Long Range Precision Course Recommendations

jwatts

WKR
A friend of mine approached me about attending a Long Range Precision course this spring. We were looking at the 3 day course offered at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. Has anyone attended this course? If so, any feedback? Are there any others that we should look into?

A little background: we're both from Mississippi. I hunt out west a good but, he mainly hunts MS. The furthest I have to shoot and practice around home is roughly 500yd. He hunts some beanfields with the possibility of some 1500yd shots. We're both very experienced shooters, handload, and have our guns and loads pretty fine tuned. We're looking to get some fundamentals of shooting long range and have the opportunity to get in some longer range shooting at an actual range in the process.

Not all that familiar with what is in your neck of the woods but Altus in Baker, FL is probably within driving distance.

Did you see the other thread about classes that's open right now? Sorry, not familiar with the classes at Raton. If a guy is flying somewhere, I'd want to go somewhere with some terrain and hills vs a flat range.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Thanks. I'll take a look at that one. I didn't see that thread either, but I'll do a quick search.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I just signed up for a course with modern day sniper. They do courses all over the US and seem to be very knowledgeable. I really like that they don't just focus on one discipline of long range, they're into long range hunting, competition, etc. They've got quite a few videos on youtube as well to kind of see what they are all about.

Has anyone actually taken one of these courses and thought it was worth the money? I have a local guy that does them but he’s a little pricey and wants you to bring about 400 rounds of ammo. It’s a 3-4 day event.