left behind...

I won’t judge to harshly. I recently did some hiking with guy who spent the 2 weeks leading up to the outing telling me damn near daily how badass he was and how no one can hang with him once he gets on the trail.
Short version is, the wheels fell off about 1.5 hour in, complained about his knee and ankle for the next hour till I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I left him behind and continued at my pace.
I did wait for him at the trailhead, he showed up eventually.

Yarak

WKR
Regardless if this man told others to go on without him you do not leave an injured man behind
Apparently he could not get out of the situation on his own and needed help
Very sorry and selfish individuals that would leave him like that to keep going on their little trip

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
At minimum they should have left the phone with him.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
At minimum they should have left the phone with him.
Or, had more than one phone. You never know what might happen when there are several people out together. I am forever reading stories about hikers/hunters getting separated and one or more get lost. If you are going to be out for extended periods of time, phones are cheap insurance. Hindsight is a great thing. :)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Reports now coming to light are, the injured hiker, separated shoulder, said his friends did everything right. He is disappointed the media has vilified them.

Last edited:
Having been involved in a couple of news-worthy events I can tell you that reading the media reports left me confused as to what event they were reporting on. They literally make up details in their reporting. Anyone who really gets worked up over such reports should know that they rarely have even the most basic facts correct.

Secondly, having read his account of having a dislocated shoulder, I'm still baffled as to why he couldn't hike out. He sounds like a candy ass honestly. I can say I've self-rescued from worse. My teenage daughter has.