Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

philcox

WKR
Tikka T3X 300WM, stock bolt, trigger, bottom metal, and mag
22" CarbonSix Featherlite 1:9 twist (planning on 175g LRX)
Mesa Precision Arms Altitude Stock
Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 Windplex with ZL (tally single piece X-Low mounts)
WIll have a Ross Muzzle Break (self-time) when in Cali, and use my dad's Banish 30 can when out of state
Sits at 8.3lbs as pictured (unloaded)

Sitting at just around $3300 with the Muzzle Break (not the Can). I think you can get something similar from some custom makers out there, and save some time. Might be a bit more $, but likely not much. I did ike the experience of making this happen though. Now I'll drop another $200 easy on load development :)

View attachment 412084
Ok, after a BUNCH of trying with the 181 Hammer Hunter, I ended up with 175 LRX, 73.3g RL23, ADG, CCI 250, 3.360 OAL @ 3100fps. The Hammer was the best load by far (1/4 moa) but it was too much pressure, and backing it off spread the groups. I opted for the 175, shooting sub-moa, so it works. I may try another load if components get more available, but at this point, that is the load I will be using.

I bought an atlasworx bottom metal and thought it sucked because the metal around the bow edges was so angular and sharp it felt horrible, the color on it was very light compared to the action, and the large protruding lever to release the mag was always getting accidentally tripped by my hand while carrying the rifle. So I would not recommend that one. The high desert rifle works guard looks pretty nice although in the pictures it looks like the guard bow edges would be sharp as well. It could be smooth up pretty easily if you have any kind of metal finishing ability. I filed down the corners on my Atlas works guard and then polished it and had it cerakoted. That improved the feel and look of it greatly.
I'm running an Atlasworx for 3.715 AICS on one Tikka. I don't find the fit, finish or design to be an issue, but I do agree that the mag catch lever is too long; easy enough to fix, though. Took enough inletting to fit it. Overall it does it's job well.

The MT bottom metal for AICS mags is a better design. The lever is smaller, and it has front protection built in to keep the mag from getting knocked around when shooting off of a for-end rest. IIRC, they fit right into the standard OEM cut out.

If you're sticking to OEM mag designs, I like the MT bottom metal. The 300WSM pictured below has MT bottom metal and long action MT Billit mags, which yields an exceedingly smooth and reliable cycling set up with all the COAL you can use.

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_181108.jpg
    IMG_20220603_181108.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20221007_193446.jpg
    IMG_20221007_193446.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20221007_193522.jpg
    IMG_20221007_193522.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
My latest....

• Caliber: 30 Nosler
• Action: Tikka T3x
• Barrel: 26” Proof Sendero Lite 1:10
• Stock: Manners EH1-A
• Bottom Metal: RedSnake nEXTgen TRG Bottom Metal
• Cerakote: Tungsten (action and stock)
• Scope: Tangent Theta 5-25 with Spuhr one piece mount

316f0e4c-78eb-4531-96b2-0d52afdddb3b.jpeg
That’s bitchin man!

rijoh

FNG
Just an opinion but I feel an aftermarket stock gives you better recoil management, balance, and overall comfort. I wouldn't go back to factory.

My Tikka in 7 SAUM has worn a Mesa Precision Altitude and I really like it. But wanted to try one of the new Stocky VG stocks because they are so ultralight. It came with the recoil lug at 22.4 ounces. The gel coat on it was very glossy so I did a little sponge and then a matte clearcoat to tone it down. The rifle with the scope comes in at 7 lbs 10.1 oz. which will be nice to carry in the field.

One other alteration was that the LOP came in at 13 1/4 so I added a kick-eez 1/4" spacer and it feels right. Most stock everything just drops right in with no smithing required.

1665707216662.png

Lil-Rokslider
Latest update to my tikka game gun. Should have gone this route from the get go.
MDT ACC chassis. Makes me want to order a hnt 26 to try

View attachment 451401
I have the ACC with all the internal weights and some home made exterior weights. I can get it up around 23 lbs and it balances great. I just picked up a HNT26 but I haven't put a rifle in it yet.

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone in here add flush cups to the factory tikka stock?

Use this for your butt end, they work great. You can tap and epoxy in their other ones in the forend. I like mine on the sides of the stock so the rifle lays flat on your back.

Just an opinion but I feel an aftermarket stock gives you better recoil management, balance, and overall comfort. I wouldn't go back to factory.

My Tikka in 7 SAUM has worn a Mesa Precision Altitude and I really like it. But wanted to try one of the new Stocky VG stocks because they are so ultralight. It came with the recoil lug at 22.4 ounces. The gel coat on it was very glossy so I did a little sponge and then a matte clearcoat to tone it down. The rifle with the scope comes in at 7 lbs 10.1 oz. which will be nice to carry in the field.

One other alteration was that the LOP came in at 13 1/4 so I added a kick-eez 1/4" spacer and it feels right. Most stock everything just drops right in with no smithing required.

View attachment 463267
I was just made awaretVhis week that they'll be offering the VG in LH for Tikka. When available I'll give one a try.

What are you running for mags on your SAUM?

rijoh

FNG
I use the standard Tikka long action magazine. The package said it fits the 7mm RM, 300 Win Mag, a few others. No feeding issues whatsoever for my 7 SAUM. It has the super smooth action TIkka's are known for. I've experimented with a few different bullets through it from the Barnes 145 LRX and Nosler ABLR 175 at 2.825, Berger 195 at 2.935, and lately have been trying the Cutting Edge Lazer 160's to 3.085. All have fed well.

Last edited:

Mlutz

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 463267
I am currently trying to decide between a mesa and stocky stock right now and one thing I have read about the stocky is it doesn't have pillars and is soft around where the action mates with the stock. Did you have any issues?

I’m very interested in the Stocky’s nextgen carbon VG stocks. I have an Alterra carbon stock that I love, but they are unavailable now and I’m building another tikka and am considering the Stockys VG or waiting to see when Alterra will offer the stocks again or finding a used one.

Any info on the Stockys would be very welcome.

I really like the negative comb and the heel above the bore line on the Alterra, also the asymmetric wrist and palm swell is very natural. How does the geometry on the Stockys compare? Anyone have experience with both.

Anyone have an Alterra for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently trying to decide between a mesa and stocky stock right now and one thing I have read about the stocky is it doesn't have pillars and is soft around where the action mates with the stock. Did you have any issues?
The mesa's I have and have used for other's projects have all been great. No experience with the Stocky's VG; however, they've just announced that they'll be offering them for Tikka in LH, so I plan to get one to try when I can.

Surprised they don't offer pillars as an add on.

rijoh

FNG

It is not soft at all. I was concerned about the lack of pillars too but read post #7 from LRI. Stocky's machine work is very well done and super snug around the action, the barrel is floated. Everything from the grip forward is solid. Back towards the recoil pad is a light foam probably to reduce weight. Tapping on it, the mesa sounds more solid towards the recoil pad.

Mlutz

Lil-Rokslider
The mesa's I have and have used for other's projects have all been great. No experience with the Stocky's VG; however, they've just announced that they'll be offering them for Tikka in LH, so I plan to get one to try when I can.

Surprised they don't offer pillars as an add on.
I think it is a fairly new offering and they are working on adding options but do not know if pillars will be one of those options. They just recently added finishes other than bare carbon.

Tullis94

WKR

View attachment 463267
Could you measure from the front of the bottom metal to the end of the stock? I'm wanting to know if one of SRS arca hunters rails will fit.