/earth muffin) route for philosophical reasons and because the low-input economic model appeals to me. I intend to use grassfed beef (initially sold into the commodity market then eventually finished on-farm and sold direct to consumer) as my centerpiece operation. Adding hair sheep might be step two. Maybe add laying hens and/or broilers someday. About half my acreage is wooded, so firewood and custom-milled lumber are possible side businesses.

In addition to Joel Salatin, I would recommend Gabe Brown, Jim Gerrish, Greg Judy, Allan Nation, and Kit Pharo as resources on how to make a living in agriculture.

Last edited:
OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I like the lumber side hustle
I’m a terrible wood worker but I can cut and split

gelton

WKR
I'm working toward the goal of making a living farming. I bought the land (160 acres in the Ozarks) 2 years ago, finished building a house on it this year, and plan to start running cattle next year. I plan to keep my job as an engineer while getting my farming enterprises going and have a goal to be fully supported by farm income by age 40 (I'm currently 34). I've been reading Joel Salatin's "You Can Farm" and "Your Successful Farm Business" for advice and inspiration.

I'm pursuing the regenerative/holistic/permaculture (some would call it hippie/earth muffin) route for philosophical reasons and because the low-input economic model appeals to me. I intend to use grassfed beef (initially sold into the commodity market then eventually finished on-farm and sold direct to consumer) as my centerpiece operation. Adding hair sheep might be step two. Maybe add laying hens and/or broilers someday. About half my acreage is wooded, so firewood and custom-milled lumber are possible side businesses.

In addition to Joel Salatin, I would recommend Gabe Brown, Jim Gerrish, Greg Judy, Allan Nation, and Kit Pharo as resources on how to make a living in agriculture.
Joel Salatin is the GOAT. Greg Judy is great too. Salatin says Alan Nation was his mentor. Dont forget Gabe Brown. My side hustle would be contract tractor work, would probably run some sheep and pigs too, but just to break even to have mine for free.

jmez

WKR
For some perspective, the farmer I hunted on last weekend farms about 15,000 acres. Runs about 1200 head momma cows. Backgrounds all his calves through winter and runs them on grass all summer. Retains ownership at the feed yard.

The farmer I'm hunting on this weekend farms somewhere between 30,000-40,000 acres.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Wingnutty

FNG
I work with small growers a lot. 90% of new to farming folks wash out after 3 years. All of them have big dreams and a high level of confidence going in. Many of them have the same motivations as yourself. Making $ is tough, period..it isn’t very profitable. Lots of competition and about everyone throws out “regenerative”, “sustainable”, “soil health” as buzz words, but very few stick around long enough to actually employ them in a meaningful way.

I know most of the experts mentioned here personally, all great folks who’ve built their own operations and enterprises from the ground up. But the #1 thing they all have in common is that they are marketing geniuses. They are really good at selling their success and most probably make more in speaking fees and book sales now than on farming or ranching.

Not trying to discourage you it’s just that I’ve seen enough to become a skeptic that most people have the ability or opportunity to actually be successful in small scale ag. Lots of overconfidence and lack of situational awareness in this area.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
It’s tough. I watched a family member try twice in two different places to start up a dairy farm. They actually owned all the animals.
Both times they failed. Between operating expenses and all the cost I don’t know of they fizzled out.
I’m sure it’s possible, but the person I know is the hardest worker ever and it didn’t work. Now they just work for someone else again.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my 1st piece of farmland when I was 38 but continued to work off farm for another 20 years if you really like to work farming may be for you. You are truly your own boss in agriculture with the possibile exception of your banker

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
We do a few of the items on your list. It is profitable, but probably pays us below minimum wage. If you're interested in unconventional products or methods, you should try to figure out dollar potential per acre and try to get a grip on the amount of effort each option requires. This will be BS for the most part because you don't have a way to really know costs, but it helps to start thinking about it.

For example, we grow lavender. One neighbor grows blueberries, and there's a vineyard/winery across the highway. I think the blueberry guy sees the best return on his time and acreage. I've talked with him about it, and he chose blueberries specifically because they're expensive at the store and the harvest season precedes the crazy fall rush for apples and pumpkins so he didn't have to compete directly with that. All in all he felt they provide the best dollars/acre. We chose lavender because it's really hardy and processing/sale doesn't have to happen immediately after harvest. I still work full time, and we have three kids, so flexibility is important. We quit selling at the farmers market and having people come out to do harvest days. We're missing out on a decent amount of revenue, but it was a lot of extra effort and it wasn't worth it to us.

We also raise meat chickens and egg layers. We sell enough to pay for their feed, but not enough to make any money. We're looking into raising a few sheep and/or pigs starting in the next couple years.

We're doing this on 20ish acres, so you don't need a ton of land to do it on a homestead scale. If you were looking to replace your income, I'd say skip it. We really enjoy it and will continue to do it even for minimal pay.