Lead ammo bill for "Youth" - Washington state

I don't know if this will make it out of committee, but House Bill 1346 (HB 1346) would make it illegal for anyone under 21 to use, buy, or possess lead ammo in Washington state.

I'm not going to argue about the dangers of lead - it is real. But, proper hygiene practices seem to mitigate most of the issues with lead ammo for say a target shooter. (The bill's stated intent is to safeguard youth, not wildlife.)

If this were to pass I guess the days of .22LR for youth will be numbered. Of course, there is a lot of ammo that would also be off the table. If feel for those adults caught in that grey area between 18 and 21. Old enough to vote but not old enough (in the eyes of the state) to make their own decisions.

Sled

WKR
well at least cci is making all copper rounds in 22lr now. pretty decent price too. i assumed they would be much more expensive than lead 22lr.

to the bills intent, i'm interested in whose kids are rubbing these exposed lead projectiles all over their bodies. i'm teaching mine to handle the brass end and wash hands after shooting. have i been doing it wrong all these years?

ODB

WKR
Listen to Mark Marons podcast with Obama a few years back ( no, this isn’t a bash Obama comment, so lay off). In it he used the metaphor of policy change as like turning a big ocean-going ship...you can’t do it on a dime. BUT if you can turn it 1 degree and keep it going in that direction, OVER TIME you’ll get where you want to be.

It’s pretty damn simple...it IS the slippery slope. Like was said, you make it a pain in the ass for kids of impressionable age to be able to enjoy shooting, you will help diminish the pool. Meddlers....

jmden

WKR
Listen to Mark Marons podcast with Obama a few years back ( no, this isn’t a bash Obama comment, so lay off). In it he used the metaphor of policy change as like turning a big ocean-going ship...you can’t do it on a dime. BUT if you can turn it 1 degree and keep it going in that direction, OVER TIME you’ll get where you want to be.

It’s pretty damn simple...it IS the slippery slope. Like was said, you make it a pain in the ass for kids of impressionable age to be able to enjoy shooting, you will help diminish the pool. Meddlers....
Exactly...

Okhotnik

WKR
Yep. Fundamental transformation of American culture

I’ve been a firearms instructor for over 20 years. Most of lead contamination comes from
Lead styphanate located in the primers in ammunition. That is what frequent shooters should be concerned about. Just wash your hands after shooting.

Preying on the ignorant public.

If lead was such a danger should ban electric vehicles like the Prius They contain 100’s of pounds of lead batteries and others toxic metals.

with target shooting I think it is totally agreeable to just utilize hygiene and some precautions and don't spend time in indoor shooting ranges that are not well ventilated

where BIG GAME HUNTING enters the "lead" discussion I think we have a lot to talk about - when Berger bullets and their specific type of construction for a specific type of terminal damage became all the rage it's been a pretty clear line drawn on the topic (fragmenting vs. bonded core vs. monolithic) We have seen arguments and debates all over the spectrum over LEAD CONTAMINATION with some very interesting STUDIES conducted on the topic
To simply say "it's the anti's attacking our rights in small incremented ways" MIGHT be true, probably IS, but at the very least, for "me and mine" there'll be no more fragmenting projectiles used for hunting game, period - I love Accubonds so this is a proverbial "tough pill to swallow" but it's not that big of a deal to take detailed care in meat clean-up and frankly, I've had well above 90% excellent results in searching up good to GREAT accuracy with Barnes and Nosler Etips since my realization that I've most likely ingested more lead than will ever know about

Snyd

WKR
Just go with it. This is for your own good and the good of the children. Don't you know it takes a village to raise a child!? You parents are too stupid to know that you should not allow your children to eat the lead bullets in the 22 ammo. Or to lick the powder residue off their hands after they are done shooting. Or that they shouldn't vaporize lead and breath the fumes. WA kids are known for pulling the 22 bullets and heating lead to it's boiling point (3180 degrees) and sniffing the vapors.

Just go with it. This is for your own good and the good of the children. Don't you know it takes a village to raise a child!? You parents are too stupid to know that you should not allow your children to eat the lead bullets in the 22 ammo. Or to lick the powder residue off their hands after they are done shooting. Or that they shouldn't vaporize lead and breath the fumes. WA kids are known for pulling the 22 bullets and heating lead to it's boiling point (3180 degrees) and sniffing the vapors.
Oregon is not far behind …..