Long term/high round count Ruger Americans?

Igloo

FNG
Hey all,

Does anyone have any stories/experience with a Ruger American and high round counts and lots of actual use? Or, problems/issues/parts breakage before getting there?

I know they ain't as durable as something like a Tikka. No confusion there. But I'm wondering just how far you can push one.

I have two here as fun guns (7.62x39 and 5.56) but neither has over 1,000 rounds through them. Nothing to judge off of yet...but no problems.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve got one 5.56 with around 800 (just a guess, but very confident it’s around that) and another with around 200. No issues with either so far.

Had a broken extractor from the factory and some chamber issues with the second one.
LGS swapped me out and haven’t had any issues since.

I’m kinda interested in round count on some of there as well.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
The quality/reliability differences between Ruger and Tikka that I know about aren't a function of round count. Feeding problems, roughness, large manufacturing tolerances, flimsy stocks, etc. don't really become more significant problems as rounds increase.

There may be problems I don't know about, but I haven't heard anything negative about reliability except for feeding issues. Those are usually present on day one.

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
The quality/reliability differences between Ruger and Tikka that I know about aren't a function of round count. Feeding problems, roughness, large manufacturing tolerances, flimsy stocks, etc. don't really become more significant problems as rounds increase.

There may be problems I don't know about, but I haven't heard anything negative about reliability except for feeding issues. Those are usually present on day one.
None of those have been an issue across several of them that I do/have owned or am shooting. Not one of those issues at all across 7.62x39, 5.56, 300 BLK and 6.5 CM.

Considering that all of them are working fine I think its fair to ask what makes them stop and how long that takes, no?

BLJ

WKR
I’ll add that my experience with the RA’s are with the AR15/AICS style mags.
No rotary mags.

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
I’ll add that my experience with the RA’s are with the AR15/AICS style mags.
No rotary mags.
The rotary mags aren't rotary mags anymore on the 308 and 6.5 CM at least. Last two I handled/shot were flush fit double stack of conventional design.

Reactions: BLJ