Limiting Technology, Aging Venison, Little Guns…

Westhunt

FNG
Great podcast as usual. As a Utah muzzleloader hunter I must say that I am torn by the wildlife board's decision to remove magnifying scope. I have have a relatively inexpensive off the shelf setup that is capable of shooting 500 yards. I harvested a great 170ish buck last year at 340. I have definitely enjoyed having a 9x scope on my muzzleloader, however I admit it definitely feels more like a rifle hunt than a muzzleloader hunt. I know several hunters that have harvested animals beyond 500 yards with a muzzleloader. I don't think the decision was made because of the 2.6% success increase, rather for the social factor of retaining the "primitive" capabilities of the muzzleloader hunt.
I can't help but wonder what muzzleloader technology will be in another 10 years. I'll throw some open sights on there, and I'll still have a great time chasing deer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great podcast as usual. As a Utah muzzleloader hunter I must say that I am torn by the wildlife board's decision to remove magnifying scope. I have have a relatively inexpensive off the shelf setup that is capable of shooting 500 yards. I harvested a great 170ish buck last year at 340. I have definitely enjoyed having a 9x scope on my muzzleloader, however I admit it definitely feels more like a rifle hunt than a muzzleloader hunt. I know several hunters that have harvested animals beyond 500 yards with a muzzleloader. I don't think the decision was made because of the 2.6% success increase, rather for the social factor of retaining the "primitive" capabilities of the muzzleloader hunt.
I can't help but wonder what muzzleloader technology will be in another 10 years. I'll throw some open sights on there, and I'll still have a great time chasing deer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
GREAT to hear from a UT resident on this.

I was torn too, but am hopeful that this change of direction might help draw odds and grow a few bucks. We shall see!

thanks for listening in.

I think a lot more bucks are going to survive because the 1x scopes I’ve used were terrible and couldn’t really stay zeroed from shot to shot. I might just go open sights for that reason when I do get a Utah tag sometime in the next couple years

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think a lot more bucks are going to survive because the 1x scopes I’ve used were terrible and couldn’t really stay zeroed from shot to shot. I might just go open sights for that reason when I do get a Utah tag sometime in the next couple years
Hey man Steve Alderman hunts muzz more than anyone I know and prefers open sight over 1x

Also, saw your article in (Epic?) 👍👍👍👊

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I am glad to see the decision. Muzzleloader season is my favorite season and I really think it’s going to help tags become more available for muzzy season. People are going to have to decide whether they really want to take the handicap of a muzzleloader over a rifle.

If the division had suggested a cut of 400 tags across the state, everyone would have jumped for joy that they were saving deer. I am glad to see the division taking a step back from just cutting tags and looking for ways to increase the ability to issue tags.

Time will tell whether my theories are correct.

I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the board striking down the “research hunts” they were proposing, Robby.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I am glad to see the decision…

If the division had suggested a cut of 400 tags across the state, everyone would have jumped for joy that they were saving deer. I am glad to see the division taking a step back from just cutting tags and looking for ways to increase the ability to issue tags.

Time will tell whether my theories are correct.
Hey thanks Corb. Time will tell on this

My understanding is they shut down the research studies because everybody was voting at the Rac meetings for no support. It seemed that people felt like it was too much too fast.

I wish we could have tried them, and hope that the idea is not dead for good

CorbLand

WKR
Hey thanks Corb. Time will tell on this

My understanding is they shut down the research studies because everybody was voting at the Rac meetings for no support. It seemed that people felt like it was too much too fast.

I wish we could have tried them, and hope that the idea is not dead for good
They were shutdown to be sent to the mule deer committee that should start this spring. I think you will see some of it come back but I hope that they try the restricted weapons hunts. I dont think we need to waste our time retrying the APR and/or shortened season dates. There is plenty of data around those.

Either way, I am all for trying new things instead of just cutting tags.