Lite outdoors stove hacks

Just ordered a Lite Outdoors stove for my Argali Absaroka. Does anybody have any hacks for assembly and use? I’ve researched the mess out of this stove and the biggest complaints I’ve seen are 1. How low to the ground it sits 2. It’s a pain to put together and 3. The spark arrestor/damper system. In response to #1 and 2 I’ve heard of guys screwing on an attachment to the leg rods and drilling holes to make the wire system of the Kifaru Smith stove which is supposedly much easier. Any thoughts or additional hacks?

OP
RocketRob16
I don't care what potential benefits the baffle system has, THAT was a giant PITA to install. Mine is stashed deep in Unit 19 in Idaho I got so sick of it on a hunt lol.
I’m honestly pretty concerned with the initial install and burn in as well as setting up every time afterwards. Heard many comments like this. I’m also a southerner and have never seen a stove like this in person so my only outlet for information on the topic is this forum and the rest of the internet.

OP
RocketRob16
I see no benefit to the baffle and leave it at home. The rest just takes patience and practice.
I ordered it and the spark arrestor anyway to try out. Did you not find that you could almost close it off and get a longer slow burn with it?

Legend

WKR
With good wood and practice I routinely get 4hours. My record was pushing 6 hours. And this is without the baffle.

When the baffle is installed the stove pipe sits on top of the baffle and interferes with how it breathes. I understand the concept of the baffle but in this stove I don't see how it is intended to function. Not to mention it is a BIT%! To install.

OP
RocketRob16
With good wood and practice I routinely get 4hours. My record was pushing 6 hours. And this is without the baffle.

When the baffle is installed the stove pipe sits on top of the baffle and interferes with how it breathes. I understand the concept of the baffle but in this stove I don't see how it is intended to function. Not to mention it is a BIT%! To install.
Very interesting. Thank you for explaining that! Will make it a lot easier for me to decide to ditch it if/when I get the same results.

Have a well used lite outdoors.
Never had the spark arrestor.
Its a struggle to assemble but gets better if doing it multiple times in a season vs once a year.
If you want it higher some longer all thread for the legs would be easy.

OP
RocketRob16
Have a well used lite outdoors.
Never had the spark arrestor.
Its a struggle to assemble but gets better if doing it multiple times in a season vs once a year.
If you want it higher some longer all thread for the legs would be easy.
I thought about it and figured that would be the easiest way to add height since it sits so low to the ground. That or a stove mat.

feanor

WKR
Yeah just get it and set it up in the off season several time and simulate how it will be used in the field. Work through the kinks and figure it out before you’re actually relying on it in the field. You’ll be glad you did.

OP
RocketRob16
Yeah just get it and set it up in the off season several time and simulate how it will be used in the field. Work through the kinks and figure it out before you’re actually relying on it in the field. You’ll be glad you did.
Will do, I’ll have a few weeks to practice with it before I take it out for the first time. Thank you for the advice!

OP
RocketRob16
Got the stove in yesterday and burning it in today. Initial setup of the stove body wasn’t bad. Damper was a little tougher but not horrible. Burning in the stove body now as I saw someone recommend burning it in before the pipe to help prevent denting it where the two come together.

Attachments

• 06634129-FE0B-4943-B79B-7B6693DB0483.jpeg
    06634129-FE0B-4943-B79B-7B6693DB0483.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
RocketRob16
Taking it down the first wasn’t bad but took about 30 minutes in total. Getting the pipe, body, and damper rolled up together took a few tries to get right.

Got the stove in yesterday and burning it in today. Initial setup of the stove body wasn’t bad. Damper was a little tougher but not horrible. Burning in the stove body now as I saw someone recommend burning it in before the pipe to help prevent denting it where the two come together.
I saw that video with the kink. The owner of Lite replied stating that they've since used an ever so slightly thicker metal for the body and lightened the springs that compress the stove body, he said it was due to the springs and they don't see the kinks anymore.

OP
RocketRob16
I saw that video with the kink. The owner of Lite replied stating that they've since used an ever so slightly thicker metal for the body and lightened the springs that compress the stove body, he said it was due to the springs and they don't see the kinks anymore.
Yep, I noticed it watching the instructional video. The new springs are just right and very easy to put on. Also, I recommend wearing gloves at all times. Soon as I took them off for a second to have a little more dexterity I cut my thumb open.

Darg

FNG
Has anyone rolled the titanium body to have more strength. To me this would be the cheapest way to increase strength with minimal production cost. Is it even possible?
I am imagining the rolls in a 55 gallon barrel around the main firebox body.

3Esski

FNG
Seeing this pop back up I'd just like to claim my seat on the anti baffle train. Wasn't hard to install but did nothing positive for me, could be user error, after using ut both ways, no baffle.