Limited "spirits" in Jamaica?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Got talked into a "let's do a couples trip" vacation that's coming up in a few weeks. One of the guys that's going will ONLY drink Captain and coke but is saying that he can't get Captain Morgan on the entire island of Jamaica. Dug around the internet and didn't really find a definitive answer. Wondering if any of you worldly travelers had any first hand knowledge.

A quick search says he can bring 2 liters in his checked bag, if he really can't tolerate the local stuff. Or call the place you're staying and ask I suppose.

PMcGee

WKR
It’s been a few years but he can probably buy it at the duty free and take it with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Outlaw99

WKR
If he “only” drinks captain and not willing to experience all the other rums that Jamaica has to offer….id probably find a different friend to spend my international trips with. It’s not like he’s a whiskey snob who only drinks Blantons……he literally only drinks Captain….. he sounds like a real dork

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
If he “only” drinks captain and not willing to experience all the other rums that Jamaica has to offer….id probably find a different friend to spend my international trips with. It’s not like he’s a whiskey snob who only drinks Blantons……he literally only drinks Captain….. he sounds like a real dork
Can't disagree on the dork part. That said. he's the guy I'd call to bring a bag of lime, shovel, and a sheet of visqueen. No questions asked. Anyway, it's on him to figure out now. This thread is close enough to doing my due diligence.

I’d leave this chump at the baggage claim to fend for himself. I mean come on, i drank that stuff in college dorms cause it was cheap i never would have guessed there are actually people who only drink that.

Finch

WKR
My wife and I went to Montego Bay on our honeymoon in 2008. I remember Appleton rum being pretty prevalent then. It was good enough for us.

tony

WKR
Went to Jamaica on a cruise. Drank real Red Stripe, there is a difference!

Haiti as well, the Haitians were pretty cool, they love American white gals. Guess that’s why they kept feeding some awesome rum punch.

And just by a drink package when you get on the ship. One week, minimum 10 drinks a day. Pays for itself.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Can't disagree on the dork part. That said. he's the guy I'd call to bring a bag of lime, shovel, and a sheet of visqueen. No questions asked. Anyway, it's on him to figure out now. This thread is close enough to doing my due diligence.

Just bring him drinks and tell him what he is drinking is captians........
You know. What the women folk do to us.
Lie.

hunt1up

WKR
I quit drinking but when I was a professional drinker, whilst in Jamaica I drank a bunch of Appleton rum at the all-inclusive. It’s better than Captain for sure.

Going to a Caribbean island to only drink Captain is like going to a prime steakhouse and insisting they serve you a happy meal.

I’d go enjoy yourself and let that guy deal with it.

If flavored rum is on your agenda, you have to try "Wray & Nephew Cocomania". It is coconut flavored rum, and it is only made on the island of Jamaica. It can't be exported, so you will not find it anywhere but Jamaica. It comes in a clear bottle, and the label is blue and has a picture of a coconut on it. The best Pina Coladas are made with it. I know what you're thinking, it can't be that good, all coconut rum is the same. Try it, you will be amazed. When we cruise to Jamaica, it is always the first alcohol to be sold out in the stores, and sometimes we miss out.

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
Was in Jamaica earlier this month. Great people but they move on island time. Bring lots of $1 bills or you'll be tipping $5's and $10's.

I never saw any Captain Morgan.

The wife and I have vacationed all over Jamaica many times, with Couples Negril bring my favorite spot. They have a lot of local rums but don’t know about Captain Morgan. If he’s that particular probably best to bring his own. Try the Bob Marley while you’re there.