Left eye dominant, right handed?

Tried to get the kid shooting this weekend and he is cripplingly right handed and hopelessly left eye dominant. I attempted to get him behind the sights left handed and it looked like we were making a soup sandwich. Sounds like we need to work on left hand dexterity and keep trying with his left eye.

Tried to get the kid shooting this weekend and he is cripplingly right handed and hopelessly left eye dominant. I attempted to get him behind the sights left handed and it looked like we were making a soup sandwich. Sounds like we need to work on left hand dexterity and keep trying with his left eye.

How does he naturally shoot a pool cue? Typically you’ll shoot it either with the dominant eye or the dominant hand. If the right hand is driving the cue then just work on getting a clear view via right eye when left is closed. If squinting is the problem that’s an easy fix through practice

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds about right.

Keep working on that sammich. It'll come together

Hnthrdr

WKR
For those looking at getting LASIK eye surgery, I heard you can have them make your right eye stronger than your left and change dominance. Haven't actually confirmed it with my eye doc, but I will sure be asking him.
Did that to me, I was RH/ Left eye dominant, had the surgery and it changed my dominant eye. But 11 years later and I’m in glasses due to an astigmatism, but still have my RE dominance

gbflyer

WKR
My lasik sx 20 years ago just ended up that way. Went from left eye dominant to right. After 15 years, it swapped back. Probably due to cataract in right eye that's not yet bad enough for surgery. For 3 decades, I shot whichever handed was better for the position of game. After blowing my left shoulder out 3x, I shoot right handed unless absolutely necessary. For example, sitting in a climber and will spook game if I try to get turned enough to shoot right handed.

That’s a rare gift. I’ve been a hard-lefty all my life, I find that the older I get the right side is actually more useful than it used to be. Or I’m more patient now.

How does he naturally shoot a pool cue? Typically you’ll shoot it either with the dominant eye or the dominant hand. If the right hand is driving the cue then just work on getting a clear view via right eye when left is closed. If squinting is the problem that’s an easy fix through practice
right handed with a pool cue. I think I'll try painting the left lens of his shooting glasses and give it another go.

FastXD

FNG
I am right handed left eye dominant. I pretty much have shot guns left handed my whole life and actually feel more comfortable shooting a bolt gun in a right hand version vs the left hand. I shot bows most of my life right handed and when in my late 30's I decided that I would make the switch to a left hand bow so I sold my right hand bow and bought a left hand bow once I got the strength to shoot the left hand bow my accuracy improved drastically.

In getting my 6 year old started with BB guns and bows, I found out that he is left eye dominate and right handed. He bats, golf’s, and throws right handed. He skates goofy footed and plays hokey left handed. I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed. After I had him switch to left handed for bow and BB gun, he seams to do alright at it and aiming for both looks more natural. Should I look into “retraining” his eye or just get him a chopped left handed 223 Tikka?
Thanks,
Ryan
My dad and I both were in the same boat. When he joined the marine corp they would wrap duck tape over one eye and made him figure it out. He did the same to me. I figure you could probably black out one side of some shooting glasses and your 6 years old should get the hand of shooting proper.