Loaded muzzle loader for multiple days

I’ve consistently seen this advice with full bore conicals, yet people say not to use a wad with Thor bullets, probably due to the hollow skirt. I wonder if this makes Thor a bad choice since there’s no wad sealing the powder.
Not in my experience.

OR_Hunter

FNG
Is it better to discharge to unload or remove the breech plug with an in-line to unload.

Wapiti1

WKR
Is it better to discharge to unload or remove the breech plug with an in-line to unload.
Six of one half dozen of the other. If I can, I shoot it out. If in a spot where that isn't feasible, I'll point the muzzle down, pull the plug and push it out from the breech end. If you go the other way, its a mess and powder will get all over the threads.

Another option is a CO2 discharger if one will fit your rifle.

Jeremy

tdhanses

WKR
I use bh209 and haven’t had an issue leaving the load in it for 10 days, just use common sense and don’t take it into a hot tent and then out into the cold, keep the barrel covered with a finger cot that can easily be removed each day to verify the bullet is still fully seated, duck under a tree if it rains and pull the primer when not actively hunting.

i leave mine loaded for the hunt. tape the barrel really good. i put mine in a contractor bag and leave it outside the tent for backpacking mz hunt, so it does not get my condensation inside tent. cva accura with bhorn 209, federal bor loc bullet , cci primer

Yarak

WKR
Depending on weather will determine how long i leave a load in the ML
I always cut a finger off a surgical glove and stretch it over the muzzle no matter the weather
As far as BH209 I've opened up my flash holes to .030 and havent had any issues since
I also add 10 gns of T7 to ensure proper ignition

Interesting thread. I feel like muzzleloading is all about finding the ritual that works for you and your gun.

I leave my gun loaded w/ powder and conical all season unless I go through a real wet spell and get worried enough about it. If it doesn't get used on game, I always shoot it at a target at the end of the season to see how it would've worked, and it has always gone bang. I'm still using a #11 cap and 777 because the supply I bought a decade ago has held out and the gun still works fine.

At the beginning of the season I clean the gun, take a fouling shot, then load powder and conical. I tape the barrel and keep the breech covered if it rains, avoiding temperature swings best I can as others describe. The fouling shot gives me a more consistent point of impact than a clean barrel and helps lock the conical in place (powerbelts can move in my barrel when it is clean). I am in CO, where it is overall pretty dry.

I believe that most misfires I have had over the years while target shooting have been caused by debris in the flash hole. It seems like that is consistent with the detailed response from sabotloader.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I still use a Knight Mk-85 with #11 caps and loose 777. My routine is to fire a couple caps prior to loading it. Once loaded, it stays loaded the entire week I hunt or until I shoot it. I’ve never had a misfire. I do take it in every night and put it in the room where the stove is which has very dry heat.

I will shoot/reload if it gets wet in the rain.