Layering for cold weather

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Currently I wear Sitka heavy merino half zip and bottoms, with cabelas Long sleeve and bottom heavy baselayer on top of that. I'm thinking about buying the new sitka 330 merino top and bottom I'm just wondering if I will see much of a difference between my current setup and replacing the cabelas baselayers. Also my second question is; if I have both would you wear the heavier one next to skin or on top of the thinner one? Thanks.

Last edited:
Merino is not a good base insulating layer for maximum warmth. Go with a heavy synthetic that traps a lot of air and that would be the best bet to increase warmth. A 330 weight merino is going to be thick and heavy.

DoctorJJ

FNG
I love merino as a base layer. I’ve used both. Moisture management is much more critical with a synthetic, I don’t care what the ratings are regarding wicking ability or ability to maintain insulation properties when wet, nothing performs for me like merino. I always go thin layer against skin. The 330 is thick and fairly heavy. I only would use it when terribly cold. A better system for me is a thin layer of merino as a base, then a light jacket and then a down puffer or Primaloft gold puffy with soft or hard shell, if needed, on the exterior depending on precip. The puffy can be packed in and put on when in the stand or taken off and packed away easily if you don’t need it.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Vr1p

FNG
I wear 330 hoodie over a 120 long sleeve. I like this especially when hunting for a multiple days as I can just swap out the base layer if it starts to smell and continue wearing the hoodie. I have an ambient vest and fanatic jacket over the hoodie, kept me warm for all day sits in low teens.