Liberty Safes Provides Access Codes to FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s thread worthy because liberty has no obligation to provide a master code or key. Apple did the same thing with a shooting years ago but didn’t give access to a phone owned by the suspect. For gun owners it is worth knowing which companies respect your rights and doesn’t fold to alphabet groups for their given agenda.
Was going to post the same thing about apple.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A safe that allows the lock to be reset is a joke. Though, Liberty makes insecure safes, so it does not surprise me they use such locks.

Screenshot_20230906_122211_Chrome.jpg
The lesson, learn a bit about physical security.

Personally, I think the FBI should have cut it open, probably would have been faster than making the phone call.

A pretty bad moment for Liberty Safes when Apple is able to tell the FBI "no, we stand by our claims to protect our customers" but Liberty can not. Especially when it happens to involve the political persecution of their largest customer base, gun owners. Maybe the name should be "Liberty Unless the Government calls Safes".

Interested in seeing what they expect to find in his safe (that they somehow know exists SMH). If he was at the Capitol on Jan 6, he either committed a crime or he didn't. Not sure what would be in the safe that would prove that. They would already need to have the evidence for probable cause just to get the warrant.

Getting in through forced entry is different than giving out the code over a phone call in my opinion. Not very reassuring when a safe company is just willing to give out your combination. Would’ve rather had them say no personally.
They had the holes laid out with scribe marks. They knew EXACTLY where to drill. My new relocker basically junks the door if it's drilled.

I own a liberty and had to file a form with them with name and information of anyone who may need access besides me in the event of a death or so. If their name wasn't on the card, Liberty would not give them access, no question. Seems kind of chicken shit to me and not something a company named "Liberty" would do. Sure they would have gotten in, but that's their problem.

I own a liberty and had to file a form with them with name and information of anyone who may need access besides me in the event of a death or so. If their name wasn't on the card, Liberty would not give them access, no question.
So you gave Liberty your combo and filed that with them???

My wife and kids don't even have my combo. If I die, they'll have to break in.

So you gave Liberty your combo and filed that with them???

My wife and kids don't even have my combo. If I die, they'll have to break in.

No. I gave them my wife and kid's name and dob and some other verification. With that, they can then send a tech or a master code of some sort to a verified user to get in and reset. I'm not a big enough asshole to tell my wife and kids they'll have to break into my safe when I die. We keep important documents and jewelry in there as well. My kid is 3, she won't have access to my safe unless mom and dad die. At that point, who cares?

Possibly, Mine are electronic. They basically said "anyone you want to have access to in an emergency or death has to be named on this card"

It’s thread worthy because liberty has no obligation to provide a master code or key. Apple did the same thing with a shooting years ago but didn’t give access to a phone owned by the suspect. For gun owners it is worth knowing which companies respect your rights and doesn’t fold to alphabet groups for their given agenda.
But it wasn't the same thing. Apple doesn't have a "code" to unlock an individual iPhone. In the instance you are referring to, Apple was asked to create decryption software to give to the FBI. While the request was initiated to unlock a specific iPhone, the software could have been used to decrypt any iPhone which had great potential for misuse.

In this instance, Liberty gave a combination that is unique to that specific safe - not a code to open all Liberty safes. The technology exists to allow the FBI to access the safe contents absent the combination, which was likewise not the case in the Apple scenario. Very different fact patterns even if you do not understand that.

But it wasn't the same thing. Apple doesn't have a "code" to unlock an individual iPhone. In the instance you are referring to, Apple was asked to create decryption software to give to the FBI. While the request was initiated to unlock a specific iPhone, the software could have been used to decrypt any iPhone which had great potential for misuse.

In this instance, Liberty gave a combination that is unique to that specific safe - not a code to open all Liberty safes. The technology exists to allow the FBI to access the safe contents absent the combination, which was likewise not the case in the Apple scenario. Very different fact patterns even if you do not understand

There is a legal process to get hat information if th fbi needed it. The correct response from Liberty was "get a subpeona". Perhaps that is what happened and that will come to light. But the information we have now is that the fbi call and asked for it. By simply handing it over, Liberty has denied their customer a step in the legal process.

Unfortunately, we have now seen many instances where federal agencies have acted inappropriately towards political opponents. It was just recently that it came to light that the FBI was asking media companies to illegally censor Americans speech rights. So it is not a stretch to imagine that a violation of someone else rights may be occurring.

Liberty has bypassed one of the safe guards protecting citizens by justing handing his information over. I'm glad people know that is how they handle these matters.

The issue isn’t the FBI getting into the safe. It was going to happen regardless.

The issue is the company you bought the safe from sold you down the river to the Fed’s when they should be standing with you.

The outcome is the same, but it’s the principals behind it. I am in the market for a new safe, and Liberty will not be in my house because of this.

And just so it’s in the open, an iPhone takes less than 30 mins to crack anymore so you aren’t safe there either.
If a subpoena was requested that takes about 4 minutes to complete and some states only require a notary signature on those. Some people also keep things not protected under 2A in safes. Any safe company out there would have yielded its contents in a matter of minutes; lock smith, grinder or gaining the combo. The vast majority of people also provide the combo when asked to avoid damage. I think some are getting upset for a safe owner who may not even feel sold out by liberty. I’d send them a thank you letter when I got out that I came home to a working safe. And I do own a liberty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back