Long barrels, short forearms

Hi all, I was curious as to your thoughts on newer rifles with long barrels, and short forearms. I have a wyoming weatherby mkv hunter model in 300 wby. It just looks out of proportion to me, and the balance and feel seems a bit off. I was wondering if others have noticed this and what overall opinion is. I'm considering having the barrel shortened to 24, but hate to cut up a perfectly good rifle, but it may be worth it. Thoughts?

WKR
It's on purpose. Everyone is cutting back to 18-20 inches to run suppressors now. Just pick the length you like and have it cut back.

Man, i don't know of any sporter stock designs with a forearm that is too long for a 18" barrel..

I dont like the short forearm aesthetics either but even more so don't like them for functional reasons.

ODB

WKR
nothing at all new about long barrels and short forends. Its very british. This rifle is owned by an acquaintance and i consider its proportions utterly perfect.

350 Rigby on a slant box.

Rigby%20.350%20Magnum%20001_zpspuoaenkh.jpg

Reactions: 9.1
OP
still huntin
That Rigby is gorgeous. I hunt both synthetics, and walnut rifles. Thanks for the replies, it pretty much matches my thoughts on the matter as well.

OP
still huntin
Hey ODB, have you had the oppurtunity to shoot that Rigby, or is it off limits in that regard?

The shortening of the barrel will affect FPS, but I wouldn't expect that to change any terminal performance down range. You will have a lighter and more maneuverable rifle. I am all about the shorter barrels to gain those benefits.
If you are good with the gunsmith fees to do it, then go for it! You can compare the cost to sell used and buy another rifle in the configuration you want vs those costs.

OP
still huntin
Gotcha. I love old classic rifles with a little honest wear, and still out there getting it done! Very cool, thanks for the pic

OP
still huntin
Ya, I know I will lose a little velocity, but I believe the balance and packability is probably worth it, to me anyway.