Leupold vx freedom 4-12 or Vortex diamondback tactical 4-16?

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Either will be mounted on a Cva optima v2 as an upgrade to the current konus 3-9 it came with. Which are you choosing at this price point?

I’ve always had good luck with leupold and the one time I ever had to use the warranty they replaced a rangefinder that was out of their electronic warranty by a couple years with zero problem. I shot my buddies 17hmr with a vx freedom 4x12 the other day and I thought it was great, it would probably be a good scope for your muzzleloader. That being said, the vortex version of that price range and warranty is probably about even so if it were me I’d find the deal and go with that.

OP
Jlop_2

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys trust mounting either in the durasight one piece scope mount?

I bought the game reaper medium one piece mount for my accura v2. It fit perfectly but it is a little high. I ended up using a stock pad/ ammo holder which I happened to have and never used for anything to see if I it would help and it did. The shell holders fit my powder tubes one of which I use for a couple bullets and one for primers so it ended up accidentally being a great set up, but you might want to try a low mount if you don’t want to use something like that.

OP
Jlop_2

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the game reaper medium one piece mount for my accura v2. It fit perfectly but it is a little high. I ended up using a stock pad/ ammo holder which I happened to have and never used for anything to see if I it would help and it did. The shell holders fit my powder tubes one of which I use for a couple bullets and one for primers so it ended up accidentally being a great set up, but you might want to try a low mount if you don’t want to use something like that.
I’ll look into the game reaper today, I didn’t know they made a mount for cva. I’ve heard good things about them.

CorbLand

WKR
Have a Leupold Vx Freedom on my Optima in the Durasight mount. Its been on there for 4 years and is just as accurate as it was day 1.

I haven’t used the freedom line but I have the vx3i and vx5 lines. I like the 5s a lot. The vx3i was replaced with a viper hs. I’m sure the internals were better on the leupold, but the clarity was not. For a set it and forget it, the viper was a better option. Having said that, I know a few guys that use the diamondback tactical. They’re a ffp, and you may can get a sfp, I don’t know. What I do know is they track good and repeatable for the money. If you shop around, you can find some good deals out there. Personally, I think there’s better than the freedom line for the same money.

Rich M

WKR
How far are you shooting that thing?

i have a vx-2 and Dimondback. VX-2 is a better scope overall and low light but DB works good enough if you aren’t trying to shoot deer at 29 minutes and 30 seconds after sundown. Both are 3-9x40.

Imo, a 3-9x40 as it is more suited to ML. 4-12 seems a but much. Take this w grain of salt.

I have 2-7x32 viper on my Optima right now.

OP
Jlop_2

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
How far are you shooting that thing?

i have a vx-2 and Dimondback. VX-2 is a better scope overall and low light but DB works good enough if you aren’t trying to shoot deer at 29 minutes and 30 seconds after sundown. Both are 3-9x40.

Imo, a 3-9x40 as it is more suited to ML. 4-12 seems a but much. Take this w grain of salt.

I have 2-7x32 viper on my Optima right now.
I plan on shooting to 200 yards comfortably (with the right load dialed in of course)

I’ll look into 3-9x40 options as well. Thanks for the input as well rich! I’m definitely open to input as this is my first muzzleloader.

Rich M

WKR
I plan on shooting to 200 yards comfortably (with the right load dialed in of course)

I’ll look into 3-9x40 options as well. Thanks for the input as well rich! I’m definitely open to input as this is my first muzzleloader.
Looking to make my Optima V2 a 200-250 yard gun as well. Bought it last year for a hunt I didn't draw and have only put a couple shots thru it. Will draw ML permit this year so that'll change. Trying to decide if should put Diamondback BDC on there for the 200-250 yard bit.

Best wishes in your search. See if you can go and look thru a couple scopes, maybe bass pro, cabelas, scheels, whatever you have local. Might find one your eye likes best.

I really like my Vortex DB on my 22LR, but that's not a hunting rifle I'll carry around the backcountry. No zero stop or turret locks would scare me too much. Perfect for plinking though!

CorbLand

WKR
Looking to make my Optima V2 a 200-250 yard gun as well. Bought it last year for a hunt I didn't draw and have only put a couple shots thru it. Will draw ML permit this year so that'll change. Trying to decide if should put Diamondback BDC on there for the 200-250 yard bit.

Best wishes in your search. See if you can go and look thru a couple scopes, maybe bass pro, cabelas, scheels, whatever you have local. Might find one your eye likes best.
Leupold VX Freedom 4-12. 100 grains of Blackhorn. CCI 209M. 300 grain Hornady SST. Thats what mine likes and I shoot it to 300 regularly. I would push it to 400 if the opportunity was correct.

Rich M

WKR
Leupold VX Freedom 4-12. 100 grains of Blackhorn. CCI 209M. 300 grain Hornady SST. Thats what mine likes and I shoot it to 300 regularly. I would push it to 400 if the opportunity was correct.
Thanks, Corb. A 300 yard ML - dang! That's encouragement - I do have SSTs or FTXs, don't remember the grains. Will give em a go.

OP
Jlop_2

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
300 is definitely impressive. I have all three of those things, so I’ll give that load a try. Thanks for the heads up Corbland. 👍🏼

CorbLand

WKR
With time, dedication and trial and error, modern day muzzleloaders are really capable. Utah is really free with what you can use and they are basically single shot rifles at this point.

I started at 90 grains up 110. Shot five round groups in 5 grain increments. It settled on 100 grains and I havent touched it since. Tried about 5 different bullets as well doing that same thing. Put the time in and you will have one hell of a muzzleloader.

I leave my scope set at 6 power and 300 yards is the last hash on the windplex reticle.