Late Season Idaho Panhandle Archery (December)

SWOHTR

WKR
Has anyone here ever hunted the December 10-16 archery only, bull only season in the Idaho panhandle? This is my third year here and I haven't gone out then, mostly because of school. My questions specifically, if someone has hunted this:

-How was access? What did you use for access?
-How far in the backcountry did you find elk?
-What was recovery like, if you were successful?
-What was the best method to have a chance at getting close - treestand, blind, or are you able to be sneaky enough with snowshoes?

The first two questions are my two biggest concerns. I have snowshoes and an ATV without tracks; no snowmobile, either. The hunt seems like it's definitely not for the faint of heart, and odds of success seem incredibly low. Part of me doesn't know why IDFG offers it? But, I am curious, and wondering if anyone has done it (and been successful).

Thanks,

Joe

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
I️ don’t think you’ll want to go too far in the backcountry. With the snow we’ve gotten, they’ve mostly pushed down to winter range. I️ think this tag is mostly oriented towards depredation on private land, though it isn’t designated as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
That's what I was thinking. The haven't been up to 6 yet (I am in Moscow) but can imagine the snow up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk