Lightweight stove (with sawtooth)

Adrenalinetaxidermy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gang, I'm sure there has to be a thread or many on here about this but I thought I'd try anyways, I own a Kifaru sawtooth (love it by the way) and also own the square stove from them. Great stove, easy set up, great carrying case, BUT it's over 4 lbs, small door opening and can only get about 30-40 min burn time before having to stoke. So started research and Have looked at Kifaru oval stoves, the round stoves from liteoutdoors.com. But ultimately trying to shave weight and increase stove door opening size and burn time. Any thoughts, experience or suggestions? Thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
I can tell you the door on a medium oval is smaller than a door on a medium kifaru box.

There's more depth under the door though so it's easier to get more in it.

They are a lot lighter and a little more adaptable with the different wall heights as well

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Could always do a Home brew. This is a stainless steel Toilet paper roll holder in its previous life. Now its a 2lbs stove I can strap to the bottom of my pack and not have to worry about much setup at all.

Screw legs in
unroll my pipe put the rings on.
and put the pipe in place with the spark arrestor

NorthEast

FNG
That's awesome. I am failing to see how that was a toilet paper roll holder. Have a link to where you got that?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I got it from a thrift store for 2$.

Similar products
http://www.organizeit.com/stainless-steel-toilet-paper-holder.asp (this one would actually make a decent stove)

http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Toilet-Paper-Holder-Stainless/dp/B000BDE20K

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J1W1RP1Z8FWF7QDWE7K

This is the one I used very similar anyways. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PQPHE6G1C6D0A64BD77

Its 5 inches diameter 14 inches long Close to same dimenions as the zeena

I started the project drilled the pipe hole and started drilling the door holes but then found I was missing alot of tools to make it great. So I sent it to Ed T who finished it up for me and also included the pipe and stoke pipe piece along with the Spark arrestor.

Ed cleaned up my work then finished it up by putting in the leg screw threads so I could take off and put on legs he put on the door handle and got it cleaned up to where it was workable. There are many of these DIY stoves out there. Including the Dog Bowl Stove which is pretty cool also.

Nice thing about this setup is hardly any assembly, its 14 inches long so straps in my compression straps at the bottom of my pack. and its all self contained I can roll the stove pipe up with all the parts and pieces put them in a nice sturdy stuff sack then put it all inside the stove where it all sits.

Here is the stove strapped to the bottom of my pack.

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That was right when I got it back its a nice rainbow color now as you burn the metal and it heats up it turns all kinds of cool colors. :D

Akshphntr

FNG
I have the lightoutdoors and have been betaing it all winter. I was considering making my own but this had all the features i wanted already. My latest concern is the stovepipe is leaking smoke into the tent. But its the same design as all the other lightweight rolled stovepipes so its probable not the design. Its kinda fragile and crinkly but thats why its 2 pounds ultralight. Its identical design to the ti goat and other role up backpacking stoves but i like the riveted doors and vent.

reaper

WKR
I have the lightoutdoors and have been betaing it all winter. I was considering making my own but this had all the features i wanted already. My latest concern is the stovepipe is leaking smoke into the tent. But its the same design as all the other lightweight rolled stovepipes so its probable not the design. Its kinda fragile and crinkly but thats why its 2 pounds ultralight. Its identical design to the ti goat and other role up backpacking stoves but i like the riveted doors and vent.

have you try to put the stove pipe end rings ?They are made from stainless steel and used on the top (or middle) and end to hold the stove pipe in a circular shape.Without them i haved smoke leaks too,always use them and no problem at all,i really like my Liteoutdoors stove.