Lets talk power banks for different types of trips.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what everyone else is running depending on the type of hunt they are. Currently I'm in the works on a DIY moose hunt in Alaska. Either 2024 or 2025, and plan to make this a every 2-3 year if possible. This hunt could go for 12-20 days depending on the unit we choose. My plan here would be to run two Nitecore Carbo 20k mah, Flip 36 and 28W solar panel. I always run a Flip 12 in my electronics bag, as twice now I've had my phone die at night packing elk out that were shot in the evening on day hunts.

For extended elk hunts 2-4 nights I always run one Nitecore 20k and the flip 12. For any backpack hunts 6-10 days I'd run two Nitecore 20k. I don't plan many trips though over 3-4 nights, but sometimes that scenario does arise.

I've tried the Anker battery packs and one I dropped and it split open and the other I had the metal part of USB come off and get stuck in the port. These issues are entirely my fault and no fault of Anker, but I still got turned off either way. I'm Definitely a fan of the Carbo as you can see. The 20k weighs in at 10.42 oz. The Goal Zero Flip 12 weighs 2.5oz which is why I don't mind carrying it all the time for some emergency power. I always leave my power banks wrapped up in cold weather, but am yet to have a issue with the Nitecore draining power if they get cold.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Packing list breakdown for phone/sat/headlamp

5 days or less:
- Ledlenser Flex 7 battery pack (2x18650)
- DE Poseidon Pro or Mophie Go 12k

6-10 days:
- Same as above
+ Extra Flex 7

11 days and beyond:
- same as 5 day load out
+ Ledlenser ML6 Lamp (18650 compatible)
+ Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD & 18W panel (hike in)
or
+ Goal Zero Yeti 200 & 18W panel (base camp)

There are definitely lighter solutions, but I’ve seen the above gear work in single digit numbers without dropping charge levels. If I know the area and won’t be navigating on my phone much, I can really stretch the basic setup.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
How does that 18W solar panel do for you. I really struggled to get one that was 18W that would charge anything worth a dang. That's the only reason I carry the 24w anymore. I'm not a electrician and it's probably something I'm doing wrong with making sure things are compatible. Ignorance is bliss for me in this scenario.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
It will trickle charge the smaller banks well, I only carry one on me and leave the other where ever I spike at. In one day with intermittent sun exposure it will charge a 12k mAh battery from ~10-15% up to high 90’s, 100% if the weather is good. I put the panel in with my stove so all of the big flat things are in the same place.

Pdzoller

WKR
IMG_6762.jpegThis is my electronics kit that I use for everything. Never been out for more than 8 days though.

Anker solar panels
2 Dark Energy Poseidon battery packs
Delorme Inreach
Fenix HM61R headlamp
Spare Cyclops clip on hat lamp
Garmin Instinct watch
Axil earbuds
Grakksaw boot dryer

It all fits in the insulated bag I made with duct tape and cheap insulation from Home Depot. Used it down to 7 degrees and up to 104 degrees with no issues.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 646873This is my electronics kit that I use for everything. Never been out for more than 8 days though.

Anker solar panels
2 Dark Energy Poseidon battery packs
Delorme Inreach
Fenix HM61R headlamp
Spare Cyclops clip on hat lamp
Garmin Instinct watch
Axil earbuds
Grakksaw boot dryer

It all fits in the insulated bag I made with duct tape and cheap insulation from Home Depot. Used it down to 7 degrees and up to 104 degrees with no issues.
I'm definitely planning on grabbing those boot dryers for Alaska. How have they worked for you so far, and how much juice do they take to run? I would most definitely make the jump over to DE if they come out with a 20k.

Pdzoller

WKR
I'm definitely planning on grabbing those boot dryers for Alaska. How have they worked for you so far, and how much juice do they take to run? I would most definitely make the jump over to DE if they come out with a 20k.
I use them all the time. My feet sweat like crazy no matter the temperature. I can run them over night with juice to spare. Can’t tell you exact power usage though.

GoatPackr

WKR
Interesting topic. I've been thinking about buying a better power bank myself.

I've heard good stuff about the dark energy brand.

Kris

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I use them all the time. My feet sweat like crazy no matter the temperature. I can run them over night with juice to spare. Can’t tell you exact power usage though.
Good to know. I'll be ordering a set soon to try out and test how many uses I can get out of a 10k.
Interesting topic. I've been thinking about buying a better power bank myself.

I've heard good stuff about the dark energy brand.

Kris
DE is a good one. Lots of guys like Anker, just not myself. Check out the Nitecore series as well. Lightest I've found, and I have abused mine.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't count on any solar charging in Alaska in the fall. I carry a 26k Anker and it's been plenty for 10 days trips, although I bring a second smaller reserve if I'm not too weight limited.

If you're concerned about wet boots, a hot tent is the only way I know of to reliably dry anything once you get good and wet and it's socked in. Been raining steadily for about 6 weeks now here in SEAK.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't count on any solar charging in Alaska in the fall. I carry a 26k Anker and it's been plenty for 10 days trips, although I bring a second smaller reserve if I'm not too weight limited.

If you're concerned about wet boots, a hot tent is the only way I know of to reliably dry anything once you get good and wet and it's socked in. Been raining steadily for about 6 weeks now here in SEAK.
I'm unfortunately a habitual phone user, and always suck a lot of juice out of all my devices. One 26k would last me about 4-5 days on a elk hunt between devices.

Definitely will be bringing a hot tent. Waiting to see if Argali spits out a 6 person, and if not I'm doing a custom job on a Alaskan Guide 6P to accommodate a stove at the rear of the tent.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a much larger group size one would be the way to go? I've considered that but never done it. Probably hold charge better and be more efficient than everyone bringing multiple airplane legal sub 25k MaH batteries.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I've considered getting one of those Jackery boxes, but know nothing about them.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm unfortunately a habitual phone user, and always suck a lot of juice out of all my devices. One 26k would last me about 4-5 days on a elk hunt between devices.

Definitely will be bringing a hot tent. Waiting to see if Argali spits out a 6 person, and if not I'm doing a custom job on a Alaskan Guide 6P to accommodate a stove at the rear of the tent.
We finally are releasing our Selway 6P Tent today.

CEG017

FNG
I have been looking into the Goal Zero Flip 24 & 36. Curious if anyone would have recommendations for a 3 to 5 ish day hunt? Would two 24s work or would it be smart to carry the extra weight of the 36? I imagine the only thing I will be using my phone for is maps.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking into the Goal Zero Flip 24 & 36. Curious if anyone would have recommendations for a 3 to 5 ish day hunt? Would two 24s work or would it be smart to carry the extra weight of the 36? I imagine the only thing I will be using my phone for is maps.
If it’s (a) not overly cold, (b) only using it for phone and not recharging headlamp/sat device, and (c) your phone use is reasonable…you’ll probably be fine with the 24, but you will likely only get just under 2 full charges. The 36 will give you 2 plus spare juice for other widgets or additional phone charging.

If it’s your primary navigation device, better to err on the side of “more is better”