Longest you’ve waited to get a job offer?

boom

WKR
damn.. are you declining other offers in the hopes of this one?

Just follow up again. I've never not hired someone because they followed up too much. If anything it shows interest and initiative and I'd be more likely to hire them.

OutHeavy

FNG
Agree with the previous post that you won't be limiting your opportunity by following up again. And, unfortunately, I also agree that this isn't a favorable situation for you. If hiring plans changed for the company, and they really want to hire you, then they should be keeping you informed. Having you stand by while they interview another, or are waiting on a response from another is called keeping a candidate "warm". It's an art form and it doesn't sound like your potential supervisor is an artist. Both sides should be putting their best foot forward during the interview process. You, no doubt, did when you prepared and participated in the interview. They should be putting that same effort into courting you if you're the right candidate for the job. If this is the way they're treating you now it likely won't get better later, even if you are hired.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
damn.. are you declining other offers in the hopes of this one?

I am not declining other offers. I’m in the process of interviewing and preparing to interview with others. One interview will be in Alaska which my wife randomly is open to moving to all of a sudden.

Like a lot of you have said, I’m gonna keep interviews going until I’ve got an offer that I find suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I am not declining other offers. I’m in the process of interviewing and preparing to interview with others. One interview will be in Alaska which my wife randomly is open to moving to all of a sudden.

Like a lot of you have said, I’m gonna keep interviews going until I’ve got an offer that I find suitable.

best of luck bud. if it were me, the 1st company would call me right when my moving truck dumped all my stuff on some Alaskan driveway. :) i got my company to put it in writing right after my interview that they were gonna offer me the job. i slept pretty good for a month. again,,best of luck.

Did you ask for the job during the interview?

I am not an HR guy, just an employer and that is very important to me.
Also, call back and ask, if they have made a decision yet.

Aint that the truth, we just want to get shit done, not baby sit.
That’s the equivalent of saying ‘We just want to drive a car fast, not do the maintenance.’

edit - sorry hard to post on a phone - it posted before I was done.

shouldn’t have to babysit, but some leaders don’t pay attention to the ripple effects of their actions, then come to HR saying it’s someone else’s fault.

Did you ask for the job during the interview?

I am not an HR guy, just an employer and that is very important to me.
Also, call back and ask, if they have made a decision yet.
You literally want them to ask for the job? They applied and have stuck through the process, then accepting the offer... maybe your way works better, I am curious.

Curious your turnover rate? What is your business? How many EEs.

geniune questions not trying to be sarcastic.

You literally want them to ask for the job?

I thought this was strange too.

As GM at my employer I do a lot of the interviewing and I think it's self-evident that they're asking for the job since, you know, they interviewed looking for the job...

@OP we're a small company (dozen employees at this point) but if someone didn't make the cut after an interview, we immediately let them know because we don't want to waste their time or hopes. If it takes us time to get back to someone, then it's because we have another (or multiple) candidates of equal interest that we need to finish interviewing or testing as well.

Edit: Forgot to answer the actual question. Again from an employers perspective, I think the longest interviewee we've had out there before making an offer was around 5 weeks.

Hell, yes I want them to ask for the job. I prefer to hire people who want to work and bust ass, not look for a job. If they are unwilling to ask for the job, I may look at it, as not willing to go the extra step or do the right thing when no one is looking. It is just one of the things I look for in people. I also own a retail store and if you are not willing to ask for the job, you probably are not willing to go the extra step for the consumer. That is how I look at it and I know other people do to. I want people who want to work, not just find a job. There is a difference, mainly mindset.

Maybe they are at the interview to fulfill unemployment requirements.

To the person who asked about EE's, what are they?
I do employee 22 people full time, my company had it best year ever in 2020. I have had people retire off of me, 80% of my people have been with me over 5 years, with a couple of 20+ year people working for me. I expect alot and my team succeeds. There are only 2 college degrees in the company. I have one of them.
The rest are "uneducated, unskilled general workers", technically speaking, who bust ass, you don't find them by hiring people who don't ask for the job in the interview. I personally try to create an enviroment where my team can excel and exceed. If that happens, I succeed very well.

This one has been on my mind.
I have not read thru the entire thread, but.
Asking for the job shows the employer, that the person has: desire, drive and want.
That is the long story short. I also employ more career style jobs.

hodgeman

WKR
If another company offers you a job you want...take it.

I'm working Job#2 because the Job#1 employer drug my butt through 5 prolonged interviews and fiddle farted over 4 months of back and forth before issuing an offer letter.

Job#2 interviewed me, made a good offer that evening and wrapped up salary negotiations by lunch the next day...a week before Job#1 issued an offer. First hog to the trough gets to eat.

Remember, a company will never treat you better than the hiring process. If they're slow to hire...imagine what the rest of your career there is going to be like. After spending 16 years at a large aerospace company whose hiring process could drag on for 6 months through layers and layers of bureaucracy...I'll never do that to myself or anyone else ever again.

Titan34

FNG
So I’ve had two rounds of interviews at a company I respect and would love to be a team of. Interviews went excellent to the point that they hinted at my relocation becoming a reality. I was told that HR would be calling me after the new year. Middle of January I pinged my would be supervisor(who interviewed me), he had told me that HR was busy with end of year tasks, and he would ping HR again. It’s now turning into February and still not a peep. I’m starting to get a bit anxious and worried that it all fell through. Am I over thinking this?

3 days.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve had two rounds of interviews at a company I respect and would love to be a team of. Interviews went excellent to the point that they hinted at my relocation becoming a reality. I was told that HR would be calling me after the new year. Middle of January I pinged my would be supervisor(who interviewed me), he had told me that HR was busy with end of year tasks, and he would ping HR again. It’s now turning into February and still not a peep. I’m starting to get a bit anxious and worried that it all fell through. Am I over thinking this?

If you are waiting for something to happen, you are perfect for Gov't work. If private sector, they are waiting for you to make something happen and show initiative ... too many candidates in the job pool.

I applied for a Postal position in my home town over 30 years ago. My Mom just me a a "mailed/stamped" letter that she received a month ago from that Post office that they were ready to interview me for that position.

I own a company and could care less about people who "respect" us. I want employees who are aggressive, assertive, and will produce results. That means they need to compete and demonstrate their value.

Hell, yes I want them to ask for the job. I prefer to hire people who want to work and bust ass, not look for a job. If they are unwilling to ask for the job, I may look at it, as not willing to go the extra step or do the right thing when no one is looking. It is just one of the things I look for in people. I also own a retail store and if you are not willing to ask for the job, you probably are not willing to go the extra step for the consumer. That is how I look at it and I know other people do to. I want people who want to work, not just find a job. There is a difference, mainly mindset.

Maybe they are at the interview to fulfill unemployment requirements.

To the person who asked about EE's, what are they?
I do employee 22 people full time, my company had it best year ever in 2020. I have had people retire off of me, 80% of my people have been with me over 5 years, with a couple of 20+ year people working for me. I expect alot and my team succeeds. There are only 2 college degrees in the company. I have one of them.
The rest are "uneducated, unskilled general workers", technically speaking, who bust ass, you don't find them by hiring people who don't ask for the job in the interview. I personally try to create an enviroment where my team can excel and exceed. If that happens, I succeed very well.
Interesting approach, thanks for sharing.

NY16ga

FNG
I think you're getting some decent input already, glad that some HR/recruiting folks weighed in though. Between leading teams earlier in my career and consulting for the last six years, I've hired at least a few hundred people and have overhauled this part of HR for several organizations. Most of that has been for nonprofits, schools/school districts, and small businesses though but my wife has pretty much always worked in the private sector, from medium-sized companies up to massive finance and publishing corporations. I've probably seen it all when it comes to the hiring process.

As others have said, there's a hundred different things that could be happening behind the scenes. Some are good, some are bad. COVID complications, the holidays, difficulty transitioning to remote work, smaller HR team due to cutbacks or parental leave, inefficient systems, other candidates in the pipeline, indecisive or untrained hiring manager, getting your benefits or offer letter or onboarding logistics set up...it could be all of these things or none of them. Speculating about them won't change it though and I think you're doing the right thing to just keep pushing forward and interviewing for other positions. In the grand scheme of things, it hasn't been all that long and it's certainly possible that you'll still get an offer (in my opinion) As a general trend I think HR teams are totally overwhelmed during this past year, much more so than pre-COVID times.

Reasonable followup is a good thing, especially if you have another offer on the table and can respectfully leverage that to get them to make a decision. If I'm recruiting for an indecisive hiring manager I love it when a strong candidate has another offer, it forces a decision. I wouldn't recommend checking back constantly though. Sure, the occasional small business owner might see that as initiative but my experience has been that it neither influences the hiring manager's decision nor speeds things up. For most teams even one vacancy can be a massive headache so I think they're generally motivated to get someone hired (relatively) quickly.

WCB

WKR
I applied for a new position in my current company. Did 2 or 3 interviews can't remember as I talk to these people everyday anyways. Took a solid two months from my last interview for them to contact me.

Didn't get the job but it was between me and one other candidate which I will say they made the choice that made the most sense going with the other guy.

Give them another week or so then contact them.