Lightweight Suppressor Comparison and Poll

For Backcountry hunting, which suppressor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have read every thread I can find on suppressors till I am blue in the face and still not 100% sure on my choice. I want a ltweight hunting suppressor. It would be going on a 20" barreled 8twist 22-250 that Kampfeld is rechambering to 22 creed. I am having him build a shoulder for a direct thread.

I have looked at the TBAC 5, Backcountry Banish, and the Gunwerks 6ti. I want to stay short and lightweight as a possible. Considering its a smaller round (22 creed) can I expect a decent amount of sound suppression even from one of these smaller cans? Any feedback on the ones listed or suggestions? I really dont want to go over 6" and would prefer 5 since I am running a 20" barrel.

Would it be worth it to go to an 18" barrel to go to say a 7" can and still be around 25" max barrel length?

Raptor 8 stack @ 6.3" or SiCo scythe @ 6.16 w/ brake or 5.8"ish with just end cap are the most appealing options to me with what you seek. The 6 stack raptor is only 5.5" but I think I'd prefer the additional reported suppression over 0.8" length.

If you're worried about being 1" longer than targeted 5" can, cut the barrel at 19" rather than 20"

Of those listed I only have the Ultra 5. It is small, lightweight, but the sound suppression isn’t great compared to the Ultra 7 or some of the other cans. I think it all comes down to actual use. For a dedicated lightweight hunting suppressor that’s only going to see a few shots in a row the ultra 5 is good for me and goes on most my hunts. I’m definitely thinking about picking up the scythe-ti though.

In my case putting the hyp k on a seekins element, the outside barrel dimension is nearly the same as the inside taper dimension on the suppressor leaving no shoulder to tighten against. The $100 cgs thread adapter is necessary in this application.
View attachment 640389
Yeah that's really thin, looks like the adapter/brake is best for this. Short of a smith adding the Sig/Q taper to the barrel (which is my personal preference).

I have the Scythe TI on its way as my first suppressor. Hoping I like it. Planning on using it on a TBD 300 win mag. Looking at the X-bolt Speed SR with the 22" barrel ready to go for it.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I have read every thread I can find on suppressors till I am blue in the face and still not 100% sure on my choice. I want a ltweight hunting suppressor. It would be going on a 20" barreled 8twist 22-250 that Kampfeld is rechambering to 22 creed. I am having him build a shoulder for a direct thread.

I have looked at the TBAC 5, Backcountry Banish, and the Gunwerks 6ti. I want to stay short and lightweight as a possible. Considering its a smaller round (22 creed) can I expect a decent amount of sound suppression even from one of these smaller cans? Any feedback on the ones listed or suggestions? I really dont want to go over 6" and would prefer 5 since I am running a 20" barrel.

Would it be worth it to go to an 18" barrel to go to say a 7" can and still be around 25" max barrel length?

Raptor 8 stack @ 6.3" or SiCo scythe @ 6.16 w/ brake or 5.8"ish with just end cap are the most appealing options to me with what you seek. The 6 stack raptor is only 5.5" but I think I'd prefer the additional reported suppression over 0.8" length.

If you're worried about being 1" longer than targeted 5" can, cut the barrel at 19" rather than 20"

For 22 CM, I’d go with Raptor 6 with 3” Reflex.

I have the Raptor 8 with 4” Reflex for my 358 Win and 375 H&H. Works great!

I have JK Armament Versamax on my .223. Modular, but not the quietest.

I’ve ordered the Scythe Ti for my 6XC, 6.5 CM.

Tahoe1305

WKR

This. Excited for my scythe. Every time I read something on it folks seem impressed. And not just size and weight, but it actually appears to suppress well compared to larger and heavier cans.

mtnkid85

WKR
Whats your guys thoughts on these larger diameter 1.7-1.8" cans on lightweight hunting rifles with small scopes mounted in low rings? Are they interfering with your scopes view? I feel like that would be the main reason to stick with something like the 1.5" TBAC 5.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a nomad LTI which is 1.735” (vs 1.73” advertised for scythe). With low rings and no pic rail my 42mm scope doesn’t see it.

Whats your guys thoughts on these larger diameter 1.7-1.8" cans on lightweight hunting rifles with small scopes mounted in low rings? Are they interfering with your scopes view? I feel like that would be the main reason to stick with something like the 1.5" TBAC 5.

I'm interested to see what how different the Scythe is in that regard to my ultra7. how low you go in magnification makes a big difference. For example with the new maven RS1.2 @ 2.5x mag in UM high rings, my ultra 7 w/AG cover takes up a large part of the bottom FOV. @ 4x it takes up very little of the sight picture.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I'm interested to see what how different the Scythe is in that regard to my ultra7. how low you go in magnification makes a big difference. For example with the new maven RS1.2 @ 2.5x mag in UM high rings, my ultra 7 w/AG cover takes up a large part of the bottom FOV. @ 4x it takes up very little of the sight picture.

Trackselk

WKR

From what I've read, the ultra 5 is a waste of time (and hearing). I love my 18" 22 creed with the gen 2 ultra 7 (6.5 flavor), very quiet even with my hot 3559 fps rounds. That's with 70 grain monos.
But if the scythe-Ti is as quiet, I'll be upgrading

Does anyone have experience with the Diligent Defense Co Enticer Sti-S? Pew Research gives them very high marks. TIA.

Does anyone have experience with the Diligent Defense Co Enticer Sti-S? Pew Research gives them very high marks. TIA.
Yeah its a great can, especially for the price. I have their wolf hunter also which is basically just a 6mm bore S-ti. Havent shot that one yet tho, its gonna live on a 22cm I have coming. For my ears, the s-ti seems to provide just enough suppression for me to shoot a few shots on my 20" 300 prc without ears ringing with hot handloads. Would be perfect on something that burns less powder I imagine

josiahv

FNG
Yeah its a great can, especially for the price. I have their wolf hunter also which is basically just a 6mm bore S-ti. Havent shot that one yet tho, its gonna live on a 22cm I have coming. For my ears, the s-ti seems to provide just enough suppression for me to shoot a few shots on my 20" 300 prc without ears ringing with hot handloads. Would be perfect on something that burns less powder I imagine
I have one in jail that I'm planning to put on my 300WM once it's free. How is the recoil reduction?

I have one in jail that I'm planning to put on my 300WM once it's free. How is the recoil reduction?
Its pretty good, might be difficult to spot shots with the win mag tho. I know sometimes I got knocked off target a bit with the s-ti and 300 prc. I need to go shoot it more on my 6.5 prc with my other cans to see how it does on something a bit smaller

28bang

WKR
Its pretty good, might be difficult to spot shots with the win mag tho. I know sometimes I got knocked off target a bit with the s-ti and 300 prc. I need to go shoot it more on my 6.5 prc with my other cans to see how it does on something a bit smaller
How does it compare to the nomad ti or the new sco scythe? I ordered the sti yesterday.

How does it compare to the nomad ti or the new sco scythe? I ordered the sti yesterday.
I have a thread on the scythe I started you could check out. I need to shoot the scythe some more, but i felt like it sounded slightly better than the s-ti and nomad ti. Those 3 are fairly close and i think most people would be happy with any of them honestly

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
How would you compare the Wolf Hunter 6mm to the Scythe Ti?

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I think any of these quality cans makes shooting much more enjoyable. Get what is available at a decent price. Just did aoudad and elk (cow) hunt in west TX my son shooting his 8 stack (flush) I wound up shooting raptor 6 stack with 2” reflex. Both super quiet and zero issues w/o earpro. I’m not sure we’re under 130db but it’s quieter than the brake w/plugs and noise suppressing muffs on. No more percussion flinch. While everyone said his 8 was quieter than my 6+2” to me it’s negligible. If I were building a new gun tho I’d do an 18-20” barrel and raptor 8 with just a 1” reflex. (Reflex mount just screws on and off easier - no end cap tool needed).