Longevity of chamber reamers?

Article 4

WKR
That's hilarious. 10 years ago there was a bunch of us on snipershide who shared our successes and failures with bore indication tools and techniques. There are some big names in that thread, guys who are idolized here.

I think it lacks confidence to not tell anyone you work for how you qualify their barrels and actions.

Mine is easy, I bulk with a rod and finish with a long reach interapid. Last step is to prove that on a B&S 50 millionth. The discussions we had on the hide led to some serious time saving techniques.

I don't keep any secrets. I understand not sharing a tool path code....but how we do work isn't a secret. There's no end to work to do and guys won't typically let just anyone hack on their rig.
I am kinda funny sometimes but Ill try not to make it a habit.

Opinions vary and this sure is the place for them and a great place for information. You shared both, which is your option, whether I should share mine is my option.

BBob

WKR
How a person indicates a barrel sure seems like an odd thing to keep secret.
Indicating and chambering a barrel can be one of the most hotly contested discussions on the Internet. I can understand his reasoning for not wanting to get involved. If you really want to know the different ways it can be done there’s already a zillion such discussions out there.

Fire_9

WKR
Indicating and chambering a barrel can be one of the most hotly contested discussions on the Internet. I can understand his reasoning for not wanting to get involved. If you really want to know the different ways it can be done there’s already a zillion such discussions out there.

Oh I'm aware. Nobody was looking for a debate and methods weren't mentioned. I have just never heard anyone compare it to a hunting spot. It's just odd to me is all.

TaperPin

WKR
How a person indicates a barrel sure seems like an odd thing to keep secret.

I can understand not detailing how the process is done, because many customers will form odd opinions about the potential accuracy of the rifle based on the process and not the results of the finished product - especially with hunting rifles.

The same is true in many professions - when I get questions about a woodworking or finishing process, I don’t enjoy defending fine process details with someone who only has a rudimentary grasp of what’s important to the final outcome, so I always focus on the finished product. A very common question is what kind of spray equipment will be used on their new cabinets, because their father in law says to only use a turbine powered hvlp sprayer. Rather than explain which of 6 different sprayers might be used, it’s in everyone’s best interest to point to the work truck with a nice gloss white paint job and simply say, “A sprayer good enough for that level of finish.” Lol

Likewise, one of the better granite countertop guys in Boise doesn’t have a $100k CNC water jet cutter, but cuts and finishes everything in his one car garage with rather simple tools. I even worked with a guy who had a mobile granite table and he cut and finished slabs on-site at the client’s property. In either case, judging them by their process and not the outcome would be a mistake.

Fire_9

WKR
I can understand not detailing how the process is done, because many customers will form odd opinions about the potential accuracy of the rifle based on the process and not the results of the finished product - especially with hunting rifles.

The same is true in many professions - when I get questions about a woodworking or finishing process, I don’t enjoy defending fine process details with someone who only has a rudimentary grasp of what’s important to the final outcome, so I always focus on the finished product. A very common question is what kind of spray equipment will be used on their new cabinets, because their father in law says to only use a turbine powered hvlp sprayer. Rather than explain which of 6 different sprayers might be used, it’s in everyone’s best interest to point to the work truck with a nice gloss white paint job and simply say, “A sprayer good enough for that level of finish.” Lol

Likewise, one of the better granite countertop guys in Boise doesn’t have a $100k CNC water jet cutter, but cuts and finishes everything in his one car garage with rather simple tools. I even worked with a guy who had a mobile granite table and he cut and finished slabs on-site at the client’s property. In either case, judging them by their process and not the outcome would be a mistake.

I can see what you're saying but it's an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion. Those guys aren't sharing their process because joe blow public doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. It's not because they have some secret sauce.

Maybe I'm the outlier...

Reamers can go 100 barrels but..
It depends on the quality of the reamer, the barrel steel, lubrication and most importantly the person running the lathe.
In a bad setup; a man can break or ruin a reamer in short order.
There are too many variables to give you a better answer than that.

BP

This

All depends on the operator. Is the chamber full cut in 1 pass? does the operator pre-drill and bore and do a .005 pass for a finish? is it a carbide reamer? is it spec'd as "max dimmensions" ? Lathe speed, lubrication, barrel material( carbon or stainless)

Soo many variables.. I've seen endmills die on their first pass. I've seen other endmills go for weeks on the same program

Article 4

WKR
To me, in the world of blogs, posts, youtube and the like...a smith or machinist has to guard intellectual property that secures their business and their brand. It would be nearly impossible to patent....so sharing would be prohibitive.

This happens throughout the SHOT industry as well as in most others in our country.

Someone want to share, cool. Ill prefer to keep my intellectual property until it is time to pass it on to someone who has proven they want to uphold it to the same or better standards.

B23

WKR
I think if I had a smith I was paying to do work for me tell me oh that's a secret I won't divulge it would either be the last time they ever did any work for me or I'd collect up my stuff and say thank you but I'm going to look elsewhere.

I'm a question asking mofo and even if I know it's something I'll never actually do myself I still want to know how it's done. If a smith doesn't want to tell me that's fine I can respect that and have no problem with it but I also won't be using them either.

I was recently at a action manufacture and they asked if I'd like a tour of their facility. Uh hell yes I do! Having worked in a machine shop back in my late teens I had a decent idea of the different equipment and what it does but it was like being Charlie in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. We started with raw stock and progressed through to the assembly room and I asked a zillion questions along the way. Not only did they answer every question I asked but they held back not one single ounce and explained in depth every stage.

Wrench

WKR
We can't typically do that and hold concentric to the bore. We're indicating the inside, not out.

The true bore alignment system is where it's at.