Lever action coyote hunting?

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on here still using a lever action? Ive been looking at some in .243 and really interested. Any pros/cons vs a bolt action?

peterk123

WKR
I will be heading out with my Henry 357 on Monday. No scope, just a peep sight. It will be in fairly thick woods so I will be lucky if I can be as far as 60 yards for a shot. I'm pretty good out to a 100 yards with it.

Mt Al

WKR
Any pros/cons vs a bolt action?

i'm not a lever action person, but my buddy is insane with his love of them. His 2 cents are:
Pros: shorter/handier/smaller overall package, traditional, look cool. great saddle gun since there's less to go wrong.
Cons: Unless it has a scope mount, no where near as much range, limited longer range bullets - but the range isn't long anyway.

He shoots a 45/70 and uses lever-revolution bullets and enjoys the short range challenges.

Anyone on here still using a lever action? Ive been looking at some in .243 and really interested. Any pros/cons vs a bolt action?

If they are as accurate as a bolt action, why not lol I love a good lever gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
Waiting on some new scope rings and some brass for my 300 Savage Mod99. Have some 125 gr bullets and want to work up up a good load.

Maki35

WKR
.243 Henry long ranger? Henry makes some good lever action rifles.

I have a few older Marlins that I hunt deer & black bear with. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on coyotes.

Last edited:

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
My first was with a 94 .32 Special it certainly worked. A BLR, 99, 88 or Long Ranger would be even better suited. I'd like to see Henry add a fast twist 22-250 or 22 Creedmoor to the line up.

peterk123

WKR
.243 Henry long ranger? Henry makes some good lever action rifles.

I have a few older Marlins that I hunt deer & black bear with. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on coyotes.
Those Henry Long Rangers look awesome. I suspect it is right up there with a bolt action. Someday....someday.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran my Rossi 92 in .44 for deer hunting, did one coyote with it. I suspect that thousands of coyotes have died at the ends of .30/30s.

Until a bought a bolt action 223 a couple of years ago, my go to yote gun was a Savage 99F in .243. Great gun and got the job done. Lightweight, handy and accurate enough. I still like the .243 a little more for the reach and bullet selection. In some ways I think the lever is faster for follow up shots as it allows me to stay in the scope better but I am very familiar with it so that makes a difference. I will assume that you are looking at a newer levergun like the Long Ranger or a BLR. The pros would be barrel twist, detachable magazine, integrated mounts. Cons would be limited C.O.L. based on the magazine (certain models), accuracy, capacity.

I've got a Marlin 1894 in 44mag I've used for yote shwacking calling over a decoy. It's a fun. A shotgun works better though. Still, I like and shoot it open sight. Only other lever I have is a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 with a Burris scout scope. I use it on kayak swamp hunts and have it in reserve incase I ever decide to deer hunt one of the straight wall cartridge only states for some reason. Used to have a Winchester 30-30 and I hated it.

WCB

WKR
If your looking at something in a .243 the only con I can see is if you hunt in wide open country and have to lay down with a bi-pod...hard to work a lever that close to the ground. I have a Model 99 .243 shoots MOA all day with ballistic tips so accuracy is just fine and it has a scope on it.

Now if you are talking a lever other than the 99 then range and accuracy would be of concern. But, that also depends on where you hunt.

OP
ZRob97

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I’d really like to find a stainless ‘81 blr in .243. Has a cool factor and still very useful. Be a great ranch rifle it seems