Let's help some guys/gals get their first archery elk!

Moose8

FNG
I definitely qualify. I'd welcome any feedback.

I successfully killed a Bull in an OIL Draw in the Wichita Mountains in 2017. But the success rates there are ridiculous, and it took very little true hunting experience to accomplish. So we can toss that out.

I've coached Little League Football for 12 years, so hunting Elk out west, was on the backburner. 2022 we got eliminated from the playoffs early of my last season, and I decided Spur of the moment I wanted to go Elk hunting. Had no idea what I was doing. Bought an OTC tag. I was ill-prepared. Had limited knowledge of the hunt area. I saw elk and tons of Muleys. It was a start. And that mattered more than anything.

Year 1: 2022 CO - 2nd Rifle for Elk (Bull tag). I hunted 4 1/2 days. Only had 2-3 weeks of planning. Had no idea what I was look at E-scouting. Just can't fathom what the side of a mountain looks like with just topo lines until you see the side of the mountain. Learned a crap ton every day.
1st full day hunting, i found fresh sign on a seep in a meadow, set up on it that evening and saw a lone cow feed out in front of me. Saw elk again on Day 4, a herd of 20 or so Elk, working across the opposite ridge. I was set up and ready, but never had a Bull step out.

Year 2: 2023 CO - Archery. I hunted 6 1/2 days. 1st 3 days Solo, Days 4-5 with a non-hunting partner. Planned for this one for 6 months. Tons of OnX and Google Earth E-scouting. But still very difficult to compare what I'm seeing on OnX to real world based on limited time in the Wilderness.

Day 1: Hunting top of a mountain near treeline. Heard a Bugle first thing in the morning, saw glimpse of a bull. Lots of fresh sign throughout the day.
Day 2: Same area. Early morning Bugle same bull. I bugled back. Couple exchanges, they I heard him bolt. I'm 100% confident, I botched the Elk talk test.
Day 3: Down the mountain, different area. Stumbled in to a meadow that had fresh sign/bedding. I set up, and had 3 Cows come through. Took a long shot at a Cow, misjudged distance, clean miss.
Day 4: Work down a mountain from middle to drainage below with the "main road" in it. Saw a Nice Bull with small herd of cows. They saw us first, and bolted. We tracked for a 1/2 mile. Long gone. Found a well used saddle/travel corridor.
Day 5: Got in early and setup on the travel corridor. Saw nothing, heard nothing. Weather got bad. Spent time in the truck with my buddy who knows the area. That Evening we went to another area with a big valley at the top of a mountain. Scouting around found fresh sign. Saw heard of elk moving inside a treeline across the valley.
Day 6: Hunted the big mountain valley. Setup and had a bull come in, but bail about 100 yards out. Found a nice Muley dead head and Elk Wallow. Got in a calling contest with another hunter. Tracked fresh elk tracks all the way down a hillside.
Day 7: Last Day Morning Hunt. I went back up the mountain from Day 1. Worked in to a Bench in the thick stuff on Northside. Again in fresh sign. Had an elk chuckle at me after I bugled. But nothing else.

I'm on here year round. Elk Hunt, Elk Talk, Cutting the Distance Podcasts have replaced my Football Podcasts. Worked through Elk201 course. etc. I've already spent dozens of hours on Onx planning for Sept. I'm even taking my teenage boys to CO next weekend to camp/scout/hike for 3 days just so I can get back out there and see what else I can learn. I "should" have a 0PP Archery tag in South CO this year, and I drew a Big Game Combo for Montana. Will make a 10 day trip to CO in Early-Mid Sept. And a 7 day trip to Montana in November.

Self-Assessment......I've primarily based out of a friends cabin with 45-90 minute ATV rides from there to my hunting locations. I get in right at daybreak, which is too late. I've mostly hunted very thick stuff. Which with my limited to poor calling ability isn't ideal. Spent too much time chasing "Tracks". I'm impatient on "setups" bcuz I don't trust my calling ability, and I can't see shit in thick stuff. I typically do 5-6 miles in a day, so not afraid to cover ground.

Changes: More hunting time. CO trip will be solo. MT trip I'll have my old son with me. Truck/Base Camping this year in an area I can glass from camp, or can hike to an effective glassing location. (It's more basecamp, but can be broke down in less than an hour, to move and relocate if necessary.) Be on location 30 minutes before sunup. Work to find elk before dedicating a day(s) to a thick mountainside hoping to find some. Call much less. Focus on Cow/Calf calls. Focus on Finding Elk.

I'll take whatever critiques, ideas, encouragement you got. This thread or DM. I'm a guy trying to learn anything and everything I can. Best learning is in my boots on the ground. But anything I can do between trips to the mountains to get better, I'm here for.
100%

Aside from being mentally & physically prepared...my #1 tip is usually around finding areas humans don't go and looking there first for fresh elk sign. My early years I spent days 3-5 miles from the truck.

I've now taken 4 bulls with my bow in 3 different units at the following distances from my truck:
.3 miles
.2 miles
.75 miles
1.2 miles

Elk are where you find them!
From a guy just getting into elk hunting and looking at which public land to try first, this is incredibly helpful. Along with all the other info. in this thread. Thanks everyone

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
How long are u hunting before u kill? One of ur earlier posts u said 5-6 days did u kill those bulls in a week? I usually try for at least a week but my results show I need a little more time
Each year I've had 5 or 6 full days to hunt - I highly recommend more but I just haven't been able to with travel time & 4 kids and family acitivities.

Harvest on:
Bull 1: Day 3
Bull 2: Day 4
Bull 3: Day 5.5 last day (.5 day was quick evening hunt on arrival day)
Bull 4: Day 5.5 last day (.5 day was quick evening hunt on arrival day)

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
From a guy just getting into elk hunting and looking at which public land to try first, this is incredibly helpful. Along with all the other info. in this thread. Thanks everyone

If I had to pick my top 3 tips to focus on for new archery elk hunters:

#1: Cover lots of ground at decent pace looking for very fresh sign, then slow down...focus on areas with little to no human activity (not just avoiding hunters - but all recreation). It helps to avoid trailheads and parking spots - I typically like to park roadside at random spots to access small pockets to check out. Crossing a big stream and/or heading uphill also gets rid of pressure quickly.

#2: Check the Wind, Check the Wind, Check the Wind! Far better to puff the wind checker every 5 minutes than not at all. You'll never fool an elk's nose. If you believe in scent lock clothing or scent away sprays - you are a fool.

#3 Stay Positive - Be Mentally Prepared! The large majority of archery elk hunters are done days before they even go home...so many times after 1 hard day in the mountains, they are already hanging their head, missing home, can't stop checking facebook, whatever. Find a way to stay positive everyday, enjoy every second of the hunt (you've planned this for months), and keep doing the little things all the way up until the last day. It only takes one elk and could happen at any moment - be mentally ready!

If you are going after first elk no need to plan a hunt miles deep. Just do truck camping. More mobile and you can find elk within a mile or two of the road
This 100%. Unless you KNOW the area you are packing into currently has animals using it, a new hunter has a much better chance of success by staying mobile. I wasted a lot of time learning this lesson.

I'm not an elk expert by a long shot but every time I hear somebody hiking in 10 miles to a new spot, my first thought is how many elk they are passing by to get there.

tdoublev

FNG
Great tip! I give this same tip often...There's so much to learn first unless you have years of backpacking/backcountry experience you are better off keeping it simple at first. Keep covering ground close to roads until you find elk sign.
I’m still enjoying my tag soup leftovers. Last year the unit we hunted was completely silent. We were running into fresh sign, but it was clear the elk weren’t being vocal. It was an easy to get, non-res tag so that isn’t surprisingly. We ended up still hunting for the second half of the trip and did bump 3 solo elk, 2 of them we saw their butts as they bolted, the 3rd I had a shot at 50 but couldn’t count the tips to determine legality in the thick timber. He walked away never to be found again. In hindsight, I think that area just didn’t have many elk and the ones there were super spooked. To do it over again, I would have relocated I think. But starting over in an area as a NR with nothing but escouting deterred me. I thought learning one area well was the best idea, but it was a poor area to start.

My question - for NR ‘entry’ tags where I expect calling to be ineffective and elk to be silent, are most successful guys locating elk by looking for sign on the ground or treating it more like a rifle tag and glassing? There are no elk where there are no elk, but if you walk through the woods to find sign then you risk blowing them out of there. So that leaves glassing as your only option, right? Specifically for a new area. I unfortunately won’t be going back to the same unit this year

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How long are u hunting before u kill? One of ur earlier posts u said 5-6 days did u kill those bulls in a week? I usually try for at least a week but my results show I need a little more time
For me, I love spending time in the mountains during September (best month of the year for that). I know most guys just can't swing it, but I plan on at least 20 days every year. But I do generally pass on several bulls to get to that timeline. Time spent out there is a compounding knowledge endeavor. The more time you spend, the more you learn, and that has tremendous carry-over value to future years. It's worth it to even take just one season to do that if you can, and commit to passing as long as possible, even if you have to eat your tag. Great investment.

Some years ago I passed on every bull I encountered and hunted for 22 days that season. My intention that year was 350" or nothing. I ate my tag, but that was by far the best season I've ever experienced, and the most fun I've ever had. I think I counted 30 6x6 bulls with close encounters that year. Yes, a draw unit that I know very well. I wouldn't trade that season for a 320 bull on opening day. Anymore, it's more about the whole experience than the kill for me.

I’m still enjoying my tag soup leftovers. Last year the unit we hunted was completely silent. We were running into fresh sign, but it was clear the elk weren’t being vocal. It was an easy to get, non-res tag so that isn’t surprisingly. We ended up still hunting for the second half of the trip and did bump 3 solo elk, 2 of them we saw their butts as they bolted, the 3rd I had a shot at 50 but couldn’t count the tips to determine legality in the thick timber. He walked away never to be found again. In hindsight, I think that area just didn’t have many elk and the ones there were super spooked. To do it over again, I would have relocated I think. But starting over in an area as a NR with nothing but escouting deterred me. I thought learning one area well was the best idea, but it was a poor area to start.

My question - for NR ‘entry’ tags where I expect calling to be ineffective and elk to be silent, are most successful guys locating elk by looking for sign on the ground or treating it more like a rifle tag and glassing? There are no elk where there are no elk, but if you walk through the woods to find sign then you risk blowing them out of there. So that leaves glassing as your only option, right? Specifically for a new area. I unfortunately won’t be going back to the same unit this year
If you can glass it’s always the best first option. If you can’t glass and they aren’t calling you have to pick the best spots you can based on food, water, safety and go look for sign. Don’t run through the area. You can slip through timber without blowing elk out. Just have to move slow, watch wind and be patient. When the timber is thick I have found elk often don't blow out entirely if you do bump one. Going back to sit water, wallows or trails can work.

This is also a time to lose sleep and go call/listen at night for elk to help narrow still hunt options.

JK47

FNG
If you can glass it’s always the best first option. If you can’t glass and they aren’t calling you have to pick the best spots you can based on food, water, safety and go look for sign. Don’t run through the area. You can slip through timber without blowing elk out. Just have to move slow, watch wind and be patient. When the timber is thick I have found elk often don't blow out entirely if you do bump one. Going back to sit water, wallows or trails can work.

This is also a time to lose sleep and go call/listen at night for elk to help narrow still hunt options.
Solid game plan.

We couldn’t glass where we hunted. And this is basically what we did. Moved nice and slow through thick dark timber. Kinda had to, it was a lot of blowdown jackstrawed all over the place. It was fascinating watching elk glide right over all the blowdown like it wasn’t even there.

I was the call guy, and hung about 30 yards behind my buddy. When he would move, I stopped to look/listen. When he stopped, I would ease up and he would watch. I spotted 2 elk that he didn’t see doing this. Had to throw sticks at him to get his attention and point them out.

And like you said, we never spooked them to another hillside. They were there every day.

tdoublev

FNG

I mean that certainly makes sense. Always felt like it was a Catch 22 - some guys say go slow and listen, other guys say you gotta cover ground. I suppose the context of the terrain involved is key there. If it’s timber I don’t see a way around going slow. If you’re in the south with more open terrain, then I see the benefit of covering a lot of ground to check for sign. Never put two and two together until just now

I mean that certainly makes sense. Always felt like it was a Catch 22 - some guys say go slow and listen, other guys say you gotta cover ground. I suppose the context of the terrain involved is key there. If it’s timber I don’t see a way around going slow. If you’re in the south with more open terrain, then I see the benefit of covering a lot of ground to check for sign. Never put two and two together until just now
This isn’t the only option. There is a time to move fast too. I would move fast if in an area where elk are more mobile. Where I hunt elk are reliably spread out but generally in same area. I would move fast until I find elk or fresh sign then slow down.

I have hunted 3 states, 30 days in 3 years. I have gone DIY, fully guided and semi guided. Zero shot opportunities on any bull. I have found and seen bulls every hunt, some absolute giants. I have well over a 100 archery kills just cannot get it done on a bull elk. Hats off to you guys getting it done consistently.

Moose8

FNG
If I had to pick my top 3 tips to focus on for new archery elk hunters:

#1: Cover lots of ground at decent pace looking for very fresh sign, then slow down...focus on areas with little to no human activity (not just avoiding hunters - but all recreation). It helps to avoid trailheads and parking spots - I typically like to park roadside at random spots to access small pockets to check out. Crossing a big stream and/or heading uphill also gets rid of pressure quickly.

#2: Check the Wind, Check the Wind, Check the Wind! Far better to puff the wind checker every 5 minutes than not at all. You'll never fool an elk's nose. If you believe in scent lock clothing or scent away sprays - you are a fool.

#3 Stay Positive - Be Mentally Prepared! The large majority of archery elk hunters are done days before they even go home...so many times after 1 hard day in the mountains, they are already hanging their head, missing home, can't stop checking facebook, whatever. Find a way to stay positive everyday, enjoy every second of the hunt (you've planned this for months), and keep doing the little things all the way up until the last day. It only takes one elk and could happen at any moment - be mentally ready!
Really solid advice, I appreciate that! I definitely need to keep all of that in mind. I figured wind was even more important for elk than whitetail, and that just confirms it.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I have hunted 3 states, 30 days in 3 years. I have gone DIY, fully guided and semi guided. Zero shot opportunities on any bull. I have found and seen bulls every hunt, some absolute giants. I have well over a 100 archery kills just cannot get it done on a bull elk. Hats off to you guys getting it done consistently.

You're putting in the effort...my guess is you are close to tagging one.
Any particular lesson jump out at you on these hunts?

Also - were the 3 hunts similar or different as far as terrain/elevation, season/temps, open/dark timber?
Do you have another elk hunt in the future?

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Remember, just because you can't hear them doesn't mean they aren't there. This past season we got in a day before opener to hear bulls all over in the main drainage we were hunting. Come opening morning the rain and fog rolled in, bringing 3 days of silence. Other folks we talked to that had rolled in later were convinced there were no elk to be found, and we might have as well if we'd not been there earlier. They don't have to talk, but the sign doesn't lie. Trust that more than anything.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Remember, just because you can't hear them doesn't mean they aren't there. This past season we got in a day before opener to hear bulls all over in the main drainage we were hunting. Come opening morning the rain and fog rolled in, bringing 3 days of silence. Other folks we talked to that had rolled in later were convinced there were no elk to be found, and we might have as well if we'd not been there earlier. They don't have to talk, but the sign doesn't lie. Trust that more than anything.

Agreed. Fresh slimy scat is the best indicator on the mountain.

You're putting in the effort...my guess is you are close to tagging one.
Any particular lesson jump out at you on these hunts?

Also - were the 3 hunts similar or different as far as terrain/elevation, season/temps, open/dark timber?
Do you have another elk hunt in the future?
The terrain and conditions have been pretty diverse in all three of my hunts:
Colorado early season- above tree line impossible to get to, not rutting.
WY early season - dark thick timber and meadows. It was crazy hot. Lots of wolves and bears.
NM 2nd season - thick country, rock canyons, I was so close on multiple dream bulls

I unfortunately do not have an elk tag this year and am cashing in on Whitetail points for a huge deer tour for most my PTO. Already have archery elk FOMO bad.

Lessons learned - Save up for private land access because public land archery elk hunting is HARD lol. No - I have been very close, and I learn more and more every year. Continue to use forums like this, YouTube, local archery shops and pick the brains of the successful guys.

Jaquomo

WKR
Where I hunt now there isn't any glassing, and they very rarely make any noise during daylight, but they are there. I look for sign, tracks, etc away from bedding areas so I can try to figure them out without spooking them.

It's also a heavily hunted area with lots of ATV traffic all summer and fall. The elk that live there have adapted, and dont usually freak out if disturbed. They just move on on their 5 day cycle.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Last year was my first elk hunt ever. Archery OTC got within 300 yards on a weekend trip out and they spooked at what sounded like a limb breaking off and falling to the ground, being in a burned area it didn't seem to odd but got the herd moving out of the area. I'd say I need to spend more time out there. Constantly learning where they are at certain times of the year and where they are not.

Time in the woods is the most important aspect to success. Besides that learn how to call effectively! Guys who are good/smart callers are still locating and calling in bulls in these units that have “silent” elk or areas that are “over called”