Lightweight 1-4x ?

Darryle

WKR
Here's what I went with

Leupold VX-III 1.75 - 6 x 32mm comes in at 10.9oz

full-25419-376465-032d6659_9a6b_401b_a4ea_06330c97db95.png

Rich M

WKR
6 ounces is a lot in scope weight, and definitely a lot when you start adding up all the other ounces. It can also be a lot in rifle balance with lighter weight guns. I've stuck with Leupolds because of the weight to quality ratio. However, the current trend is towards 30mm tubes and dialing, so I'm a bit old school in that regard.

Curious as to why a 3-9x is necessary for 200-250 yard shots? My highest power scope ever is 2.5-8 (that was a big jump for me) and I've used 1-4x, 1.75-6x and similar. Haven't run into a problem.

When it comes to brightness, quality does come into play in a big way, but so does exit pupil and that is related to power. Higher power scopes need larger objectives for brightness (we'll leave quality out, but that's probably most important.) For a bino analogy, I'm totally happy with good 8x30/32 binos for brightness, but want 10x42s to get the same. If you throw a pair of Swaro 10x32s at me, I won't drop them though. 😉
It is all about the eyes, the older you get the less they work. Weve got these stupid antler rules too. More magnification is better.

I do think the hew fandangled 2-10 scopes are awesome, just dont need another one. Would do that in a heartbeat.

Debating ove a couple ounces is fun but some folks take it to the extreme. As i said earlier, a couple less bullets will help offset any perceived need for a light scope.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going w a TR25 1-6 accupoint. It’s a bit heavier at 19.2 than I first envisioned, however I think the 6x w be a bit more versatile down the line and worth a more few ounces.

Thank much to everyone for sharing their thoughts and experience.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering how you liked the TR25 after a full season and what reticle you went with?

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Was wondering how you liked the TR25 after a full season and what reticle you went with?
I couldn’t be more happy. The clarity is fantastic and low light performance is much better than I anticipated. I’ve loved being able to keep both eyes open on low power, and field of view is kinda about as wide as your eyes can see when the magnification is bottomed out.

I went with a German #4. It might seem a little counterintuitive given the common reticle choices today, however that reticle is super easy to pick up quickly. The majority of my hunting is in the south east, the woods are tight and offhand shots are pretty common, so it’s perfect for what I do.

The weight was kind of a bone of contention when I first mounted it. I really don’t mind it anymore, overly light rifles don’t necessarily handle that great. I reduced some of the weight penalty by fluting my barrel. Obviously the weight of the scope is midpoint on the weapon so nothing feels wonky.

Attachments

• IMG_6342.jpeg
    IMG_6342.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
@Old-Cat how have you found the eye box and general useability of that scope compared to others youve used?
I don’t have a ton of experience with LPVO’s. But I’ve had no issues getting comfortable behind it. I think, generally speaking, Trijicon makes a solid product in all the important areas.

Last edited: