Lightweight Block and Tackle

Jwukie

FNG
Wondering if anyone has tried these? Obviously it won’t hoist a whole elk, but I was thinking they could be useful in holding a leg/quarter out of the way while working on skinning or quartering when you are solo.

https://packapull.com

I hunt white tails back east in some areas where quartering is a better option than dragging. I used some rock climbing pulleys for a couple of years to hoist them in the field to make skinning easier and cleaner. I eventually dropped back to skinning on the ground and using 550 cord to hold a leg if needed.

Rich M

WKR
I recently butchered a 600#+ bull. Used a ratchet strap - pulled it tight and then ratcheted it a bit.

muddydogs

WKR
I was looking at the Pack A Pull system as well. Biggest downfall I see is the 200 pound weight rating if a guy is planning on using it to hang quarters. 100 pounds per side or 200 using both sides isn't a lot when needing to hang 4 quarters off a mature bull. A front and hind from a good bull is going to be all of 100 pounds with the bone in.

From what I have gathered 2 of the Pack A Pull kits might be a good option if you are going to really need to hang all 4 quarters. Weight is probably the same or less then carabiners as a guy would need at least 6 carabiners to hang 4 quarters on 2 lines or 12 carabiners to hang 4 quarters independent of each other and all the associated cordage to make it happen. Unless of course your just using one carabiner and don't want any mechanical advantage which is fine for a light pack or food bag but tough to do with 100 pounds of meat.

All the ways to move stuff or hang stuff sound cool until you actually start thinking about needing to hang 4 quarters.

Start adding up the cost of carabiners, pulley's to put on the carabiners and all the cordage needed to hang 4 quarters and the $55 price tag of one Pack A Pull isn't that far off. A decent carabiner made to hold more then your keys is going to cost $10 per and weight around 1 ounce where the Pack A Pull is claiming 4 ounces or the same weight as 4 carabiners.

Well I guess I talked myself into ordering one to try out, darn it anyways.

I purchased a Pack-a-pull last year and was lucky enough to use it last fall during the Idaho Elk season. Our elk went down on the south face, but only about 400 hundred yards from a dirt road. While taking the elk apart I hung a front and hind quarter on the north side of a tree to pick them cool, as deep shade was not available on the south face of the mountain.
The pack-a-pull system worked flawlessly and made easy work with hoisting the quarters up off the ground. Had we been 4 miles instead of yards away from a road the system would have been an absolute life saver. In 2012 I killed a big bull 4 miles out and we did or best to lift the quarters 7 feet off the ground and payed that predators wouldn't find the meat over night. With this system you can lift your quarters 10, 12 feet and higher if you've found the right tree.
For the price and the weight of this system you just can't go wrong. I recommend this product to everyone.

Wondering if anyone has tried these? Obviously it won’t hoist a whole elk, but I was thinking they could be useful in holding a leg/quarter out of the way while working on skinning or quartering when you are solo.

https://packapull.com
I’ve used this system on a few deer and even on some personal around the house stuff. It’ll be money well spent and it’s a lot lighter than you’d think. It’ll easily fit in your pants cargo pocket even!

DIY HNTR

FNG
I have the Pack a Pull kit in my pack and think it's a great quality product and worth the money. I have yet to actually use it on an animal, but I have heard really good things about it for those who have. I think it's a great system to have in your pack for sure. I hunt solo most the time, so when i need it, it'll definitely come in handy.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was looking at the Pack A Pull system as well. Biggest downfall I see is the 200 pound weight rating if a guy is planning on using it to hang quarters. 100 pounds per side or 200 using both sides isn't a lot when needing to hang 4 quarters off a mature bull. A front and hind from a good bull is going to be all of 100 pounds with the bone in.

From what I have gathered 2 of the Pack A Pull kits might be a good option if you are going to really need to hang all 4 quarters. Weight is probably the same or less then carabiners as a guy would need at least 6 carabiners to hang 4 quarters on 2 lines or 12 carabiners to hang 4 quarters independent of each other and all the associated cordage to make it happen. Unless of course your just using one carabiner and don't want any mechanical advantage which is fine for a light pack or food bag but tough to do with 100 pounds of meat.

All the ways to move stuff or hang stuff sound cool until you actually start thinking about needing to hang 4 quarters.

Start adding up the cost of carabiners, pulley's to put on the carabiners and all the cordage needed to hang 4 quarters and the $55 price tag of one Pack A Pull isn't that far off. A decent carabiner made to hold more then your keys is going to cost $10 per and weight around 1 ounce where the Pack A Pull is claiming 4 ounces or the same weight as 4 carabiners.

Well I guess I talked myself into ordering one to try out, darn it anyways.

Looking at it realistically: A 200lb rated aluminum carabiner (on par in capacity) costs $2 at homedepot and is lighter than a climbing carabiner, a pulley in addition to the carabiner isn't needed as cord slides over the surface fine. If doing individual lines I have no idea why someone would need mechanical advantage thus a single carabiner would serve just fine wouldn't you say? Only 2 carabiners are needed to create a 2:1 ratio if needed to hang something heavier, again a pair of quarters at 100lb requires pulling down 50lb which seams reasonable to me. Seems like 4 carabiners would cover most situations if folks have a need to hang quarters with a bonus of being useful for other things when not used for that purpose.

I purchased a Pack-a-pull last year and was lucky enough to use it last fall during the Idaho Elk season. Our elk went down on the south face, but only about 400 hundred yards from a dirt road. While taking the elk apart I hung a front and hind quarter on the north side of a tree to pick them cool, as deep shade was not available on the south face of the mountain.
The pack-a-pull system worked flawlessly and made easy work with hoisting the quarters up off the ground. Had we been 4 miles instead of yards away from a road the system would have been an absolute life saver. In 2012 I killed a big bull 4 miles out and we did or best to lift the quarters 7 feet off the ground and payed that predators wouldn't find the meat over night. With this system you can lift your quarters 10, 12 feet and higher if you've found the right tree.
For the price and the weight of this system you just can't go wrong. I recommend this product to everyone.
After rereading what I wrote I think I was a little misleading.
When we hung the quarters of my big bull up by hand, I said the quarters were 7 feet off the ground. That was actually the top of the quarter's, so the bottom was only like 3 to 4 feet of the ground. Not high enough to keep any predators from getting to them. But definitely good enough to keep the cool air circulating around them until we could pack them out.