Ling (Burbot) Recipe & Questions

treillw

WKR
Got a creepy ling to cook up. How do you prepare them? I know a lot of people boil them in MT Dew, Sprite, etc. Something about boiling fish in soda just doesn't seem right to me though! haha

I filleted it the way this video says and have three separate filets. Another thing I'm questioning is eating the "belly meat filet". I know in some places where there is contaminated water, they tell you not to eat the belly meat because that is where the contaminates get stored supposedly. Thoughts?

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I have eaten Burbot (Eelpout here in MN) I have boiled it and baked it. I basically prepare it like I would regular Cod fish, it tastes very similar to Cod which it should since it is freshwater Cod. I typically have not breaded this type of fish, simply bake or boil and dip it in butter.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Poor mans lobster. Personally my favorite is boiled in Sprite, chunked up and breaded for an appetizer with pre dinner cocktails, pairs well with Crown/water or Crown/7! Had this a lot up at Lake of the Woods winter excursions over the years, yum!

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
The poor would be correct! Taste nothing like lobster.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I've heard poached (aka boiled) in Sprite is the way to do it.

Meateater just had one of their fur hat ice fishing tour youtube shows on burbot fishing and cooking, might want to look it up.

Legend

WKR
Fry it like fish waterborne.

As for the contaminate question there tends to be fat in the belly meat. My guess is someone connected fat with stored contaminates...just a guess. Regardless, in all but the nastiest environments you will be fine to eat a single meal. I only get concerned with women of child bearing age, children, and pregnant women in that order. Even then they are fine with moderation in most waterbodies.

Fry it up and enjoy.

JGTWI

WKR
I’ve had it baked or breaded & fried. It’s great either way.
If you fry it, try potato flakes as the breading.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I only eat the back straps. Cut them into cubes and boil in salt water. Like ocean salty. Once they float, pull out and dip in melted butter. Cant beat it! Poor man’s lobster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon C

FNG
It’s good fried in yellow corneal seasoned with what you like. I like to bake it with butter and garlic and Cajun salt. It’s good boiled but I like to fill pan with enough water then put enough old bay seasoning to turn water red then I squeeze a lemon in it and throw the pieces in water then I quarter an onion and throw in. A tablespoon of kosher salt. Bring to a boil for 15-20 minutes. Then drop in pieces of fish for about 5 minutes. They start to float. I usually do raw shrimp in the water after. That’s how I do eelpout anyways.

fatbacks

WKR
Fried like fish and chips. Chunked and boiled in salt water and dipped in butter. Basically any white flaky fish recipe works for them

My kids claim their favorite fish is burbot.

e14511a8aa9e86e66f6f60550b377392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bairdi

FNG
I don’t think the belly meat would have anymore contaminants than any other muscle would. The liver usually is where contaminants can really build up. As long as you aren’t eating contaminated fish daily, I highly doubt an occasional meal or two could be any worse than all the other chemicals we expose ourselves to on a daily basis.

Be sure and get the membrane on the belly cleaned off. I find it adds a stronger fishy flavor. One of those steel wool looking metal scrubby things for doing dishes works pretty good to scrub the membrane off.

I like using the Louisiana brand crispy fish fry mix. Cut fish into whatever sized pieces you want, roll in the fry mix, and deep fat fry in peanut oil. Important to make sure the oil is hot enough, otherwise you just end up with soggy fish. Burbot is also great for fish tacos, or pretty much anything you’d cook with cod.

Nom Nom Nom...

Gotta love them Lake Michigan Pout.

I separate the backstraps for poor man's lobster like others mentioned. Tail meat gets mixed with other fishes for fish fry. The bellies get boiled down for fish chowder.

Attachments

• 20201217_224902.jpg
    20201217_224902.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 13