Long Range Hunting: Hold Over Reticle, Dial or Both?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your post is too intellectual, reasonable and mature. Did you not know that you are supposed to be an absolutist and relinquishing your confirmation bias is weakness? You must go the way of the bushido and harakiri.
Hahahaha, one can always hope!

I remember trying to make sense of these arguments as a newbie… just trying to keep them in mind.

Fire_9

WKR
I still think hold over is faster and more efficient in very low light conditions at sub 350 yard distances. I’ve personally had to completely come off the rifle and hold the turret close enough I could read the numbers to dial. No way Jose that is better than using a clear reticle and good glass.
Big difference between 350 and 650 like you originally mentioned. You seem to have your mind made up about what’s best. Go get some real world experience and report back. It’s the only way to truly know

Fire_9

WKR
How many pins do you have on your bow? Guessing it is more than one.
I can understand the comparison to archery but I don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison. It’s pretty easy to remember 20, 30, 40, 50 for your pins. Remembering drops for a tree reticle is definitely going to be more difficult and would require someone to reference a drop card anyways. Being more accurate with an adjustable sight is why you’re seeing a shift in the archery world as well. A multi pin slider is the sight of choice for many western hunters because it’s easy to make a quick adjustment if an animal is moving within 20-50 yards but anything further than that, you’re probably better off dialing it in.

OP
General RE LEE
I can understand the comparison to archery but I don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison. It’s pretty easy to remember 20, 30, 40, 50 for your pins. Remembering drops for a tree reticle is definitely going to be more difficult and would require someone to reference a drop card anyways. Being more accurate with an adjustable sight is why you’re seeing a shift in the archery world as well. A multi pin slider is the sight of choice for many western hunters because it’s easy to make a quick adjustment if an animal is moving within 20-50 yards but anything further than that, you’re probably better off dialing it in.

1.75 ,4,7

That’s the MOA for 200,300,400 yards on my 140 ELD-M handloads. Super easy to remember like pins on my Black Gold bow sight

On my SFP scope, if I’m going to use the reticle I use 8x so the values are doubled. Adjusting the magnification to 8x is easy. The throw lever is centered on top at halfway point. Sounds complicated but it’s actually easy.

Fire_9

WKR
1.75 ,4,7

That’s the MOA for 200,300,400 yards on my 140 ELD-M handloads. Super easy to remember like pins on my Black Gold bow sight

On my SFP scope, if I’m going to use the reticle I use 8x so the values are doubled. Adjusting the magnification to 8x is easy. The throw lever is centered on top at halfway point. Sounds complicated but it’s actually easy.
All I will say is good luck. It sounds complicated because it is.

Fire_9

WKR
If counting hash marks on a reticle is difficult, you probably shouldn’t operate a vehicle.

It’s not that difficult on the flat range dude. Adding stress to the situation is where things go sideways and that has been stated by many people. I highly suggest running your hunting setup in a NRL/PRS match to see how it works out for you. It’s not the same as hunting but there’s a lot of crossover

Im kind of curious why you even posted this question. You very obviously lack experience in this discipline and yet argue with people when they offer other answers. If you already had your mind made up why even ask the question?

OP
General RE LEE
It’s not that difficult on the flat range dude. Adding stress to the situation is where things go sideways and that has been stated by many people. I highly suggest running your hunting setup in a NRL/PRS match to see how it works out for you. It’s not the same as hunting but there’s a lot of crossover

Im kind of curious why you even posted this question. You very obviously lack experience in this discipline and yet argue with people when they offer other answers. If you already had your mind made up why even ask the question?

Fair enough. I like holding onto my confirmation bias. Don’t mess up a good thing I got going over here.