Looking for a new flashlight and headlamp setup (18650 rechargeable)

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a new flashlight and headlamp setup.

Criteria:
I want both to use 18650 rechargeable batteries for redundancy (so I can recharge with my anker battery pack via mini USB)
Both must have red light source (to travel in the dark and not spook game)
Both must have either blue or high CRI white light setting for blood tracking
Nothing crazy heavy
Nothing crazy expensive (over $100 each) The cheaper the better though so I don't throw a fit if I lose it :)

Any suggestions?

Headlamps Considered so far:
Fenix HL60R (red light source is only 1 lumen)
Nitecore HC65 (leaning toward this one since it has a higher lumen red light at 11 lumens)

Flashlights considered so far:
Nightcore SRT7GT or SRT9
Fenix TK25

KyleR1985

WKR
I have the hc65, although have only had it for about three weeks. No complaints so far. I went from the aaa eating black diamond lamp to this for battery compatibility as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've had several issues with Nightcore. Mainly not turning on. If I was buying one now it would be a Zebra Light 600 series.

OP
krist003

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
Those zebras are nice but don’t have many features. I think I would miss not having the red light when I am in sensitive areas early in the morning

I ordered a nitecore NU32 just to have. It has white, red and high CRI with an integrated rechargeable battery. Seems like a decent option even if it becomes a backup

The nitecore MH27 flashlight caught my eye too. I feel that Nitecore just has a lot more options that are valuable to a hunter.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Those zebras are nice but don’t have many features. I think I would miss not having the red light when I am in sensitive areas early in the morning

I ordered a nitecore NU32 just to have. It has white, red and high CRI with an integrated rechargeable battery. Seems like a decent option even if it becomes a backup

The nitecore MH27 flashlight caught my eye too. I feel that Nitecore just has a lot more options that are valuable to a hunter.

I thought so too. But I don't trust them.

accurat

FNG
Zebra. I think i have 4 of them now. I retrofitted a generic red filter to one and it works like a charm. they make a headlamp that takes 18650s thats pretty slick and one of the smaller 18650 lights around. They have always been super reliable with a nice, usable set of features, although i dont use them all. Just make sure you get the right 18650 protected cells. Some zebras cannot use button top cells IIRC. Not a huge issue, just one to be prepared for.