Ultralight Clothing Systems and Strategies; A novel approach?

Hey y’all,

Just thought I’d do a little writeup of a new to me ultralight layering system I was playing with this year in hopes others might stay a little warmer and dryer out there. Before anybody rips me saying this should be in clothing, the focus is not on the clothing but how you can use layers of ultralight garments to make a more robust system then their counterparts (active insulation/"breathable"rain gear)

The basic gist is this. Ounce for ounce on a late season hunt I would take two thin base layers over pretty much any other gear; one merino, one synthetic. As I stomp up the hill on the backside of the drainage I want to hunt in the dark, I’m wearing synthetic. 50 yards before the top I stop, strip, wipe all my sweat off with my synthetic shirt, put on long underwear and my dry merino baselayer I turn my headlamp off and do this all in the dark to let my eyes adjust to the lack of light. Dry and cold, I stomp the last bit up the hill in the dark, regaining my body heat.

Result: I slip into a glassing spot, no headlamp, no noisy BS, warm and dry. I hang the synthetic shirt on a tree. In the rare event that it’s not bone dry by the time i’m done glassing, I’ll hang it from my pack as I hunt.
-Extra weight of synthetic layer: 5oz

For weird weather hunts I combine this tactic with a Patagonia Houdini in lieu of rain gear. I’m too sissy to stay warm in the rain in just a base layer, and I found myself rushing through benches or increasing my pace to heat up and losing opportunities as a result. For me, the houdini on top of a synthetic is the ticket to being warm while moving in the rain. When glassing, keep the houdini on the outside of your puffy and it’s extremely good at blocking the wind.

The reason I prefer this system to active insulation system is how you can leverage it’s modularity to take advantage of the thermodynamics involved in how heat moves water across membranes. The greater the difference in temps, the more energy there is in a system to push water through that membrane. With that houdini close to your skin, its incredibly breathable. With it on top of my puffy, its very wind resistant.
-Extra weight of Houdini: 3.7 oz

Pair all of this with a 5oz tarp shelter that doubles for glassing in the rain and you have a 8.7 oz clothing system that keeps you warm when you’re moving and dry when you’re glassing/sleeping. There are times I still wore rain gear, and there are times I brought only one base layer. But by keeping an eye on the weather, you can use different combinations of these layers and how they are oriented relative to each other, to create a system that outperforms either “breathable” rain gear or active insulation at a fraction of the weight. Hope this helps, stay warm!

• Banned
OP
C
I don’t know where you hunt, but up here in Alaska that system would get you killed.
Definitely, this is not a Northern BC/AK system. This is a light and fast bivy for elk/muley type system. I would still bring a Houdini, and use these tactics anywhere I went, including Alaska. I would also have some bomber rain gear.

I've heard well respected sheep hunters not bringing rain pants up north in August, with the intent of being under a tarp/ in a bomber shelter if a big system rolls through. That said, the interior definitely isn't coastal BC/ Alaska, so to each their own.

Beendare

WKR
Many times I do just that, SS merino base and LS syn or another merino over, early archery season. If its freezing I add that Traverse weight fleece. Been doing that for decades.

A jacket just comes off 1/2 mile up the trail anyway.

That traverse or = along with a rain shell is always in my pack- good down to freezing or if its wind/ rain.

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
First ever seeing that houdini rain jacket. It's considerable weight savings over my Kuiu Northridge(14oz). It would probably be enough for September as little as I use it.
It makes me question, what other ultralight raingear is out there I've missed. Any other recomendation? Any in Camo?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
First ever seeing that houdini rain jacket. It's considerable weight savings over my Kuiu Northridge(14oz). It would probably be enough for September as little as I use it.
It makes me question, what other ultralight raingear is out there I've missed. Any other recomendation? Any in Camo?
The Houdini is not rain gear, misty sprinkles at best which is what wind shells do while minimizing sweat buildup. For ultralight rain gear there’s the OR helium, montbell versalite, Zpacks and other cottage hiker brands make some. Definitely some compromises in performance and durability and features.

CMF

WKR
The Houdini is not rain gear, misty sprinkles at best which is what wind shells do while minimizing sweat buildup. For ultralight rain gear there’s the OR helium, montbell versalite, Zpacks and other cottage hiker brands make some. Definitely some compromises in performance and durability and features.
10-4, guess I didn't dig into it enough. I'll check out the others.

feanor

WKR
Do you have any experience with the versalite?

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of stopping and taking ten minutes to change why dont you just walk slower so you don’t sweat? Or wear lighter pants and shirt combined with hiking slower

TaperPin

WKR
When one of my friends have a set of super light weight rain gear I usually ask them if they have ever actually worn it in bad weather, or offer to go on a hike the next time it rains or snows. I will even volunteer to spray water on them before leaving the house.

I’m trying to imagine a time when the weather was so predictable I left good rain gear behind, and other than day hunting, or summer hiking, I couldn’t. The idea that something as minor as a constant drizzle forces someone back to camp to stay dry doesn’t seem workable.

What I can remember is going backpacking for 3 days in August and the sprinkles day one were supposed to give way and be clear all trip. We made it a short distance from the trailhead and got dumped on with water rushing down all the trials and visibility was crap. A good thunder storm was part of it so we decided to make camp early to avoid exposure on a big ridge in front of us and get an early start in the morning. It rained solid the next day, and half the day after that - as we reached the vehicles on day three the clouds broke.

Late September during an early deer season it was nearly as bad and the little ankle deep creek at the trailhead was well above our waists as we returned. 100% humidity combined with frost at night made that quite chilly in the mornings with proper gear.

That’s the warm season - October rain and snow is a whole level more serious and I wouldn’t even agree to partner up on a hunt with someone not prepared.

For those reasons I don’t see ultralightweight water resistant gear being viable rain gear other than for trips catching butterflies and taking pictures close to a car.

E2D6DE47-0824-4546-9665-ED72D627231F.jpeg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
When one of my friends have a set of super light weight rain gear I usually ask them if they have ever actually worn it in bad weather, or offer to go on a hike the next time it rains or snows. I will even volunteer to spray water on them before leaving the house.

I’m trying to imagine a time when the weather was so predictable I left good rain gear behind, and other than day hunting, or summer hiking, I couldn’t. The idea that something as minor as a constant drizzle forces someone back to camp to stay dry doesn’t seem workable.

What I can remember is going backpacking for 3 days in August and the sprinkles day one were supposed to give way and be clear all trip. We made it a short distance from the trailhead and got dumped on with water rushing down all the trials and visibility was crap. A good thunder storm was part of it so we decided to make camp early to avoid exposure on a big ridge in front of us and get an early start in the morning. It rained solid the next day, and half the day after that - as we reached the vehicles on day three the clouds broke.

Late September during an early deer season it was nearly as bad and the little ankle deep creek at the trailhead was well above our waists as we returned. 100% humidity combined with frost at night made that quite chilly in the mornings with proper gear.

That’s the warm season - October rain and snow is a whole level more serious and I wouldn’t even agree to partner up on a hunt with someone not prepared.

For those reasons I don’t see ultralightweight water resistant gear being viable rain gear other than for trips catching butterflies and taking pictures close to a car.

View attachment 672652
I agree with this but I still like my ultralight set for very specific applications. Primarily it’s for blocking wind on my half day peak climbs. Starting an hour before sunrise and down before the intense storms start. Definitely taking my other set for longer trips.

CMF

WKR

Most of my hunts in CO in September have had very little moisture. There were certainly some weeks I would pack my Kuiu, but there were more times when something much lighter would suffice.

rafiki

FNG
Sounds like a great approach, especially considering you've already tested it a bit. Adding a wind layer to my outdoor clothes was one of the best additions in recent memory. What puffy do you use?

Have you ever tried something like the wool fishnet base layers? https://varuste.net/p47127/aclima-woolnet-crew-neck-men
risky click of the day...and, honestly, pretty close to what i was imagining after reading "fishnet".

from the (translated) website description:
"In terms of temperature control and comfort, combining natural fibers with synthetic fibers is an overwhelmingly good solution. The woolnet structure, which uses soft merino wool, is always warm and very breathable. The fiber absorbs up to 30% of moisture before it starts to feel wet. Shoulders and elbows are separately reinforced. Thanks to the Total Easy Care treatment, Woolnet does not itch and shrinks very little."

definitely veryyy breathable lol...i'm struggling with the look though. am i missing out on not running this??

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Polar tec alpha 90g is the best warmth for the weight base mid that i have tried.

More companies are trying to incorporate it into their clothing lines because everyone loves it.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Polar tec alpha 90g is the best warmth for the weight base mid that i have tried.

More companies are trying to incorporate it into their clothing lines because everyone loves it.
What brand did you buy and how does it fit?

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Rab Flash hoodie. Im 6'2" 185 and it fits fine. It dries faster than anything I have ever worn. One of the guys that i hunted with in Alaska got some caribou blood on his and so he washed it in the creek and it was basically dry in 35 minutes.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Rab Flash hoodie. Im 6'2" 185 and it fits fine. It dries faster than anything I have ever worn. One of the guys that i hunted with in Alaska got some caribou blood on his and so he washed it in the creek and it was basically dry in 35 minutes.
I’m the same size. Did you get L or XL? Rab usuallys runs a but small

I quit using rain gear a few years ago. I spent 14 years in the PNW and never wore it, because I’d just get hot and sweaty anyway. Now I am in Colorado and still don’t use it. If it is raining hard enough to warrant rain gear, than I am not going to go anywhere. I will put up my shelter and wait it out. I’ve not ran into enough opportunities at animals when it’s raining like that to justify being out in it.