Long range wolf hunting

Moe.JKU

FNG
Well i am looking for a new caliber for some long range wolf hunting probably coyotes as well. I have been asked to help some fellas out, for the next few years and figure its as good of excuse for a gun as any. (i've only been using a 30-06, never needed anything else).I am wanting to get into a lighter caliber preferable. If you were to choose a cartridge for wolves at long ranges what would it be and what distance would it be roughly good for do you think? They are saying it could get up to 500+yrds. I am not looking to go do a custom build on this so any ideas for me to look at is appreciated. I don't want to blow apart the animal either as they are going to use the pelts.

243, 260 are both great long range "lighter" calibers for ya... for 500 yards though your 30-06 is more than capable provided it's accurate!

Mike

OP
M

Moe.JKU

FNG
Yeah i figured it would be, but who knows how long I will eventually want to shoot and its always nice to get something new.

260 with 140 AMAX is good medicine at distance and won't blow big exits like Bergers.

300 SMKs work well,too, if you want to really step it up:)
upu4eny6.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
I shot one this year on the run at over 450 this fall with my 30-06, that said I have an AR in 5.56 that I use. Those suckers seldom stop and are always trotting or running. My AR lets me walk the lead in on them and FMJs are more fur friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjLDnMjB_A

...... Those suckers seldom stop and are always trotting or running. ...

You aren't kidding about that. I've seen several dozen in the wild, and only been fast enough to get shots off twice. Missed both times! A moving wolf in the brush is a VERY challenging target.

Can't help much with the caliber. Both times I had a chance at a wolf I was carrying a .375 H&H, which isn't exactly ideal. An AR for normal ranges, or a .243 long range would be my choices if I was starting with a clean slate. I used to carry a 6.5x55 (essentially identical to a .260) for that purpose, but never managed to actually kill a wolf with it.

Yk

Zbowman1

WKR
Remember these animals can be similar in size to a whitetail deer and most places that you might find one to shoot I wouldn't want it to run far after a hit. Don't go to small, IMO

OP
M

Moe.JKU

FNG
Yeah i think they can get up to 160lbs where i will be hunting them which is a good size. I might end up getting some mods done to the gun to help out but i don't want fully custom everything. Probably start off with a savage they have always treated me well. Ill look into the 243 and the 260. I have heard good thing about the .257 weatherby and the .240 as well as some of the flattest shooting long range guns. Would these compare to the .260 and .243?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll second Zbowman1 on that... I've heard a few stories of them getting away when hit with .223's. I have no idea how well or how poorly they were hit or what the bullet type may have been, but don't underestimate the size and toughness of a wolf.

These can be awfully big dogs so you might want to use a bullet designed for big game and deal with a little hide damage. A hide with a big hole in it will be a lot better looking than one running around in the woods still with a little one. I am using a 7mm STW with 168 grain accubond LR bullets. I can reach out to 1000+ in ideal conditions. When you start talking long range you need to start thinking about heavier bullets and better ballistic coefficients to help minimize wind drift.

DC

mtnkid85

WKR
I have been considering a 6.5 Grendel in an AR for just this type of work. Something with a light profile 20" barrel would work well I think.

AZ Vince

WKR
I have been considering a 6.5 Grendel in an AR for just this type of work. Something with a light profile 20" barrel would work well I think.

I like the way you think.
As I was reading this thread I drew the same conclusion. You just beat me to the punchline. :)

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
I like the way you think.
As I was reading this thread I drew the same conclusion. You just beat me to the punchline. :)

Yes its somewhere towards the upper middle of my want list. The company Specialized Dynamics does some real nice work on ARs in that caliber. I am thinking just a plane jane build, 20" barrel with a carbon float tube, ACE ARUL stock and a 2.5-10x scope. Try to keep it light for packing but still have the heat to take a wolf at ~5-600yrds. Could be used as a dandy deer rifle too, perhaps elk under the correct conditions.

Broz

WKR
If you were to choose a cartridge for wolves at long ranges what would it be and what distance would it be roughly good for do you think? They are saying it could get up to 500+yrds. I am not looking to go do a custom build on this so any ideas for me to look at is appreciated. I don't want to blow apart the animal either as they are going to use the pelts.

I have been hunting them for a few years now and will tell you this. I will not be caught out there with anything smaller than my 300 win. Shots can be at 1000 plus easy. If you see one bedded you have basically two choices, shoot from there or risk spooking him sneaking in. A 300 win sendero with 215 Bergers will be the best defense against wind in these situations. I do have a custom but have taken many antelope between 1000 and 1300. That is unless I am packing my 338. Nothing smaller for me thanks.

Jeff

I think the 6mm Remington or a 25-06 would both work out really well for you. Both are flat shooting and carry enough down range to work well for you.