Leupold RX-1000i TBR settings

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a way to use the TBR without having to select a ballistic group? My rifle/ammo combination isn't listed in one of their charts and I don't want my rangefinder compensating for the wrong setup.

All I want is for my rangefinder to compensate for the angle and give me the true horizontal distance to shoot for.

intunegp

WKR
I have the same range finder but thankfully my rifle fits into one of their canned ballistic groups and has been accurate enough to get me on target when I've needed to dial my scope. I would also prefer something that just told me the true horizontal range and I didn't realize this model couldn't/wouldn't when I bought it.

If Leupold's manual is accurate, this model is limited in that regard. The closest you can get is to set to TBR mode, then BAS. BAS will output equivalent horizontal range rather than a mil/moa/inch holdover. Apparently this range is still calculated with your ballistic group selection in mind. The manual does provide a page for what group to use if your rifle isn't listed, so you'll have to pick from them.

In thinking through it, I don't understand how an equivalent horizontal range can change based on the rifle, so maybe the group selection really doesn't matter in TBR/BAS mode. Maybe if I get bored while I'm out for second rifle I'll cycle through some ballistic groups and see if the BAS reading changes.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same range finder but thankfully my rifle fits into one of their canned ballistic groups and has been accurate enough to get me on target when I've needed to dial my scope. I would also prefer something that just told me the true horizontal range and I didn't realize this model couldn't/wouldn't when I bought it.

If Leupold's manual is accurate, this model is limited in that regard. The closest you can get is to set to TBR mode, then BAS. BAS will output equivalent horizontal range rather than a mil/moa/inch holdover. Apparently this range is still calculated with your ballistic group selection in mind. The manual does provide a page for what group to use if your rifle isn't listed, so you'll have to pick from them.

In thinking through it, I don't understand how an equivalent horizontal range can change based on the rifle, so maybe the group selection really doesn't matter in TBR/BAS mode. Maybe if I get bored while I'm out for second rifle I'll cycle through some ballistic groups and see if the BAS reading changes.
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering how the horizontal distance would change based on rifle or ballistic setting, weird. Was wondering about the TRIG function within the TBR setting. TRIG is not associated with any ballistic group so it should only give you LOS and true horizontal. I'll play with it this weekend.

intunegp

WKR
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering how the horizontal distance would change based on rifle or ballistic setting, weird. Was wondering about the TRIG function within the TBR setting. TRIG is not associated with any ballistic group so it should only give you LOS and true horizontal. I'll play with it this weekend.

Curious to hear what you figure out. Post an update please if you get a chance.

intunegp

WKR
Just wanted to share my (limited) findings:

I set my rangefinder to TBR/BAS and cycled through random ballistic groups while ranging objects 40-250 yards away at angles from 3 to 11 degrees (according to the rangefinder) and the range displayed for a given object did not change depending on which ballistic group was selected.

I'll still test this further while I'm out hunting as I'm sure any variance would be magnified at longer ranges.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I found the same. Distance didn't change with different ballistic groups. In the end I just kept it on TRIG mode and called it good.