lightened up a few items....loved it

BRWNBR

WKR
So i took my 416 ruger that drags me down at 9lbs and had some work done to it. needless to say its 5lb 11oz now. huge difference and a joy to carry, my back and shoulders no longer work and i don't have to pack my backpack to compensate for the weight on the side.

I also got a enlightened equitment zero degree quilt, based off what i've read about them in there. wow. wow. wow. its all i used for my inland hunts this year, below freezing temps, hot temps i used it, coupled with my neo air mattress i dropped almost two pounds of my sleeping system. so between gun and sleeping system i took about 5lbs outa my pack. not huge but it was noticable when it came to taking those five pounds and putting more food or some creature comfort into my pack. clients loved it when i busted out my bluetooth speakers and we jammed to metallica before bedtime!

AdamW

WKR
What did you have done to the .416 to drop that much weight? Cut it down to a pistol grip and 10" barrel? :D Pretty impressive!

PNWGATOR

WKR
I'd love to see pics of the .416. I have a .375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in stainless that's also Cera coated in an aftermarket HS precision stock. I'd be game for it loosing a few pounds.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Dang man I didn't think you could get a Ruger that light. Let alone one in 416. Even if you are just running no optics and open sights only 5 pounds 11 oz is awesome!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Here are some pics of the gun and a little write up....

I sent my .416 ruger guide gun to rick stienhour of extreme rifle works in texas to have it put on a diet and make it more functional as a tool for my guiding. haev about 100 rounds thru it and several hunts so its not spottless straight from the smith anymore but these pics will give you and idea.
It came back at 5lb 11oz, new stock to fit my shorter arms and smaller hands, fluted and dimpled bolt, turned down barrell action and front sight, rear sight removed (have a peep for it), moved the sling stud to the nose to elimnate busting my fingers, shortened the forend of the stock about 5 inches, cerakoted it and installed a new recoil pad.
the gun fits amazing, handles amazing, shoots awesome. we have 300 gr TSX at 2600fps right now, its shooting about 1.5" groups but we haven't played with the load to much at this point. i'm thrilled with the gun, ricks turn around was less than three weeks since the post office lost the gun for 21 days...i was running behind and rick hammered it out and sent me updates almost every day on what he was working on next!
image_zpssznzezf9.jpg

image_zpsaenng8vk.jpg

image_zps5xbesnv8.jpg

image_zps7dfi3tfy.jpg

bhylton

WKR
whats with the black tape on your barrel just in front of the stock? ive been seeing that alot these days

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It's a spare wrap to go over your barrel after you shoot off the tape on your muzzle. I usually have a wrap sometimes two on most my rifles as well.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
nope luke, i got a crack in my barrel. tapes there to fix it. ;)

The general rule of thumb for tape holding cracked barrels is half twist per 100 caliber increment. So if he has 3 wraps, he's good to go for at least 1000 rounds. If sheep hunting you can cut it down to 2 wraps though and just file the tip off the bullets.

Edit to add:
Sweet looking 416!!!

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Cracked barrel taping is also temps tyre dependant..colder it takes less wraps.

I'm thinking of going all tape next season. Lighter than carbon and I could really McGyver up some gear if needed.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say I bring my bluetooth speaker, but definitely throw the head phones in and jam out in the tent before bed. Glad I'm not the only one haha