Limb popping issues

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
So my upper limb is popping on the draw (sounds just like popping your knuckles but louder). It sounds like it's coming from the pocket, but I can't quite pinpoint it. I've taken the bow in twice now and the shop can't figure it out either. They greased the hell outta it, and it went from a series of multiple smaller pops to one big one. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The bow is a 4 week old Hoyt Helix. 82# at 30"

Pop usually occurs about halfway through the valley.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Everything is tight, and from what I and my buddy can tell it's right at the limb pocket. But we can't tell if the limb itself is popping or the limb pocket is.

Is the helmet comment in reference to my liking high poundage bows? If so how about we keep this civil. If it's a joke about the bow exploding then I get that, and am honestly worried about it every time I draw the damned thing.

fatlander

WKR
Sounds like the limb pocket needs some lithium grease, but it sounds like the shop has already done that.

The shop needs to reach out to Hoyt. But beware, you may get the “it’s your fault because (insert bs reason)” excuse.

That’s what Hoyt is doing with the botched carbon risers they just sent out.

I was a diehard Hoyt guy for a very long time, but they’ve gotten too big for their own britches. Charging stupid money for bows they can’t get right from the factory. They haven’t made a bow worthy of the Hoyt name since 2015 IMO.

Good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Flatlander,

Thanks that's about where I am. They greased it twice and it worked for about 10 arrows and started again. I will take it back tomorrow and see what they can do.

Haha Hoyt was actually my second choice. Was gonna go with a Prime, but we didn't have a primary dealer here, and I wanted a local shop in case there were issues. Low and behold about 3 weeks ago, one of our shops got Prime dealer status.

I suppose I'm lucky that Idaho recognizes it's Lemon Law for any product over a grand that is still under warranty. That's why I am so adamant about new bows going to the shop, just in case. Worst case scenario I guess I'll have to deal with that and go Prime for round 2.

Btaylor

WKR
Everything is tight, and from what I and my buddy can tell it's right at the limb pocket. But we can't tell if the limb itself is popping or the limb pocket is.

Is the helmet comment in reference to my liking high poundage bows? If so how about we keep this civil. If it's a joke about the bow exploding then I get that, and am honestly worried about it every time I draw the damned thing.

Mostly joking but I have had a bow blow up and ended up with a pretty good goose egg at the top of the forehead.

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha and if you saw me draw it so the bow tech could listen, I was flinching the whole time expecting a cat failure.

Sorry for insinuating the insult, but it seems allot of folks bag on high poundage

OR Archer

WKR
Flatlander,

Thanks that's about where I am. They greased it twice and it worked for about 10 arrows and started again. I will take it back tomorrow and see what they can do.

Haha Hoyt was actually my second choice. Was gonna go with a Prime, but we didn't have a primary dealer here, and I wanted a local shop in case there were issues. Low and behold about 3 weeks ago, one of our shops got Prime dealer status.

I suppose I'm lucky that Idaho recognizes it's Lemon Law for any product over a grand that is still under warranty. That's why I am so adamant about new bows going to the shop, just in case. Worst case scenario I guess I'll have to deal with that and go Prime for round 2.

Unless they disassembled the bow to grease the pockets plus the rockers it useless to just try and squirt more grease on it. It has to be taken fully apart and all contact points lubed. So make them take everything apart if they haven’t.

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Copy. It goes back in tomorrow. Hopefully they can get their crap wired

TJfromTX

FNG
I wasn't aware there some issues with their 2019 Carbon bows..... is this why alot of their Team Shooters (Cam / T-Bone / Dudley) are running the Helix? Never was a fan of the Carbon.... too much $$$$. Hope the Techs can get yours squared away.

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
I had this issue but on a different brand. Same story same ‘click or pop’ took it to the shop several times with no real solution other than being told it may need to be ‘broken in’....2 weeks later the limb delaminates. Needless to say I dropped it on the shop counter and said it’s ‘broken in now’ and I’d like a new one. Send it back to Hoyt and have them disassemble it and work on it. Obviously it is something the bow shop can’t resolve so let them know you don’t feel safe shooting it and would like a different bow.

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Well it appears fixed as of now. I got the bow back Friday, and only had the chance to run a couple hundred arrows through it this weekend. But it appears to be functioning for now... Thanks for the help everyone, still no idea what the true cause of the sound was, but hey if it works it works

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the older Hoyts had the same issue. It was actually the limb dampener popping away from the limb as it flexed away. Maybe a similar issue here. The rubber dampener was basically suctioning to the limb.

kodiakfly

WKR
That’s what Hoyt is doing with the botched carbon risers they just sent out.

What’s the story with botched risers? I’m out of the discussion forum circles, so I’ve not heard anything about it.

fatlander

WKR
What’s the story with botched risers? I’m out of the discussion forum circles, so I’ve not heard anything about it.

There was a thread here about it with a lengthy archerytalk thread link about the issue. There have been a few archery talk threads on the matter.

Basically the problem is the sight mounting plates on a batch of RX3 risers was not square, so owners ran out of horizontal sight travel. Hoyt originally was placing blame on owners for “using longer than standard sight mounting screws,” whatever that means?

Then they were magically fixing the issue but couldn’t acknowledge there was an issue. Bows were being sent back and fixed, but Hoyt wouldn’t say that there was a problem, what it was, or what the fix is.

Hoyt has really lost is after the z5/rkt era of bows.

Glad the op got his issue worked out though.

OP
SawtoothShooter

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
There was a thread here about it with a lengthy archerytalk thread link about the issue. There have been a few archery talk threads on the matter.

Basically the problem is the sight mounting plates on a batch of RX3 risers was not square, so owners ran out of horizontal sight travel. Hoyt originally was placing blame on owners for “using longer than standard sight mounting screws,” whatever that means?

Then they were magically fixing the issue but couldn’t acknowledge there was an issue. Bows were being sent back and fixed, but Hoyt wouldn’t say that there was a problem, what it was, or what the fix is.

Hoyt has really lost is after the z5/rkt era of bows.

Glad the op got his issue worked out though.

Appreciate it flatlander, and that problem doesn't seem to be exclusive to the RX3 my and my buddy's helixs both had that same issue running out of horizontal adjustment. But being fed up with my dealer, we just fabbed an additional shim for our Spot Hogg housings. Fixed the problem is a slightly farmer-esque fashion haha

Well it appears fixed as of now. I got the bow back Friday, and only had the chance to run a couple hundred arrows through it this weekend. But it appears to be functioning for now... Thanks for the help everyone, still no idea what the true cause of the sound was, but hey if it works it works

Glad you got it resolved. I had the same exact issue with my RX-3. Drove me nuts and my dealer nuts. Bow was taken apart and re greased three times. Out of nowhere it stopped last I had it looked at. I asked my dealer what he did this time and he said not much of anything but go through it and tighten up some screws. We are both still scratching our heads on what made it go away, and I probably put a thousand arrows through this thing in five weeks hoping something would fail or at least show signs of failing so we knew what to fix or look at. We are still both baffled and the loud pop went away mid draw cycle, and I can honestly say after five weeks of pulling my hair out I haven't really had a chance to even enjoy getting a new bow. If the pop comes back I may just lose my mind and wrap it around a tree lol.

I had it on the rx3 as well, bottom limb pocket it was overly tight, I took the cables and strings off and released the pressure on the vice and I still could barely move the bolts, I got it to back off maybe 1/4 turn and it stripped out. Pain in the ass bow but the popping stopped