Leica 2800.com with Leica app

Anyone using a 2800.com with the app? Just got one and playing around with the app. I have a kestrel, but not the 5700 that pairs with it.
Seems like it works well with the app. I loaded a custom ballistic profile and comparing it to AB and shooter apps they’re all in agreement.
I assume the rangefinder uses the built in temp and barometric pressure from the rangefinder to give you the correction? Any other hints or tips for those that use the rangefinder with the Leica app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't know that model. But generally, don't let the LRF sit in the sun or get warm inside your jacket. Temp sensors on the device will mess up solution.

Learn where the laser is zeroed in the reticle.

Set the wind to zero if it had aerodynamic jump. Make your own wind call.

That's how I handle my devices for hunting.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
John,

You are correct, it pulls angle, temp and pressure from the internal sensors in the 2800. Then it uses it's onboard solver and that information to provide a solution. When you use it in external mode with it connected to a Kestrel, it basically sends the compass heading, angle and distance to the Kestrel and allows it to use AB Elite to come up with a solution and then it returns that solution to the RF where it is displayed. When using a Kestrel, you are not limited in how far it will return a solution, whereas the onboard is limited to 1k if you are using a custom curve.

The app is mainly for easier configuration, creating your curves, uploading the active one, etc....what are you using the app for in conjunction with the RF other than these tasks?

OP
F
John,

You are correct, it pulls angle, temp and pressure from the internal sensors in the 2800. Then it uses it's onboard solver and that information to provide a solution. When you use it in external mode with it connected to a Kestrel, it basically sends the compass heading, angle and distance to the Kestrel and allows it to use AB Elite to come up with a solution and then it returns that solution to the RF where it is displayed. When using a Kestrel, you are not limited in how far it will return a solution, whereas the onboard is limited to 1k if you are using a custom curve.

The app is mainly for easier configuration, creating your curves, uploading the active one, etc....what are you using the app for in conjunction with the RF other than these tasks?

Normally I use Shooter or AB to get my corrected Mil elevation values, but I was hoping using the 2800 and the Leica app would be able to provide a solution for quick set up needs while hunting. Seems like my drop using the app matches up to my solutions in Shooter and AB, so it might work as planned for a quick confirmation while hunting. Eventually I’ll likely upgrade my current kestrel to a 5700 as that is supposedly a better way to use the 2800.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
That' s how I use mine when hunting, the re-connect process on the 2800 can take too long if I need it in a hurry at times. So I use it with bluetooth turned off and just rely on it's internal solver for the closer shots where time is at a premium. I have trued mine to AB to within about .1 MOA (with coriolis, aero jump etc. turned off), so it's good enough for me, especially at those distances.

But then, when I want to shoot longer and have time, I can connect to the Kestrel and let it do it's thing.

OP
F
That' s how I use mine when hunting, the re-connect process on the 2800 can take too long if I need it in a hurry at times. So I use it with bluetooth turned off and just rely on it's internal solver for the closer shots where time is at a premium. I have trued mine to AB to within about .1 MOA (with coriolis, aero jump etc. turned off), so it's good enough for me, especially at those distances.

But then, when I want to shoot longer and have time, I can connect to the Kestrel and let it do it's thing.

I haven’t played around with it much, but just to confirm, once you load the “custom” bullet profile I created and load it into the rangefinder, it will give you the elevation correction even without being linked to the app? It does seem a little cumbersome that the Bluetooth connection drops after a little time, but if the values are still displayed then it still works for my needs out to 500-600.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t played around with it much, but just to confirm, once you load the “custom” bullet profile I created and load it into the rangefinder, it will give you the elevation correction even without being linked to the app? It does seem a little cumbersome that the Bluetooth connection drops after a little time, but if the values are still displayed then it still works for my needs out to 500-600.

That is correct. If you load up your custom curve into the RF, and plan to use it without a kestrel, turn bluetooth off. You do not need to be connected to the app and it uses battery faster with BT on. The solver is onboard and will use that curve and the environmentals supplied by the RF to give you a solution out to 1000 yards. No need for the app for that job.

OP
F
That is correct. If you load up your custom curve into the RF, and plan to use it without a kestrel, turn bluetooth off. You do not need to be connected to the app and it uses battery faster with BT on. The solver is onboard and will use that curve and the environmentals supplied by the RF to give you a solution out to 1000 yards. No need for the app for that job.

Perfect. Than that will work for my needs as a quick verification of my dope under hunting situations up to 500 or so yards. Beyond that I’ll refer to my solutions in AB or Shooter and take the time to enter the other variables for longer shots. Thanks!

For folks without kestrels, can the Leica app take a generic wind speed (say 10mph at 3oclock or 90degree angle to shot) and then kick out windage holds similar to the sig kilo in BDX app? If so, is this also functional without bluetooth connectivity being on in the field? Thanks

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
No, you will only get wind holds if you are connected to a Kestrel and it is doing it's thing. Leica's ballistics software does not provide wind holds.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I got a 3500.com for Christmas and tonight sat down and tried to link it via blue tooth and am having issues.
It is a issue with the app, not the rangefinder, it keeps saying it can't connect to my device without GPS permission. I went in my settings, made sure everything was on under location. Uninstalled the app, re-installed it, made sure it was given the green light on everything, and I still get the message.
I took a screenshot of it, I guess I will email Leica and see what is up. Not the way I was hoping to start out.
I have had a Leica 1000-R for years and love it, but wanted this for ballistics, but it is something to do with the phone/app and I don't know how to fix it.

Glassn24

FNG
Does anyone know if the 2800 connection with the app will display on an Apple Watch like the 3500?