Load hauling day packs for short hunters

Sethroski

FNG
I'm looking at getting a 1-3 day elk hunting pack. Load hauling shelf is mandatory. I'm 5'-7" and currently run a mystery ranch pop up 28 and use a gear duffel to do overnights. It's a great pack in the fact that the frame can pop down when not in use so shooting a bow with the pack on is perfect. However I would prefer something in the 3200 ci range so I don't have to mess with a gear duffel as it can get cumbersome when trying to work it on with elk hind quarters. Kuiu has the shortest frames at 22" followed by EXO at 24" and stone glacier at 26". As a short hunter nothing is worse than having my pack towering over the back of my head especially when trying to draw my bow with my camp on my back. Also when hiking up a steep pitch constantly looking up and hitting the pack with the back of my head is no bueno. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm dabbling between the exo k3 3200, the kuiu pro 3600 and the stone glacier solo 3600...

I think you can choose between 24” and 26” stays with a Kifaru. I think I went with the 24” since I’m vertically challenged as well. I do tower over you by a whole inch. Inches matter ya know! Lol

I think I'm about the same height as you and I use a Kuiu 22" frame. I have a 3600 and 5200 bag for it. It works great for me and I can easily shoot my bow with it on.

RCB

WKR
FYI Seek Outside has a baseline 24" frame, I believe. There are also 3 heights for where the hip belt can attach to the frame, so that plus the frame extension tubes allows for a big range in height. You might give them a look.
Also, how high a 24" (or 22, 26, etc) frame goes over the shoulder depends on where the frame sits overall on the body, and that varies by company, pack, how it fits you, etc. So it's not necessarily the case that a 24" frame from one company will ride the same height as that of another company.

OP
Sethroski

Sethroski

FNG
Do you have a kifaru?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
I love my 22" Kifaru frame even though I am tall enough at 5'7" to run a 24" if I wanted. You do loose a bit on the top end of hauling capacity, but it's not like I am going to be packing 75+ pounds anyway. The shorter frame is much nicer to have in the thicker stuff in KY for sure.

OP
Sethroski

Sethroski

FNG
What bag are you running on it? I'm interested the 22 mag but there's no quick and easy bow storage straps. Maybe they can be added?

wesfromky

WKR
I have a stryker, but had the Gen 1 22mag for a while. With a grab-it, sherman, or just some compression straps you can haul a bow with it, no problem. I would probably be running the gen2 22 mag if not for the stryker.

MattB

WKR
What bag are you running on it? I'm interested the 22 mag but there's no quick and easy bow storage straps. Maybe they can be added?

For carrying a bow, run a grab it and one horizontal strap. The Kifaru frames have quite a few tabs on the frame for that.

FYI not all frame measurements are the same. I've measured the Kuiu and the EXO K3 and the SG X-Curve and the Kifaru Ultralight. I have the data at home and can share later, and obviously I index off the bottom of the belt so that might throw things off, but probably best to take the manufacturers recommendations for frame size.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I am 5’7 and run a SO at 24”. I have not had a need to add the frame extensions while packing meat yet and it is a good height while hunting.

Lots of bag options to choose from on the revo frame. I run a Goshawk and Merlin day pack combo whether day hunting or spiking in and it fits the bill. Very versatile set up for me, but I will say there are a ton of straps hanging off the pack. The Peregrine may interest you as well.

FYI not all frame measurements are the same. I've measured the Kuiu and the EXO K3 and the SG X-Curve and the Kifaru Ultralight. I have the data at home and can share later, and obviously I index off the bottom of the belt so that might throw things off, but probably best to take the manufacturers recommendations for frame size.

9b4b2add5d0834be022e6ba35ea90d4e.jpg

I’m not tall and the kifaru duplex with a Stryker makes a great load hauler that isn’t too big for day hikes. I sold an exo k2 that also fit well. Either should work for this use case.

Afhunter1

WKR
I’m 5’7” and shoot a 58” longbow. No prob with my exo’s over the years had about all models. Have the k3 short and it is my favorite so far. Nice pack for our size. Also use pop-up 28 as my day pack whitetail hunting.