Looking for a lightweight hiker

golfbum

WKR
Looking for a lightweight hiker with goretex.

currently have a pair of meindl comfort for hunter and vakuum hunters that I enjoy for more burley terrain or pack work.

looking for something for early season that is lighter in the foot and more flexible for softer terrain.

anyone used the vakuum light hiker or possible the Asolo drifter or fugitives?

may also add a trail runner type hiking shoe

any suggestions would be awesome!

4rcgoat

WKR
Crispi crossover pro light gtx,wore them last archery season and now they are my go to hikers.

dtrkyman

WKR
Asolo are my go to boots, just got a pair of Crispi crossover and the fit on the left boot is not great. I had Asolo horizon from sierra trading post, they were out of stock so I bought the Crispi, last I checked the Asolo were back in.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've used INOV-8 for many years and like their lines of trail runners. Currently, I have the 315 GTX which is a low-style shoe and the 325 GTX which is a mid. I have the latest G400 Pro on order and awaiting its arrival.

They're worth a look. Here are two videos by GoHunt. The first has the G400 GTX...it is the mid show in all black:

This is about the Mudclaw 300. I'm considering getting this or (more likely) the X-Talon Ultra 260. Neither of these have Goretex but grip like crazy and dry quickly.

Reactions: RCL
OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions!

still looking for feedback on asolo drifters or fugitives

I went with the Altra boot after far too much money spent on all the cool guy brands. Most boots were too stiff, too tight fitting, ridiculously priced...etc. The Altras have been good for their first 100 miles of rusck training.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a lightweight hiker with goretex.

currently have a pair of meindl comfort for hunter and vakuum hunters that I enjoy for more burley terrain or pack work.

looking for something for early season that is lighter in the foot and more flexible for softer terrain.

anyone used the vakuum light hiker or possible the Asolo drifter or fugitives?

may also add a trail runner type hiking shoe

any suggestions would be awesome!

Inov-8 Roclite 345gtx

I was a big fan of Solomon speedcrosses, but man they dont last long. Switch this season to a pair of Scarpa lite hikers and they seem to be holding up much better.

Dries

WKR
I also have the Meindl perfekt hunters which are the same as the Comfort fit line and I Love them!!! I thought I would try the Crispis out to see what the fuss was all about. The Crispis fit a bit differently than the Meindl. I have the Crossovers and The Attiva Mids and I am a bit underwhelmed by them. I have the Comfort fit hikers and the Comfort fit lite hikers on the way to try out next week.

f i was buying today, zamberlan trail lite evo gtx would be my pick....

i hunt in asolo shivers a lot, and they have been solid... them with some low gaiters like the kenetrek hiking gaiters is a great early season setup, and those shoes have been tough as nails... i haven't had a bad pair of asolo boots, but their fit for regular boots doesn't fit me well, but the lightweight stuff does... their cactus looks like a great option to me... like the shiver but not low top.

i have the crispi crossover, and i get some heel rub in them, and they really aren't any lighter than their summit gtx... the summit is a great all around early season boot, and that boot cost me some money... i went all in on crispi for a minute, but every dang pair i have fits different, so i give up on crispi, too much of a crap shoot on fit... they need a size/fit guide like zamberlan has.

i have a pair of altras as well that i wore a lot last year.... light and comfortable, soft sneaky sole, but they are a tad wide for my liking in the toe box, and they are supposed to be waterproof but are not even close to waterproof.... not sure if they ever were, all i know is i wore them about a week of hard hunting, and then had a day of rain, and they leaked like crazy by then.

i hunt elk in light shoes/boots, my summits are as boot like as i care to wear for hunting elk.... i know that's not the popular opinion, but the only foot problems i have ever had was in stiffer boots, my feet don't like them.... i also don't have ankle problems and don't like constrictive boots, and i have packed out a bunch of critters with minimal footwear without issue, so take my opinion for what it's worth, we all have different preference and, or needs in hunting footwear.

the zamberlan trail lite evo looks like a great early season boot, and they have a great warranty on their goretex (guaranteed for the life of the boot) i think that's a hard to beat early season boot, and light enough to fit most people well (fit gets more critical as you get into stiffer boots)

the crispi lapponia looks like a good option too, but i'll never buy another crispi boot without trying them on... i have one pair that fits better than any boot i have owned, and 2 pairs that don't fit well.... poor odds. mine have been great, but i won't wear 2 of the pairs very often, so it doesn't matter.

I just got some Salewa alps trainer 2s. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. Their heel lock technology is not a gimmick either. ZERO slip for me. If you are in between sizes, go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Pulled the trigger on some asolo drifter boots and agent hiking shoes. Should have them in a few days and will update with my thoughts.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some Salewa alps trainer 2s. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. Their heel lock technology is not a gimmick either. ZERO slip for me. If you are in between sizes, go up.

What's the fit like on those compared to other boots? I'd like to try some but no one carries them around me.

They come with a couple different insole options to accommodate wide or narrow feet. I measure 12.5 and dead smack between regular and wide on a brannock device. The 13 fits me very good. If my foot was a true wide, it may be a bit snug.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
They come with a couple different insole options to accommodate wide or narrow feet. I measure 12.5 and dead smack between regular and wide on a brannock device. The 13 fits me very good. If my foot was a true wide, it may be a bit snug.

Thanks. How does the fit compare to other brands like Salomon, Zamberlan, ect?

Thanks. How does the fit compare to other brands like Salomon, Zamberlan, ect?

They fit smaller than my crispis. Im having to put high volume insoles in size 13w crispis to see if they will fit. I also have a pair of Schnees Beartooths sitting here, and the 13w is too small with stock insole. The regular 13 salewa fits me great, and would be too small if i used a high volume foot bed. Been a while since Ive had salamons, but if I remember right, they are slightly on the small side. I think the salewas are similar If my memory serves me right.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Got my Asolo’s today.

First thoughts,

agent hiking shoes:
awesome! Fit is comfy and they look really well made. Love the gusseted tongue that will help keep debris out and the sole is nice a tacky. Have been wearing them around most of the day. These will be winners if they hold up a year or two.

drifter evo:

again seem really well built. Not overly stiff but stiffer then Salomon quest. Roomy fit. Maybe to roomy for me. Super comfortable and no heal slip but wider then I prefer. I will try some hikes in them and probably throw a high volume footbed in them to try to take a little of the volume out. Not crazy about the laces and lack of a Lacing lock. Boot is super comfortable!!!

Overall super impressed with my first go at asolo and will put them through their paces.