Leica geovid R vs Sig 6k HD LRF

Geovid R is a good unit. The glass is better than the Fury/Sig/Revic form factor rf binos and the laser is good for all hunting distances. It is a stand-alone rf so you still need to run a dope chart or know that inputting distance into your kestrel/solver will slow your workflow down.

I have not seen a single Sig bino/rf optic that I would subject my eyes to for longer than 10 seconds. While their lasers are great and their firing solutions generate quickly, the glass is simply unusable for any real-world hunter imo. The visual handicap that the sig binos create in all but perfect conditions precludes me from considering them until they up their glass game.

OP
lpplayer59

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
Geovid R is a good unit. The glass is better than the Fury/Sig/Revic form factor rf binos and the laser is good for all hunting distances. It is a stand-alone rf so you still need to run a dope chart or know that inputting distance into your kestrel/solver will slow your workflow down.

I have not seen a single Sig bino/rf optic that I would subject my eyes to for longer than 10 seconds. While their lasers are great and their firing solutions generate quickly, the glass is simply unusable for any real-world hunter imo. The visual handicap that the sig binos create in all but perfect conditions precludes me from considering them until they up their glass game.
So I made the day trip down to Cabelas to see the newer Sig in person and I have to agree. I compared the Sigs to the Leicas/Burris/Vortex/Cabelas brand/etc.. and the Leicas were the only ones to me that looked like a high quality bino that had rangefinding capabilities. Now, I just have to look for the best deal on the Leica’s.

So I made the day trip down to Cabelas to see the newer Sig in person and I have to agree. I compared the Sigs to the Leicas/Burris/Vortex/Cabelas brand/etc.. and the Leicas were the only ones to me that looked like a high quality bino that had rangefinding capabilities. Now, I just have to look for the best deal on the Leica’s.

After receiving two defective pieces of junk in the same shipment (including 2022 Geovid R’s) I’m going to have to completely disagree about Leicas being “high quality”. Nothing about the products I received are high quality when two defective products make it through their QC checks that they so proudly sign off on.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 43

Lawnboi

WKR
After receiving two defective pieces of junk in the same shipment (including 2022 Geovid R’s) I’m going to have to completely disagree about Leicas being “high quality”. Nothing about the products I received are high quality when two defective products make it through their QC checks that they so proudly sign off on.
I don’t know what bino that is but it’s not a current geovid r

Lawnboi

WKR
The one with the crack/chip in the internal lens and debris inside the objective absolutely was a 2022 Geovid R 10x42. I think I'd know.

I get the frustration. Iv got a swaro spotter with something on an internal lens too.

Seems like most don’t talk about optics needing service but I’d guess the number is pretty higher.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I like my 6K compacts (8x32). 25oz ish, great fov. Good resolution. I don’t see a blue tint like some see on the full size and others.

And I don’t think there is a better laser and ballistic package. Definitely nothing close for the cost.

Maybe I got lucky with the only decent pair though.

My use is archery and limited range rifle (I don’t plan to use them for searching for game a mile+ away). I’ll pull out the 12xELs and handheld RF for those hunts.

Optics need service from use and that’s understandable. Brand new out of the box units that passed their QC checks with fractured magnesium hinges, chipped lenses, and debris inside should not have to go in for service before you even use them. Their QC is garbage and they obviously don’t give a shit what they send to their customers. That was a $1400 pair of Geovids and a $2200 pair of UVHD+.

To the OP, my thoughts on the new Leica Geovid R 8x42s can be found on this thread:
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/monarch-hg-vs-geovid-r-rethinking-near-alpha-binos.317904/

I've found them to be an excellent value with a very high build quality. I have not put them through the rigors of a hunt yet. I have not used any Sig RF-bino. I do use an older Sig Kilo 2000 handheld rangefinder for archery and it has a distracting blue tint.

There is also a good discussion on the newer RF-binos here:
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/revic-blr10b-rangefinding-binoculars.309968/

Understandably so, redneckbmxer24 has stated his frustration with Leica in these threads. Hopefully his sample if not indicative of a systemic issue at Leica's Portugal facility. Hopefully it was a Friday afternoon sample and the QC guy had a hot date. I got my new model Geovid R for less than 1/3 of the price of the latest alpha RF-binos, so it's not quite apples-to-apples when comparing those.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Optics need service from use and that’s understandable. Brand new out of the box units that passed their QC checks with fractured magnesium hinges, chipped lenses, and debris inside should not have to go in for service before you even use them. Their QC is garbage and they obviously don’t give a shit what they send to their customers. That was a $1400 pair of Geovids and a $2200 pair of UVHD+.

Swarovski’s have the same issues. So do Zeiss. I see and use 10-12 new Swaros a year- about 5-10% have debris inside the lenses when new. Right at 50% have an issue that requires service within 6 months of use- note: 6 months of use- not they sat in the house for 6 months.

What’s laughable is that you believe the Swaro EL range is “better” in reliability or ranging than the Geovid R’s. You got a defective pair, but there are lots of Swaros with issues.

@lpplayer59 optics, and electro optics especially can have things go wrong with them as @redneckbmxer24 has shown. I have had to send $4000 optics back to the manufacturer for service and also have received units that didn’t feel right/look right out of the box. It happens.

OP, what is your use case for this rf bino?

OP
lpplayer59

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
@lpplayer59 optics, and electro optics especially can have things go wrong with them as @redneckbmxer24 has shown. I have had to send $4000 optics back to the manufacturer for service and also have received units that didn’t feel right/look right out of the box. It happens.

OP, what is your use case for this rf bino?
95% midwestern white tail archery / but one annual elk and/or mule deer 7-10 day hunt rotating between CO,WY,AZ and NV (archery)

The EL TA’s are the way to go for LRF binos. Or just pick up some new EL’s for $2k and then get a $500 LRF. There’s a laser guide on here for $550 currently.

For your uses, I think a nice set of 8 or 10x binos and any one of the handheld lrfs would be great. I like the Leica handheld lrfs but most of them should be perfectly fine for midwestern whitetail distances and archery.

My archery setup is an 8x32 NL pure and a Leica 2400. I have not felt like I was lacking with this ever.

The combo bino-lrf are heavier than necessary for this purpose and they are not as easy to just drop on a retention cord and draw your bow. I find the handheld lrfs much easier to use for archery distances while holding a bow.

jaric

FNG
I don’t have any range-finding binocs to compare to, but I just bought geovids in 15x56 and have been extremely happy with them. I thought the glass quality was very similar to the conquest I compared them to. The SLC was slightly better optically, but ultimately the difference was minor and I was also looking for a longer rangefinder.

It appears there’s some dissenting opinions but I’ve been very happy with my geovids.

OP
lpplayer59

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
For your uses, I think a nice set of 8 or 10x binos and any one of the handheld lrfs would be great. I like the Leica handheld lrfs but most of them should be perfectly fine for midwestern whitetail distances and archery.

My archery setup is an 8x32 NL pure and a Leica 2400. I have not felt like I was lacking with this ever.

The combo bino-lrf are heavier than necessary for this purpose and they are not as easy to just drop on a retention cord and draw your bow. I find the handheld lrfs much easier to use for archery distances while holding a bow.
I tried out the fury’s and really appreciated the improvement on target acquisition with the binos in lower light conditions vs handhelds (I have an older range master Leica also). I’m just not overly impressed with vortex glass but was extremely disappointed with the SIG after going to Cabelas to compare them all.