Leopold Scopes CDS

I have a couple. One on a Bergara 300WM and one on a Browning 6.5PRC. Both are VX5 3-15 . Advantages are if you put the time into them, they work. Disadvantage is once you send in for them, you're married to that load. Unless you order another cap.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you marry it to one load? I just use the regular dial turrets that came with mine. What does the CDS do special?

Why would you marry it to one load? I just use the regular dial turrets that came with mine. What does the CDS do special?
Once you get the load dialed in, Leupold etches a new set of caps specific to that load. Using the CDS only requires a range finder. No math or dope charts involved.

I actually have cds on all my rifles. I know, I know, it's not the best thing to do with changes in elevation etc. But I will tell you, it is quick and if you aren't shooting critters past 600 I will take quick over perfect every time.

Range: 395 yards. Spin dial to 4, point and shoot. It really is idiot proof (this is good news for me) now that they have locks on them.

Verify a few of the longer distances after the turret is cut and go kill stuff.

I actually have cds on all my rifles. I know, I know, it's not the best thing to do with changes in elevation etc. But I will tell you, it is quick and if you aren't shooting critters past 600 I will take quick over perfect every time.

Range: 395 yards. Spin dial to 4, point and shoot. It really is idiot proof (this is good news for me) now that they have locks on them.

Verify a few of the longer distances after the turret is cut and go kill stuff.
That's my experience as well. up to 500 yards is pretty damn accurate. Past that, I'll just hoof it to get closer.

tam9492

WKR
Just got my rifle build back, and took the average of the first 5 shots - 2941. Box speed was listed at 2950. The barrel may speed up a little as it’s broken in, so I’ll average again. Was surprised how close the box was, though. Nosler Trophy Grade.

Tugman

FNG
I work at a rifle range. I have seen a ton of these. And everyone I have seen with one is happy. A range is not the field, but still.....

My favorite memory of one is a young guy who never owned a gun of any kind. His father in law invited him deer hunting in a straight wall state. Bought a new inexpensive 350 legend. He wanted to make a good impression. It took literally an hour, start to finish for him to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 and 4 inch groups at 200 all centered at the point of aim. He was absolutely thrilled. Factory ammo. Inexpensive rifle. OEM turrets.

K3po

FNG
Once you get the load dialed in, Leupold etches a new set of caps specific to that load. Using the CDS only requires a range finder. No math or dope charts involved.
So just a follow up for clarification...... so I zeroed my gun in at 200 yds and loosened the set screws so I could reset dial to 2 and set the screws again. Now if I range an animal at 300 yds I just rotate the dial to 3. Is this the correct procedure?

So just a follow up for clarification...... so I zeroed my gun in at 200 yds and loosened the set screws so I could reset dial to 2 and set the screws again. Now if I range an animal at 300 yds I just rotate the dial to 3. Is this the correct procedure?
Yes. Validate everything before going hunting.

73 Wood

FNG
I don't own one, but I'm interested in the simplicity of the CDS turrets. (Perhaps not as simple as a hold-over reticle) What data does Leupold need in order to customize the turrets?

I don't own one, but I'm interested in the simplicity of the CDS turrets. (Perhaps not as simple as a hold-over reticle) What data does Leupold need in order to customize the turrets?
Need to validate your ballistics; what’s on a box rarely is reality.

73 Wood

FNG
Thanks for the link. That's pretty slick - I haven't bought a new scope in a while. I was planning to buy a new 6.5 PRC for next hunting season and I'm going to seriously look at these scopes.

leupold has never been known for 'fine technology'.... yardage etched turrets over trash erectors is hardly cutting edge. But for someone that don't shoot much, you can 'get by' with one.... for a little while.