Let's Talk Fletching Jigs

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
-i- do 4 because (A)the weight, or lack of, i wanted on the back end of my arrow and (B) the surface area i wanted to have to achieve drag for a forgiving arrow was best facilitated with a 4 fletch of ff sk200's (4.4g apiece). i also like being able to nock without the need of looking at my vane orientation....

Are you from Oregon? That's really the only place I've seen multiple people shoot 4

OP
Brandon Pattison
4-fletch has many reasons. First, same as above, no need to look. Howard Hill would most likely say the paradox eliminates the need. Second, I wonder if Ulmer tries to see his followers as a joke. A tuned bow should shoot any size fixed head with 3-fletch. I bet new quivers make clearance an issue. More wind drift. More rear weight.

IrishnId

WKR
I went to a four fletch because my arrows were doing weird things in mid flight. Now for you naysayers, my bow IS tuned, I believe I have some gripping issues. My arrows were hitting their mark every time, bit it seemed midway out they would get a little haywire for just a second. Add in the wind and I was getting an arrow hitting the target a lil sideways. I went with a lower profile Flex Fletch Silent Knight vane in four fletch configuration on a Victory VAP with a Firenock outsert running Steel force Phatheads and am getting phenomenal flight and penetration. A five to ten mph wind seems to have no effect out around forty five yards. Zero compensation on my part. Just what I found.

ontarget7

WKR
It's all a balance of The right tune, dynamic spine, FOC and proper form. When these things are in check it really won't matter 3 or 4 fletch they will both have great results. Personally for me I have seen no advantages in a 4 fletch. I tend to stay with a 3 fletch with a 6* helical and 2" blazers. This has provided the best results for me from target, hunting, long range etc.

MattB

WKR
Same here. The only negative I have with AZ EZ is they mark up my wraps. I wish the hole was bigger where you put the arrow through.

You can put gentle downward pressure on the arms when they are in the open position to make the opening for the arrow slightly larger. This should eliminate the marking of the wraps.

Personally, since I switched away from a 2" vane I am back in my Bitz. I can run a multitude of vane setups from 3-6 (even played 8 once) and I have a really good 2-3 degree on my vanes which is more than enough for me.

When I was running 2" vanes I used the Bohning Helix Jig with the black clamp 3 degree helical.

I am not a fan of anything that does 3 vanes or more at one time I am to OCD if it takes me a little longer I am ok with it I want the consistency vane to vane arrow to arrow.

Bitz for me too. It will do anything and with time you can perfect it.

attachment.php

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
That may be the case with the original EZ fletch, but I would be *very* surprised if the Bitz can put more helical than the EZ fletch mini.

Nope. Puts more helical than mini too. Not a lot but enough to visually see it. Took lots of trial and error of adjusting with the bitz to find the sweet spot. Just harder to operate to a beginner than the AZ EZ mini. But like guys said the OCD comes out when ya fletch

-i- do 4 because (A)the weight, or lack of, i wanted on the back end of my arrow and (B) the surface area i wanted to have to achieve drag for a forgiving arrow was best facilitated with a 4 fletch of ff sk200's (4.4g apiece). i also like being able to nock without the need of looking at my vane orientation....

Yep!
Four vanes is the way to go! Just like
Missiles!

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bohning Big Jig and it has been good to me as a beginner. Does very close to as much helical as the helix jig for blazers.

I got the big jig because I run 4-fletch too. Vanetec swift series 2.88". I just like the 4 fletch even though I don't see any real benefit.