Loading for an extremely long throated 6.5x284

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help here. Loading for a family members 6.5x284. The gunsmith that built it throated it extremely long, too long, and I'm struggling to get an accurate loaded it. For instance, to the lands with a 156 Berger is a 3.360" measurement. The gunsmith/builder that built it was very known, and well thought of so not sure why he throated it so long. He's not around as much anymore or I would ask him what he thought should be shot in it. Has anyone had luck jumping Bergers? I've got 156 , 140 VLD, and a few 140 Elite on hand. Also got some 143 ELDX. Anyone had any luck jumping any of these and getting them to shoot well? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I load for a 6.5x55 and they’re pretty much all long throated. I’ve had the best luck with long bullets that have long bearing surfaces. A lot of high BC bullets still have a small bearing surface that ends up really far from the lands with long throated rifles. A more traditional bullet profile doesn’t have the same long range ballistics but (in my rifles) allows for shorter jumps and better accuracy