Lessons Learned: Complete Arrow Failure on Elk

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my 2021 elk story warts and all. Hoping someone can learn from this. The good. I harvested my first archery bull. The bad, I hit another bull and the arrow setup failed for a second time on the second bull.

First my setup:
Bow: Hoyt carbon defiant 70lbs
Arrow: 330 spine easton hexx with 50 grain brass inserts and 125 grain QAD exodus broadheads. Around 16% FOC and 425 grain total arrow weight.
Sight: Black Gold with three pin

I will start off by saying this setup shot lights out. As my friends all bought valkyrie arrows I just couldn't drop these because of how well they shot. For one I shot better with both broadheads and without. I also got super lucky and completely nailed it with the first sight tape I tried. Last summer I was dropping 100-yard bombs with broadheads reliably. I haven't traditionally been a great archery shooter but the last couple of years have really come together, because of this I was reluctant to change. Additionally, I had killed a deer at 55 yards with this setup except at 60 pounds (broken wrist that season) and penetration was plenty adequate.

This season after several days of hunting we finally struck up an eager bull. I snuck in within 20 yards and while the lower third or so of his body was covered and he was aware of my presence it was a pretty ideal broadside shot situation. He fell twice after the shot and sauntered off. He was a big mature 5 point in a general season unit. We wait 3.5 hours. Initially, blood was pretty good. Bright red with bubbles and not buckets but tracking was a slow walking pace. Even a mile into the track he was still consistently dripping blood. At about a mile and a half, he kicks it straight up a steep mountain. It's brushy and dry in the area he does this and tracking slows to a crawl. Maybe an hour every 30 yards. Multiple times the trail is completely lost only to be found after crawling through the brush for over a half-hour. He is clearly starting to clot up now but only after losing gallons of blood. He also is still dripping but it's much much tougher to find. I shot him at 8 am and now it's getting close to dark. I send my companion back to take care of the mules. TIme is ticking but I get really lucky and find blood 200 yards from my last blood spot in the rocks. The rocks make for easy tracking to a rib of pine trees. I decide to back out as its getting dark and restart in the morning.

I replay the shot countless times. I grew up elk hunting with a rifle. I keep thinking that drawing on a bull staring right at me I must have quickly settled the pin on the front shoulder area. I hit him far forward for a bow shot. I wake up at 4:30 hike the 6 miles up from camp and glass the clearings surrounding the trees I know he at least went through. Nothing. I was hoping to see him maybe try to get out and feed or find his herd. I head up to comb the rocky slide where he would have headed to hopefully find blood where it's easy before going into the much more difficult pine duff I last found blood in. While walking around with my head in the dirt I hear a short locate bugle. I hear a bull going through the brush coming out of the timber the bull I had hit went into. I get into position and catch the bull with his head and front shoulder covered at 20 yards. Though he is mostly covered he still bust me when I draw. He is ready to bolt any second. This may be controversial but I figure I will be more upset to watch the bull run off with my arrow from yesterday in him than to shoot another bull when my chances at recovering the other bull are slim at best. I draw and let loose. This time holding plenty far back into the lungs. I am expecting a full pass-through.

When the bull emerges on the opposite side of a small drainage I see an arrow sticking well out of his side. YES! I think. its the same bull! He stops twice before going back into the timber he emerged from. I wait a couple hours and find him taking his last breaths just inside the treeline. Less than a 100 yards. I instantly see though that he is smaller. Both 5 points similar frames but smaller tine length. Upon getting to him I pull the arrow out and find it broken at 6 inches from the broadhead. Must have went through and broke when he went down I thought. However, after flipping him I find an exit out the top of his flank. He was broadside and that's a gap well exceeding my 27.5 inch arrows. It occurs to me that the arrow likely snapped on the rib with the broadhead portion ricocheting through the other side. While the fletching side of the break just barely penetrates. Maybe it was another shot? However, after fully breaking the animal down its clear that exit is from me.

Here is what I can best figure. I was slightly underspined and at those close ranges I had some flexion putting my arrows at risk of breaking on impact or at a minimum not penetrating to their potential. My setup wasn't the ideal but I would say it was also better than average but I got significantly worse performance than average. I attribute that to arrow spine. Regardless, I know for certain that had I been shooting a superior arrow setup I would have harvested that larger 5 point bull. With two holes in his hide he would have expired. The shot wasn't ideal, I surely hit bone. However, I wouldn't consider that placement bad and I don't want to shoot an arrow setup that demands perfection. I rarely find it in field conditions. I watched my hunting partner ass shoot a bull broadside at 60 yards. A god-awful shot. Only to have the arrow penetrate through both femurs and severe the femoral artery... The bull died within 20 yards. He was shooting boutique expensive valkyrie arrow systems. I am not saying that you can totally mess up and get away with it nor should it mean you don't have to make good shots by buying expensive stuff. However, what I can say is my shot a few inches forward on that first bull would have made my first archery bull all high fives instead of a complicated mess.

What ultimately happened is our cool temperatures gave way to high heat right after the second bull went down. He was 6 miles from camp and camp is 10 miles from the trailhead. The trailhead is another hour or more drive to the nearest ice. We focused on getting that bull off the mountain by the end of the next day. I never did get a chance to continue my search for the first bull. Tracking had slowed to a crawl and I had found the track already a dozen or so times more than some might. Still is hard though. I can tell you one thing for certain. My pockets will be lighter and my quiver heavier next year.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Vk5LFCxfTdRERCLx98nFL4_tec2-Gnraw39c3h7EeRTBKbVzVGrpyfO-c952P_3iVaFRZPea

pk_

WKR
I assume most of the west isn’t awake yet…1632914939520.gif
Buckle up, here they come.

Arrows don’t break on impact and then part of it continue to penetrate diagonally thru an elks body to create an exit…

Not even going to get into the rest of it.

Congrats on the bull.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I should have been more clear on a couple things. I had tracked the elk for over two miles and did not find blood after the trees. Last blood was becoming only dark smears under branches at ankle level found every 20 or so yards crawling under sage brush in a circle. My hunting party was astounded I was able to keep tracking after 1.5 miles in. Sign became very scant and his route unpredictable, the bull was tracked for more than a solid day. Second, yes I shot the bull however the vicinity in this type of terrain had me thinking this was very probably the same bull.

I also realize this is not a technically incorrect arrow setup. However, the second shot result is unacceptable even if it all works on paper and there are setups that would perform much better on the first shot. I wouldn’t have been hunting if my setup didn’t meet that criteria on paper.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I assume most of the west isn’t awake yet…View attachment 330976
Buckle up, here they come.

Arrows don’t break on impact and then part of it continue to penetrate diagonally thru an elks body to create an exit…

Not even going to get into the rest of it.

Congrats on the bull.
That’s not something I was expecting either and wouldn’t think was possible. Do you have other things you have observed that explain the exit and trajectory? I want an arrow setup that gives full pass through for a shot like that.

I do get that people who weren’t there will get on a high horse about this.

However, I also bet those same people are the first to comfort another hunter with “happens to us all at some point” on a story about how a hunter hits a bull and loses it after losing the trail. I’m willing to bet this trail would have been lost by damn near 90 percent of hunters the second this bull peeled off the trail going straight uphill.

I get that there are guys who punch a tag if they think they wounded a bull. That was originally the plan. On the second shot the bull was going to take off and the likely area hit the first time was obscured. It was watch it run off only to see the arrow in it and never see it again or take the shot. I had already tracked the other bull for an entire day and that morning, it wasn’t looking positive at all. After a discussion my hunting partner considers his tag punched and we end the season. He was there. He saw the ups and downs and after watching me crawl up and down a steep slope for hours on end knows I wanted to and put in work to find that bull.

Last edited:
I should have been more clear on a couple things. I had tracked the elk for over two miles and did not find blood after the trees. Last blood was becoming only dark smears under branches at ankle level found every 20 or so yards crawling under sage brush in a circle. My hunting party was astounded I was able to keep tracking after 1.5 miles in. Sign became very scant and his route unpredictable, the bull was tracked for more than a solid day. Second, yes I shot the bull however the vicinity in this type of terrain had me thinking this was very probably the same bull.

I also realize this is not a technically incorrect arrow setup. However, the second shot result is unacceptable even if it all works on paper and there are setups that would perform much better on the first shot. I wouldn’t have been hunting if my setup didn’t meet that criteria on paper.

Your setup isn't working when you are shooting thru brush.

Just doesn't work with arrows.

big44a4

WKR
I wouldn’t blame it on being under spined. Like you said could be forward shot placement but you’ll never know. Hitting a bone the right way could do any arrow in. However hexx arrows have a thinner wall than others for what that is worth.

Reactions: Zac

pk_

WKR
That’s not something I was expecting either and wouldn’t think was possible. Do you have other things you have observed that explain the exit and trajectory?

I do get that people who weren’t there will get on a high horse about this.

However I also bet those same people are the first to comfort another hunter with “happens to us all at some point” on a story about how a hunter hits a bull and loses it after losing the trail. I’m willing to bet this trail would have been lost by damn near 80 percent of hunters the second this bull peeled off the trail going straight uphill.
Yes I do.

But first, I am not at all trying to be on a high horse. That’s why I am not going to talk about the rest of what happened. It’s a personal choice you made in the heat of the moment and enough people are going to vilify you for that, I won’t be one of them.

You are right, crap happens to everyone especially bow hunting, especially on the ground ‘spot and stalk’ style.

From what I can gather, on the second shot, either the elk was not at the angle you thought or (more likely) your arrow deflected off a rib or(even more likely) you hit some brush and the arrow was not straight at entry. Either way it traveled at angle thru the elk and partially exits. The tip broke either from his leg flexing those muscles while running or (more likely) catching brush while he ran. The rest of the shaft then began to migrate back out the entrance.

But you are right, I was not there. So it’s just an opinion from many bow kill autopsies I have partaken in.

But I cannot think of a scenario where an arrow breaks on impact and part of it keeps enough momentum to do what you are speculating. The other thing, I may have missed it in the story but it didn’t sound like you knew exactly where the first bull was hit or recovered the arrow. So I think blaming the arrows is kind of a hard sell…

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your setup isn't working when you are shooting thru brush.

Just doesn't work with arrows.
The shot wasn’t through brush if that helps. The legs and lower vitals were obscured by grass but there was almost all of the lungs open on the first shot. Second shot only parts obscured were some of the antlers and the front leg. Lungs were wide open.

Your arrows are fine.....Arrows don't always pass through, sometimes they break, sometimes the blood trail sucks on a good shot. Animals move, arrows flex, people freak out when they finally get a shot, can't change that. Two holes in the hide of the animal doesn't mean they are going to die or die faster for that matter.

You couldn't see the entire animal when you took your shots, so you don't have the complete picture! You just think you know what happened. You also didn't make a good shot on the first bull, which is pretty obvious based on how far he traveled (been there personally - it sucks). Your buddy got lucky on a horrible shot, it wasn't his arrow set up that got him the bull.

Have you killed more than two animals with a bow? Practice is great, but I learn more every time I shoot an animal.

I like heavier arrows especially at 70lbs. Boutique broadheads get the job done. Last thing I would want is all the time, prep and money into a hunt to to spending it walking miles looking for an animal that didn't die right away.

Theres a reason why my buddy and I make jokes about archery season being wound loss season.

I have zero experience with Easton Hexx arrows but I do know they have a bad reputation for being fragile.

You have to be confident in your set up. I think your set up is fine but if you want to get a more sturdy arrow then I wouldn't blame you.

I have had 244 diameter arrows break right after the insert upon hitting animals. Those same arrows in the same set up have broken leg bones. Shit happens sometimes and these situations are too dynamic to know exactly what happened or what a different set up would have accomplished.

Zac

WKR
Thanks for sharing. I had a similar post about an antelope a year ago. I don't know if your setup is to blame or not. However I totally understand you losing faith in it. I think most people would be changing things based upon the experience you had. Mostly this is just human nature. Also there is alot to be said about your friend getting away with that awful shot. That is arrow forgiveness at it's finest. Here's where I'm going to get roasted by referencing the RF plan B arrow system.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your arrows are fine.....Arrows don't always pass through, sometimes they break, sometimes the blood trail sucks on a good shot. Animals move, arrows flex, people freak out when they finally get a shot, can't change that. Two holes in the hide of the animal doesn't mean they are going to die or die faster for that matter.

You couldn't see the entire animal when you took your shots, so you don't have the complete picture! You just think you know what happened. You also didn't make a good shot on the first bull, which is pretty obvious based on how far he traveled (been there personally - it sucks). Your buddy got lucky on a horrible shot, it wasn't his arrow set up that got him the bull.

Have you killed more than two animals with a bow? Practice is great, but I learn more every time I shoot an animal.
Yeah, I’ve killed 5 bucks and a cow elk with a bow. I’ve hunted since I was old enough and have taken probably close to 30 big game animals. In that time I have lost 3 of them. Including this bull. We are used to hitting bone and having deflection or it stopping the arrow. Setups exist that make this far less likely. I guess my biggest point is Ashby would consider this an arrow failure and he’s not necessarily wrong.