Let's Hear It...

You planned, you carefully packed, you entered the field with complete confidence in your abilities, gear and food for a multiday trip then learned a big lesson the hard way.
homer-simpson-doh.gif

Please share.

a3dhunter

WKR
Spend half the year hiking and getting your legs ready for the mountains, feeling like you can hike wherever you want to.
Then misplacing one step leads to a seriously torn ankle, and you are flat on you back hoping nothing is broken. Alone with thirty minutes of daylight left, and now I have to figure out how to get back to the trailhead. Thankful for the option of the SPOT messenger if needed, but was able to make it back by myself, using my rifle as a crutch in places.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Geez...I'd be so pissed. Go to Vegas and party...don't F up a good hunting spot! I party AFTER the hunt.

Slim Jim

WKR
I had a 20 yrd shot on a big beautiful 6x6 NV bull from a knee. He came up over the top of the ridge screaming in my face. I was at full draw before he could see me draw and as he kept walking toward me I waited till my 20, 30 and then 40 yrd pin cleared the horizon (worrying my fletches might clip) . I released a perfect frontal shot and my arrow deflected off of a rock 6 yards in front of me by an inch. WTF I yelled plenty of curse words throughout the backcountry. I soon found out that I should of made sure my 50 pin cleared the horizon. I went back to camp, pulled out my target and shot some arrows at 5 yards with my 50 pin. Sure as shit, dead bullseye! All of the practice I do between 20-100 and a shitty 6 yard clip f-ed it all up. Oh well it was fun as hell.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I had a 20 yrd shot on a big beautiful 6x6 NV bull from a knee. He came up over the top of the ridge screaming in my face. I was at full draw before he could see me draw and as he kept walking toward me I waited till my 20, 30 and then 40 yrd pin cleared the horizon (worrying my fletches might clip) . I released a perfect frontal shot and my arrow deflected off of a rock 6 yards in front of me by an inch. WTF I yelled plenty of curse words throughout the backcountry. I soon found out that I should of made sure my 50 pin cleared the horizon. I went back to camp, pulled out my target and shot some arrows at 5 yards with my 50 pin. Sure as shit, dead bullseye! All of the practice I do between 20-100 and a shitty 6 yard clip f-ed it all up. Oh well it was fun as hell.

Thanks! This is a lesson I'd rather learn online than in the field. Oh man!

Whisky

WKR

I shot a ground blind support rod once like that when I should have been shooting the antelope at 18 yds. Yup, lessons learned!!